• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Super Imp getting torsion axles and full cab

nutsster

I have always dreamed about modifying a Super Imp with torsion axles after successfully installing torsion axles under my Imp 1402. This fall the project was started.:clap:

_DSC0006.jpg

View attachment 65639

My plan was to install four torsion axles to increase the foot print from 6 feet to 8 feet.:w00t2: To do this we need to relocate the OC-12 differential aft about 18". The additional length would improve the ride, reducing the pitching moment that is so bad in the Imp. The increased track surface will make it float much better in deep powder.:w00t2:

20130109_195030_edited-1.jpg

The larger wheels on the torsion axle also require the chassis to be lifted about 6" to give it the needed grouser to bottom of cab clearance. This was done by installing a 2"x6" - 1/4 inch thick channel running full length under the chassis.:ermm:
We made brackets to attach the torsion axles to the channel and make them removeable. The front axle was made to facilitate adjustment of track tension, similar to the LMC1500.

20130109_194827_edited-1.jpg

We decided to chop the rear chassis where the OC-12 mounts up, to completely rebuild it stronger than the "cracked-up" original.:sad: It looked much easier to fabricate new than to make do with the "not so good". 1/4" plate will be cut on the plasma table to extend the chassis and to relocate the differential back about 18" and down, to match the top of the sprocket with the top of the wheels. When the differential is finally fitted, the drive shaft will be lengthened to fit.
I will have more images as we proceed. I hope to have the rear end done this week, so we can start on the cab.

Attachments

• 20130109_180040_edited-1.jpg
    20130109_180040_edited-1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,187
Last edited:

nutsster

Today we got the rear chassis extensions cut out and installed. We ended up moving the differential back 10" and down about 6" from it's original position. I said 18" in the previous post, but ended up needing only 10". The track footprint length is still 8 feet, up from the original 6 feet. A huge improvement.:biggrin:

20130110_195633_edited-1.jpg

20130110_175239_edited-1.jpg

By the end of the evening, we managed to get the bed frame added too. I'm making stronger mounting plates for the side of the differential tomorrow. The originals were repaired several times and just not strong enough. I hope to have the rear end installed tomorrow. Then we can get after the cab.:wink:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking closely...

I'll be putting mine on sale here soon as we'll, would like to build a superimp next.

Snowcat Pat

Cool. I'll be taking notes too.
We have two Thiokol Super Imps (yes Thiokol) that arrived already chopped, and awaiting the motivation to restore.
Please continue to share your progress nutsster!
-Pat

nutsster

We got the differential installed Friday night. It is mounted much stronger than the factory mounting. We found several cracks and welds repairing the original side plates. The side plates take the rotational torque and need to be strong. We used 1/4" plates with flush mounting to the axle. The original had 1/8" plate and about 3/16" gaps on each side allowing it to flex and crack.

20130111_210013.jpg

It will be a couple of weeks before I get back to it. We are going snowcatting next weekend!

cheeto

Cool. I'll be taking notes too.
We have two Thiokol Super Imps (yes Thiokol) that arrived already chopped, and awaiting the motivation to restore.
Please continue to share your progress nutsster!
-Pat
Can you explain what this means to a newbie trying to learn all he can please?

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
Can you explain what this means to a newbie trying to learn all he can please?

Qwest (local telco) auctioned off a bunch of Imps a year or so back and their lawyers were concerned about liability so they first chopped them into two or three large pieces. I believe Pat picked up one or more of them. Think of it as a custom snow cat kit with "some assembly required".

Ron

Cruzco

I am thinking of doing the Torsion Axle upgrade to my Imp . Do you have a picture of the side of your Imp that would show me the difference in Track Lenghth and Ground Clearance ? The pictures you have here a great looks like a very well thought out project.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
View attachment 65640

We made brackets to attach the torsion axles to the channel and make them removeable. The front axle was made to facilitate adjustment of track tension, similar to the LMC1500.

View attachment 65641

Nutsster,

Could you please make some extra pictures of the track tensioning system that you talk about here... Would love to get some more description verbally & picture if possible.

Thanks!!!

Nuttster

As always this cat is sure to be an inspiration.. Excellent idea on the design. Your track tensioner looks great as does the improved mount for the rear axle. Please keep the pictures coming.

d2doug

I did an axle conversion on a forest service super imp back in the late 80s. Only one problem,with the blade raised, the original front idler sat higher than it was and the cat nose dived because of less support. Other than that, it worked great. Northern Tool used to carry a stub torsion hub assembly, that with using the same diameter wheel as the other axles, would have given the needed support. It could have been welded on to the same adjustment bar also.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did an axle conversion on a forest service super imp back in the late 80s. Only one problem,with the blade raised, the original front idler sat higher than it was and the cat nose dived because of less support. Other than that, it worked great. Northern Tool used to carry a stub torsion hub assembly, that with using the same diameter wheel as the other axles, would have given the needed support. It could have been welded on to the same adjustment bar also.

So are you saying that its better to convert to torsion axle setup as the Sprytes have for the SuperImp as well, and it would be better for using the plow, or NOT better? :)

Thanks,

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I think what he is saying if you want to carry a plow don't use the ramped track concept that the imp uses use a large front road wheel like a sprite. some things to think about 1 northern hydraulics axles suck for this application, I used them on my first attempt to do a big wheel conversion on my snow trac. they failed miserably. second if you wrap the front wheel with a wide track you may have problems with the stamped trailer wheels, as the track flexes with the terrain its going to twist the wheel until it cracks and fails. I would look into a skookim type wheel and tire combo like a perma groomer wheel, or a fork lift solid tire wheel . other wise I agree building a track platform like the sprite will give you more surface area and a better ride.