• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bûche de Noël

SShepherd

Ok, I'm looking for a great mail order Bûche de Noël
(see my thread in rants and raves )

I know whats available, maybe someone has stronger google-fu, or has a personal reference for one. I don't want one that tsates like a giant Ho-Ho

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Is this what you're taking about?

137.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I love those things. I remember growing up, it was always a big fight between my bro and I on who would get the end piece since the ones you buy up here have the ends covered in a sweet delicious icing.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, I'm looking for a great mail order Bûche de Noël
(see my thread in rants and raves )

I know whats available, maybe someone has stronger google-fu, or has a personal reference for one. I don't want one that tsates like a giant Ho-Ho

http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/...ry-gifts_7047?sliSearch=B%FBche%20de%20No%EBl

This showy holiday dessert makes a delicious impression – from the colorful frosting poinsettias on top, to the perfect spiral of feather-light chocolate spongecake and smooth, rich mocha buttercream inside. We bake, roll and decorate it all by hand, here in our own bakery, because there's really no other way to duplicate this kind of homestyle quality. Send as a gift or order for your own party. It makes a great finale to any holiday dinner because it slices beautifully, tastes divine.

BNdoc.jpg

SShepherd

http://www.harryanddavid.com/gifts/...ry-gifts_7047?sliSearch=B%FBche%20de%20No%EBl

This showy holiday dessert makes a delicious impression – from the colorful frosting poinsettias on top, to the perfect spiral of feather-light chocolate spongecake and smooth, rich mocha buttercream inside. We bake, roll and decorate it all by hand, here in our own bakery, because there's really no other way to duplicate this kind of homestyle quality. Send as a gift or order for your own party. It makes a great finale to any holiday dinner because it slices beautifully, tastes divine.

View attachment 50179

have you had it?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Have I had yule log?
Yes.. but not from this particular place.
Looks like theirs may be very good.
Are you wanting this for yourself, or to send to a family member or friend for the holidays?
Have you checked for a good bakery near you?

SShepherd

Have I had yule log?
Yes.. but not from this particular place.
Looks like theirs may be very good.
Are you wanting this for yourself, or to send to a family member or friend for the holidays?
Have you checked for a good bakery near you?

local bakery here consists of "country market"....a chain of local supermarkets

lol, hell......wife saw the price on a few and is talking me into trying to make one.

I'm thinking a spray bottle full of frangelico to spray the cake with before the filling:brows:

My mind is comtemplating the best chocolate filling for it:biggrin:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
local bakery here consists of "country market"....a chain of local supermarkets

lol, hell......wife saw the price on a few and is talking me into trying to make one.

I'm thinking a spray bottle full of frangelico to spray the cake with before the filling:brows:

My mind is comtemplating the best chocolate filling for it:biggrin:

There ya go!
Show us the results.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I am attempting this baby some time soon....

Ingredients

Soft butter for greasing
6 large eggs, separated
150g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
Icing and filling
200g plain, dark chocolate, broken into squares
200g icing sugar
200g butter, room temperature
2 tbsp Camp chicory and coffee essence

Decoration
Fresh holly leaves or leaves made from ready-to-roll coloured icing
Icing sugar or desiccated coconut

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Line a 23 x 33cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, grease with a little butter and set aside.
Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk with an electric beater until thick and creamy. Sift the cocoa powder over the egg mixture and whisk in thoroughly. Wash and dry the beaters and whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold a third of the egg whites into the cocoa mixture, then gently fold in the rest until evenly distributed. Pour the mixture into the tin and spread gently with a spatula. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until well risen and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.

Remove the cake from the oven, loosen the edges with a round-bladed knife and leave to stand for a few minutes. Place a piece of baking parchment on the work surface, turn the cake onto the parchment and leave it to cool completely – 30–40 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the icing. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, but do not allow it to set. Put the icing sugar in a food processor, add the butter and blitz until smooth. Add the coffee essence and 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate, then blend until smooth. Make sure the chocolate is cool, or it will melt the butter.

Take just over half the icing mixture out of the processor and put it in a bowl to use for the filling. With the motor running, slowly add the remaining chocolate to the icing mixture in the processor and blend until smooth. This will be used for icing the cake.

When the cake is cool, trim off the crusty edges. Using a palette knife or spatula, spread the filling over the cake, taking it right to the edges. Starting at one of the long sides, gently roll up the sponge, keeping the first roll fairly tight so it forms a good spiral shape. Spread the icing evenly over the cake and drag a fork through it to resemble the ridges on the bark of a tree.

Chill for at least 30 minutes to allow the icing to set. Decorate with sifted icing sugar.

Attachments

• chocolate yule log.jpg
    chocolate yule log.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 144