• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

cab sheeting

battdad

Hello all,
I have aquired a new snow cat project and I need to add some outside sheeting to the cab. I am looking for input on the thickness of the sheeting to use or what is the most common thickness of sheeting on most snow cat cabs. I will surely be using aluminum to keep weight down but need to know how thick. Any input would be appreciated

Trackrig

Have had friends use aluminum diamond plate - it looks real nice. I don't know if it comes in more than one thickness. Call your local steel shop and they can help you.

Bill

I order 1/16 dimond plate----I call it cover sheet-----easy to work with ---easy to bend---you can cut it with a circular saw----draw a sharpie line /spray wd-40 on the line and cut----carb cleaner will take marker off when done

o-ya cut sheet from back side-----lay your parts out backwards----you will have a nice clean edge on top side and also not scratch the good side with your saw

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hello all,
I have aquired a new snow cat project and I need to add some outside sheeting to the cab. I am looking for input on the thickness of the sheeting to use or what is the most common thickness of sheeting on most snow cat cabs. I will surely be using aluminum to keep weight down but need to know how thick. Any input would be appreciated

I closed up the holes in my *thing* cat with aluminum sheeting that was .063 i think, I sourced rivets from airplane spruce, and air-hammered myself half deaf. (Bucking Block and all)

I have photos and when this camera decides to agree with my point of view, I will post them here.

also there is a person testing some aluminum material on his spryte rebuild in another thread.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I would agree with the .063 as far as thickness, but I'd add that you would most likely want 5052 alloy, as it's more easily bent.

That's what Tucker used for the roof, door skins, and floors on the Tuckers I've owned. They used steel POP rivets to hold the aluminum to the steel framework. If you do that, I would highly suggest you prime the steel first to prevent galvanic corrosion from a raw steel to raw aluminum chemical bond. I would further suggest you use closed end rivets (something Tucker didn't do).