• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hey People

I am a 37 year old single mom. I am now off work taking care of my father who has cancer. I want him to stay in his home as long as possible. I do not get to leave him often. I get bored so I figured this would be entertaining. I love to discuss issues and debate and banter. I am a little confused at how this works but I will figure it out lol.

20140329403292377434_zps1cc3fe1b.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi there BD. Sorry to hear about your dad. Been there done that with my dad. You are off to a good start since you figured out how to start a new thread already. It's all downhill from here.
Welcome!!!! Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum. This place is a great way to relax and talk about anything that crosses your mind.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the FF Group .

Quite a few of us have been through what is happening in your life right now . It is a tough road to go down . I have no magic words of wisdom other than to not keep your emotions bottled up if things become worst . I did that with my Dad and it damn near caused me to check out on life . I saw so many emotional & mental changes in my dad that I did not even think it was the same person at times . Started to drive me nuts .We all wish you the best and will be around here if you need to talk or just relax a bit and enjoy our site .
Debate areas on FF can get heated as people strongly believe in there passions . Every one knows that I am the only one who is always right here .....:biggrin:.
So what is or was your favorite hobby ? We have all kinds of discussion here .Join in , we would like to hear more .

Well thank you Big Al. People don't realize all the phases you go through when you are watching someone slowly die from cancer. It has been hard to see my daddy stripped of everything. I've had to watch the strongest man I've ever known become the weakest person I've ever seen. It is so hard to look at someone you love and know that there is something inside of them that is gonna take them away from you. Like you said it can drive you nuts. That's mostly why I am here. To keep my mind occupied.

Thank you all for the welcoming.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well thank you Big Al. People don't realize all the phases you go through when you are watching someone slowly die from cancer. It has been hard to see my daddy stripped of everything. I've had to watch the strongest man I've ever known become the weakest person I've ever seen. It is so hard to look at someone you love and know that there is something inside of them that is gonna take them away from you. Like you said it can drive you nuts. That's mostly why I am here. To keep my mind occupied.

Thank you all for the welcoming.

Rest assured that you and your father will be in my thoughts and prayers . Cancer is so cruel not only to the one it claims but to the others left behind . Pre screening is the best we can hope for as a preventive measure .
Every thing you said in your last post is exactly what I also went through with my Mother back in 1996 . If I may ask , have you contacted Hospice yet ? They were a Godsend for us as Mom coped with cancer . Very professional and caring people . They have my total respect .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi BD, my mother slowly died of cancer, lingered on for a couple years, one of those was mostly bedridden. She fought it back for a decade prior. Dad died of congestive heart failure, not nearly as long a struggle as mom, but still had many similarities.

I pray for you and your family. Its tough. Somedays are a struggle. Somedays you just wish it would all be over so a loved one would no longer suffer. Somedays you feel guilt that you wish it would end because you wished for selfish reasons.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been in your situation as well with my mother and as Al said there are no words any of us have that can make this
better for you. All we can do is be here at this end of the electron stream to lend a sympathetic ear, and share our stories.

In the meantime. welcome to FF! There are a lot of good folks here ... and Al was correct about being the only one who is
always right. The problem is that he never actually posts any of the "right" stuff, just the stuff he can't get away with at home!
:yum::yum::yum:

Leni

What you are going through is very difficult. It is necessary for you to get away once in a while if only for a few hours in order to keep your sanity. Hospice is a good idea. One of my employees went through this with her husband. It turned out that their insurance had a respite clause. It meant that he would periodically be moved to a convolescent hospital for a week so that she had some time for herself. It was a life saver for her.

My daughter was diagnosised with brain cancer when she was 17. She is a surviver but I can certainly relate to what you are going through. Post often and enjoy the site. Also feel free to post about what you are going through. It really helps to let it all out.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
As others have mentioned, I am sincerely sorry to read about your current position. We are more than willing to listen, give (often bad, LOL) advice or simply have you laugh at our measure of good natured insanity. Welcome to out little digital corner of the vast intercontinental highway of communication.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to FF. I am the only sane one here so ask away.:whistling: I have seen the effects of cancer several times and have my own variety within my bones. It is a race between heart disease or leukemia as to which kills me. I ain't giving in to either. Getting away for recharge times is a much needed therapy for caregivers.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum.
I am sorry about your father. My mother died of lung cancer. It sure isn't easy.

fleamailman

(upon reading those words the goblin was simply returned then, looking at his late mother in her bed once more, yes those long months of downhill then, and that knowledge that however bad it was now, there wouldn't another chance nor way to say thank you in this lifetime, so still smiling, he just turned to beautifuldisaster and confided "...you know, looking back now, some things can't be done well because they're really not well in themselves then, and some things won't be done right because stuff like this is not right neither, but just once in a while up springs a chance to do something felt I suppose, and then that chance is gone forever, ah yes, life's angels are not there to be nice they're there of help you shine in their reflection, so shine on now...")

Last edited: