• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tire off Rim

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Went out tonight to start plowing snow and noticed one of my front tires was off the rim. It must have popped off when I parked it last. I have to back in a tight spot and must have cramped the wheel to tight. I took the wheel off and went to look for a service station. None open. Went down to my shop and put a rope around the tire and then a bar in the rope to get the tire to snug on the bead. I finally was able to get the tire to hold air. But the beed now on both sides is leaking. I filled the tire up, put it back on and plowed snow. I will have to take off again to get some bead sealer on it. I am sure by tomorrow it will be flat again.

murph

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
If the area you park in is cold, warm up tire good, that would help. Seating those front tractor tires can be a lot of fun, esp a R-1.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
Lighter fluid and a match?

Dave, do you know my neighbor? :yum: He did that for me a few times. It is a funny thing to watch and I'm pretty sure I'd never try it, but it sure is effective IF you know how to do it and you don't blow yourself up in the process.

daedong

murph, this is what you need cheap as chips, old gas bottle. tubeless valve stem, and a ball cock.

Attachments

• tyre blower1.jpg
    tyre blower1.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 75

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Went out in the garage and the tire is still holding. Maybe using it last night it sealed itself. I will probably still take it off next week and take it in some place.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
So what's the lighter fluid trick? You heat up the rubber enough for it to seal against the bead?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
So what's the lighter fluid trick? You heat up the rubber enough for it to seal against the bead?

You put a little lighter fluid (or gasoline :4_11_9:) inside the tire, and then throw a match at it. The little explosion seats the bead and pressurizes the tire.

It's an old off-road trick if you need to change tires without a compressor.

Needless to say, it's not the safest activity in the world. :yum:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
DaveNay said:
You put a little lighter fluid (or gasoline :4_11_9:) inside the tire, and then throw a match at it. The little explosion seats the bead and pressurizes the tire.

It's an old off-road trick if you need to change tires without a compressor.

Needless to say, it's not the safest activity in the world. :yum:

I like my rope idea, it has worked all the time for me. I lighter fluid trick would only have gotten the tire up against the rim. It would not have stopped a small leak around the seal.

murph

dzalphakilo

Banned
Murph, yourself being in the HVAC business, I KNOW you have to have a couple of bottles of nitrogen laying around. All the service techs I know take a bottle of nitrogen with then when they take their boats to the shore in case if their trailer gets a flat.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
thcri said:
I like my rope idea, it has worked all the time for me. I lighter fluid trick would only have gotten the tire up against the rim. It would not have stopped a small leak around the seal.

murph

Ratchet straps is what I had always used.