• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Buying a military truck?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought is was pretty informative. Seemed like you covered the front end features of I belive the first truck twice?? No sure.

Some volume changes were noted along the way too. But all in all pretty good job of discibing. The first truck must have a turbo, by the sound. Explination of what to look and listen for on the far side of the engine would be nice. Also a bit about turbo cool down before shut down.

I would say a pretty good job all in all. It was interesting. Thanks.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
after some years of working on these rigs and others the duce origionaly came with a reo gas motor. the n/a multifuel compression ignition motor came in to play during veitnam, the motor was a military standard built by Hercules and also produced by continental and white in the mid 70's the ldt 465 came into play they had the loud schwitzer whistling turbo the duce motor ldt465-2 was rated at 135 hp with other versions up to 220 hp. in the late 80's the m35a-2 c came into existence this the c stood for clean air kit these had a lower boost turbo that did not make noise like the 109 van. by now most whistler motors are all clean air motors with pumps all being changed to clean air calibrations ,the motor smokes very little and hp is back to the restricted 135. some of the older lds and ldt motors intended for 5 ton use could crank out up to 180 hp which could make a duce fly. the cucv's could make great finds they for some reason didn't rust like the rest of the chevys the 6.2 in the blazer was different from the pick up motor as the blazer motor had an egr and restricted intake for emissions purposes. the pickups had a low axle ratio limiting them to about 60 mph but were equipped with a Detroit locker the blazers had gov lock traction aids. if you want I can go on m35 esp, m53 5 tons 800 series 5 tons and the 900 series 5 tons hemtt lmtv's het and the 915 line haul tractors. also there is the hmmwv and m973 small unit support vehicles or haggluns as us sno catters refer to them. my suggestion to any one looking at the susv uncle sam can't afford to keep his fleet running I'm betting your pockets aren't any deeper.