• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Custom Snow-Trac Rear Drive Sprockets

I machined the original 12 tooth drive sprockets and adapted new 18 tooth sprockets to slip onto the original hubs. Then welded together.

Cost me $60 plus a couple hours of time. Result will be about a 2:1 reduction, instead of the original 3.17:1. Top speed of 30MPH at 4000RPMs.

Attachments

• IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2758.jpg
    IMG_2758.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 279

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you have a very strong motor... or you will not see 4th gear all that often. But you still have the other 3..

15 tooth was the factory number for higher speeds. We have played with some 16 tooth, but not 18 tooth drivers.

Let us know how it works. With enough HP you will be fine.

Regards, Kirk

Is a bored out 2.5 strong enough, you figure? It's about 4 times the horsepower of the Volkswagen so I'm hoping so. I think it will still be overly low geared. 30MPH at 4000RPMs is like driving my car in 2nd gear. And there'll still be 3 lower gears than that.

luvthemvws

Can a powerful Snowtrac maintain enough momentum to upshift in anything beyond a couple inches of powder?
Or, are you relegated to staying in the gear you start out in?

I would imagine that with an engine with 4-5 times horsepower of the original, a guy could start off in any gear he wants. Maybe not with a heavy load or trailer.

I'm anxious to report the performance of mine.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can a powerful Snowtrac maintain enough momentum to upshift in anything beyond a couple inches of powder?
Or, are you relegated to staying in the gear you start out in?

There is more than enough mass rotating to allow you to shift easily and gain speed with out stopping. Just like a small car..

Personally I really don't want to go 30+mph in mime. I am not sure the suspension would survive the bumps and dips one would encounter.. or the pounding the operator and passengers would take. Maybe on a groomed trail it would be ok.. But a Snow Trac is not a tank. It was never designed to go that fast originally. The suspension pieces are not "bullet proof" and to maintain the light weight of a Snow Trac they are not bulldozer heavy at all..

To go way beyond the original design specifications is asking for a broken machine, and I don't like breaking things I guess..

Regards, Kirk

15 tooth was the factory number for higher speeds. We have played with some 16 tooth, but not 18 tooth drivers.

I was originally going to use 16 tooth sprocket's, but I chose 18 tooth because I wanted a number of teeth that was divisible by three. I figured it would be easier to clamp it into the 3-jaw chuck on my lathe with lttle fuckery. I'm glad I did, the jaws clamped perfect in between the teeth.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 182