• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

#$%#!@ Washer

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Three year old Kenmore front-loading high efficiency washer just started leaking! :mad: This model was highly rated by Consumer Reports. I just know it would cost more than $100 to get a repair guy to fix it.

I went on Craigslist and there are tons of nice looking 2-3 year old washers & dryers for less than $300! I found a nice washer for $100 closer to me than any appliance store.

I'm going to pick this used washer up today and see if I can fix my old one on my own. I'll just keep one of them around for a spare.

I'm never buying a new washer/dryer again. I'm just going to treat them as disposable.

Of course, my wife would like nice new matching appliances but since I do most of the laundry she doesn't have a leg to stand on!:whistle:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can honestly say throughout my marriage that the ugliest words my wife can say is

"The washer's (or any major appliance) broke"

it tears my guts out because I despise working on them and it never comes at the right time (if there is one)!

Good Luck PB!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll dig out the warranty information but after three years I suspect the only things that are covered are the stuff that will never break like the metal tub. Most of these warranties are full of holes after one year.

I'm almost scared to take it to the Sears approved repair place since it will probably cost $25 just to get them to look at it. Then $50 for a part plus $50 for some guy to put it in. There's $125 to fix a washer that I don't even really like to begin with (yes that's part of the problem too)

Can you detect my skepticism? ;)

At this point for $100 I'll be happy to have a back-up washer around. I may just fix up my Kenmore and then sell it and see what I get for it on Craigslist. Then buy a nice match set for $300 on Craigslist a little later. There seems to be a lot of people that dump their almost new appliances when they get a new home or they are moving. Why pay $1000 for something new that may break in 2-3 years when you can gamble $300 on something that will probably last just as long.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
At this point for $100 I'll be happy to have a back-up washer around. I may just fix up my Kenmore and then sell it and see what I get for it on Craigslist. Then buy a nice match set for $300 on Craigslist a little later. There seems to be a lot of people that dump their almost new appliances when they get a new home or they are moving. Why pay $1000 for something new that may break in 2-3 years when you can gamble $300 on something that will probably last just as long.

Sounds like a good plan. Couples combining two houseolds into one do not need two sets of washers and dryers. I figure a good portion of them are sold for that reason. Probably not a thing wrong with them.
....or they didn't like it to start with, and it broke, they patched / fixed it and put it up for sale. :yankchain: :D

Cityboy

Banned
I tried the used washer thing once and didn't like it. I was in a pinch and didn't want to drop the money on a new one. We got a few loads out of the $100 washer and it broke too. We wound up with a new one anyway and spent $100 more than we had to in the process. If you are careful, you can get a good used washer cheap, but you never know what you are really getting in most cases. A new top loader is not all that expensive and are more dependable than the front loaders from what I have seen recently. All front loaders will leak eventually and then you will be spending money on repairs that you thought you saved in water and energy usage with the super-duper electronic front loader.

We stick to good solid analog control washers. With appliances, simple usually equals better dependability and less money over time.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I picked up a used one for $100. I'm going to "try" and see if I can fix the other one myself. I found the parts diagram. FWIW, I'll probably just curse and swear a lot and we'll see how long the $100 one runs for.

If I manage (big if) to fix the front loader then I'll keep the other one as a backup. The front loader is better for the septic - that's what I have to keep telling myself.

Thanks,

PB

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Our matching stackable set (5 year old Kenmore built by FRIGIDAIRE) washer busted about a month ago. It was one of the top springs that holds the tub up that had snapped. Thank god we were home as the whole unit move about a foot away from its resting position. The drier is propane.
We bought the Whirlpool DUET washer for the replacement and couldn't be happier. When the drier finally goes, we'll get the duet drier to match. I can take photos for you if you'd like if you think they would help you. Good luck with your repair.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
We ended up buying the real fancy LG models with the steam and all that other stuff that I have no idea how to use. Absolutely huge load capacity as well. Very quiet running equipment.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
waybomb said:
We ended up buying the real fancy LG models....

Ahhh, the Lucky Star brand better known as Goldstar. I've heard that their customer support is terrible and it is very hard to get parts if something goes wrong with them. Good luck with your purchase.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for all the good pointers everyone.

I did notice a ton of concrete dust in the bottom of the washer when I opened it up. It looks like they use concrete in the counterbalance weights. Not sure why it wasn't sealed or if the dust is indicative of something else that has been broken for a while.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a MayTag neptune bought in 2000.. lots of recalls & problems. Mine worked fine except it would cut-off between cycles.. a pain.. but just had to hit the ON button to getting going again.

Last week the lock mechanism burned out.. it burned out a diode on the circuit board.. one repairman($75) visit & new parts($275).. I installed the new parts myself & saved $100. Works like new.. & doesn't cut off between cycles now. ($350)