• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PTO SPEED ADAPTER ??

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I'm looking for a slide on adapter that will jump my 540 pto up to 1000 rpm. I run a pto generator off my tractor & need 2800 tractor engine rpm to get 540 pto speed.

My tractor has double the HP I need to run the generator, & I'd like to cut the engine speed down to save fuel.

Hubcity still makes one new, but the cost is such that I could buy alot of fuel before I'd recover the cost of a "new' one.

Please let me know if you know of one.

Thanks.........Tom

RedRocker

My tractor had a plate that prevented the lever from moving to the 1000 rpm slot, it was easy enough to remove on my Kioti. I'm guessing you don't have that option and this post is of no use in solving your problem.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
My tractor had a plate that prevented the lever from moving to the 1000 rpm slot, it was easy enough to remove on my Kioti. I'm guessing you don't have that option and this post is of no use in solving your problem.

RR........I just wish it was so easy !!
Hydro drive, fully independent pto, but not 2 speed.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tom,

What tractor do you have?

Is getting a different generator an option?

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Tom,

What tractor do you have?

Is getting a different generator an option?

New Hollands........TC 33D, and a TC40D, both hydro's & ind. PTO, but 540 only.

My gen is a northern like this: PTO generator although mine is a 10 K max. I never use the max it will put out, it usually runs at 50% load or less.

I hate to replace it........Just built a new trailer for it. I got the gen via a damaged freight settlement from a friend. A couple tin pieces were bent & the guards for the shaft needed replaced, but otherwise it's new.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm,

So I figure your generator requires about 20 PTO HP.

Are you worried about "brown out" conditions? If you convert to 1000 RPM's and a start-up load bogs the engine down (which could happen you're running at low RPM's), that'll drop your voltage. If electronic components are running and the voltage drops, I've found they turn to toast.

I'll keep my eyes open for an adapter but if my generator was PTO, I'd probably just burn the fuel. It may also be a bit harder to watch the engine RPM's to assure you're pushing out the correct voltage.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
The input gearbox I see on that thing is probably 6.5/1 stepup (3600/540).

I wonder if you could replace that gearbox with a lesser ratio cheaper than putting additional gears in front of it.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
The input gearbox I see on that thing is probably 6.5/1 stepup (3600/540).

I wonder if you could replace that gearbox with a lesser ratio cheaper than putting additional gears in front of it.

I'm not sure what parts would be available to do that. I know on the older winco pto gens, they used chain & sprockets in their adapter boxes, that ran in oil. If it was that type rather than the gear to gear style, it would be easy to split the case & just change out a different size sprocket & change the chain length accordingly.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not sure what parts would be available to do that. I know on the older winco pto gens, they used chain & sprockets in their adapter boxes, that ran in oil. If it was that type rather than the gear to gear style, it would be easy to split the case & just change out a different size sprocket & change the chain length accordingly.

Either sprocket/chain or direct gear, your best bet would be to call the manufacturer and see what is available.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Re-reading this thread it occurred to me you would need an even higher ratio, not 'lesser' as I wrote. Maybe 3600/360 (10:1) because your goal is to get the tractor's rpm down. I doubt there is space in the gearbox for a gear that large so a different gearbox that fits would be the only alternative. If such a thing exists it sounds simpler than an external stepup box.

Maybe that purpose-built pto adapter is the cheapest alternative after all. Is it 1000:540?

Or get one more tractor!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Maybe that purpose-built pto adapter is the cheapest alternative after all. Is it 1000:540?

!

The quote I got from a hub city distributor was almost $ 3K.

(maybe that was just their way of telling me they don't want to bother ordering one for me ?? )