• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UK to US voltage\amp converters

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
So the wife and daughter are headed to Ireland in a month and I wanted to get them a voltage converter so they can charge their phones and run their hair dryers. Problem is, none of the converters I'm finding can handle the wattage needed for a hair dryer or curling iron. Any helpful suggestions, keeping in mind that I wish to stay married?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
The hair dryer i would suggest just buy one when they get there as it would only be around £10 for a half decent one to last their trip from the local Tesco supermarket...bin it on the way home.

As for the phone what type is it??

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
The hair dryer i would suggest just buy one when they get there as it would only be around £10 for a half decent one to last their trip from the local Tesco supermarket...bin it on the way home.

As for the phone what type is it??

Looks like we solved our own problem. The appliances have switches on them already to change to 240v. All I need now is just an adapter for the outlets that has usb ports built in. Easy peasy, lemon squeezie.:biggrin:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
So what part of Ireland are they off to.....my wife's dear uncle Pat lives in Rostrevor ....a humble home with humble views.

Attachments

• 123.PNG
    123.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 172
  • 124.PNG
    124.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 169

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like we solved our own problem. The appliances have switches on them already to change to 240v. All I need now is just an adapter for the outlets that has usb ports built in. Easy peasy, lemon squeezie.:biggrin:

YUP, things like computers, iPhones, etc don't need voltage converters, they just need the cheaper plug adapters.

And as you already found out, many things like curling irons and blow dryers are dual voltage.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going through the same thing right now. It's been 5 years since I've been over there and I'm trying to remember what works with what. My solution is to pack the minimum and buy whatever you need over there. It lets the ladies have a great day of shopping and my son and I can sit in the pub until they are are finished. It's a win - win situation.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm going through the same thing right now. It's been 5 years since I've been over there and I'm trying to remember what works with what. My solution is to pack the minimum and buy whatever you need over there. It lets the ladies have a great day of shopping and my son and I can sit in the pub until they are are finished. It's a win - win situation.

I think they'd rather spend their time seeing stuff versus shopping at McWal-Mart. :w00t2:

As for me, I'll be diving in the Caribbean. :wink: