• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weekend fun,

mattfidaho

SAR Playing, errrrr I mean Training

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

mattfidaho

the side by side got stuck while climbing a hill in the cat tracks.... might have been some operator error.
the snow was wet and no real base to it, the temp was about 32F

mannix

the side by side got stuck while climbing a hill in the cat tracks.... might have been some operator error.

That picture and this comment put to rest the idea that a side by side with tracks would be a useful ski lift.

Sheesh. Operator error or not.....

Iain

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Obviously I wasn't there, but:

1.) The snow isn't all that deep to begin with.
2.) The "hill" doesn't look like much of a "hill".
3.) The cat tracks should have packed the snow making it easier for the side by side.

If the operator stopped while going "up" that might be a viable reason for getting stuck. But I agree with Iain, that's a pretty pathetic performance.

I have no Search & Rescue experience. With that disclaimer I would think that the requirement to do that work would be to have experienced personnel with capable equipment.

In a real Search & Rescue operation it strikes me the side by sides with tracks would be a hindrance.

mattfidaho

Obviously I wasn't there, but:

1.) The snow isn't all that deep to begin with.
2.) The "hill" doesn't look like much of a "hill".
3.) The cat tracks should have packed the snow making it easier for the side by side.

If the operator stopped while going "up" that might be a viable reason for getting stuck. But I agree with Iain, that's a pretty pathetic performance.

I have no Search & Rescue experience. With that disclaimer I would think that the requirement to do that work would be to have experienced personnel with capable equipment.

In a real Search & Rescue operation it strikes me the side by sides with tracks would be a hindrance.

agreed, this was a private member that got the side by side to access his cabin, where we were out training new members on sled and snow cat basic operations he wanted to see what his new "toy" would do and follow the cats.
I think part of the issue was him trying to stay too close to the slower moving cats,
I Know he could have made the hill if he hung back and then went for it after the cats made the top so he didn't have to slow down....

we have a vast "groomed trail" system that the side by side would do just fine on, and it is faster then the "ole cats" so I can see where it could be a benefit if there was an injured rider on the trail.

all and all I think it was good for members to bring out utvs and things to a training and find out for them selves what the limits are...

mattfidaho

Here is a video of right when he got stuck, he wasn't moving very fast and I would bet he stopped while going up the hill.
he did improve his skills that day.

^^^^^^^^^^^CLICK^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
up here we have 2 cats mine and a bv206 s&r goes out on sledds like they always have because they travle fast if there is a need for a medivac than they call cats into action if the search is long distance than we will stage out of their base camps

mattfidaho

up here we have 2 cats mine and a bv206 s&r goes out on sledds like they always have because they travle fast if there is a need for a medivac than they call cats into action if the search is long distance than we will stage out of their base camps

that is what we do also, sleds are in first, and if medivac that we cant get the cat too we have 2 Orion sleds and one new light weight 2 ski sled.
we should have our 700mhz mobile repeater soon.
both SAR cats have 700 and vhf, uhf radios that we can use if they become the base camp.