• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

All Hallow's Eve!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
From my good friend and daily advisor ;
HALLOWEEN

Pronunciation: hæ-lê-WEEN
Hear it! <http://www.alphadictionary.com/sounds/halloween.mp3>

[Podcast]
<http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/podcast/Halloween>

Part of Speech: Noun, proper

Meaning: The night before All Saints Day, when English-speaking children run about (if not [Link 1] AMOK) in scary costumes representing the menacing spirits of the dead. It is the tradition to play pranks on neighbors or offer them immunity from such pranks in exchange for treats, a practice known as "trick or treat".

Notes: [Link 2] [Image 3] Today's word is a blend of 'Allhallowmas'
and 'even', the predecessor of 'evening'. The Catholic Church of England, like other churches, tried to preempt pagan holidays with holidays of its own. The Church chose the day of Samhain [SO-win] as the vigil for their celebration of all the saints.
Samhain was set at the end of summer and the onset of winter, the season of death. The Celts believed that on this night the spirits of the dead returned to mingle with those of the living.
The confusion of the two holidays led many early English Catholics to believe that the dead arose on Halloween, too.

In Play: The result of this confusion was the odd combination of the profane and sacred we now celebrate on October 31 and, some of us, on November 1, too. The pumpkin lantern ([Link 4]
JACK-O'-LANTERN) was originally a hollowed turnip lantern placed in windows on Halloween to scare away the spirits of the dead that were supposed to wander about that night. The costumes children will wear tonight descend from the days when kids dressed up like those spirits, such as skeletons, ghosts and goblins, to take advantage of the beliefs of their elders and play tricks on them.

Word History: Today's word was originally All-Hallow Even "All- Saints Evening", when 'hallow' meant "holy" and "saint". So Halloween is the evening before Catholic All Saints Day, when all the saints are celebrated. Some still spell it 'Hallowe'en', the apostrophe indicating the elision of the V in "even". However, now that 'even' has been replaced by 'evening', the apostrophe becomes pointless. 'Hallow' comes from Middle English 'halwen', the descendant of Old English 'halgian'. It derives from the same source as the 'hale' in 'hale and hearty', and the greeting, 'Hail!' 'Hail'
is akin to 'heal' and, more distantly, to German Heil "health, salvation", a word used in those most unholy of salutes, Heil Hitler! And Sieg Heil! "Victory Hail!" used by the Nazis during World War II.

-Dr. Goodword, alphaDictionary

BOO!:w00t2:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the night that tradition - in this house anyway - calls for screening the last segment of Fantasia; "A Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria".

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Happy Halloween. Just got back with four out of six of the rugrats trick or treating. Three of them went back out. Nice having a full team of candy getters restocking my supply till Easter. Lmao. Three of them are gone back out for another round. Nice having a 13 year old in the mix. When he isn't giving attitude he can watch the younger ones. He offered to take two of them out who weren't done yet. Lol
04d5b25f48850dd2d76beeeef76ea028.jpg
1b71ab60725014af5676005468c4c3ca.jpg
8a2e6ba10283c535b5a97c27ab56dcef.jpg
cfa2db7367fdc46e10062e7ef039eb5f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The neighborhood Dads all meet at the end of my driveway to pass out candy. Being very rural and having long driveways, we never get kids coming to the house. This way, we can pass out some candy, shoot the breeze and have a couple adult beverages.

It's going to be raining tonight. Not sure how long we'll hang out.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We didn't bother carving a pumpkin this year. Just used my small ceramic one I painted when I was 9. It's been used every year since then.