• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

constructed my first repeater

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i just built my first repeater its a crossband 6 meter to 2 meter unit i plan on installling it at the wind farm on an 80 foot tower i put it together with 2 alinco radios and linked them through the db9 conector in the back.this repeater should extend my irlp range to about 50 miles out of town

Attachments

• repeater.jpg
    repeater.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 216

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Very cool. Finally getting IRLP and Echolink on our club repeater after two years of infighting. Should be operation this week once the computer issues are resolved. The old timers were fighting it, saying it was NOT ham radio. Finally got enough new members and the vote shifted in favor of coming into the 21st Century. I hope I don't go brain dead when I get old. Some of those guys think the hobby should be code only.

Annual SKYWARN training tonight from the NWS. It's good to get the refresher course as we enter into storm season down here.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry, I'm a noob... what does it do?
to explain a repeater it recieves a signal on one frequency than automaticly rebradcasts on another for every 100 feet you get 10 db of gain but who caan live on a hill top so the solution is a repeater you locate it in a high location there by extending your range of operation

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
to explain a repeater it recieves a signal on one frequency than automaticly rebradcasts on another for every 100 feet you get 10 db of gain but who caan live on a hill top so the solution is a repeater you locate it in a high location there by extending your range of operation
OK, thanks! Easier than moving up the mouintain, yes?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
at the location i'm looking at my radio horizion will be about 60 miles now terrain will play into the equasion which is the reason for using 6 meter which is not as affected by terrain

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
every thing ham is for public use but i think you are wanting to know if it's dedicated to my node and the answer is yes i plan on it being linked to my node for irlp usage

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
dds,

I'm going to have to talk my neighbor out of his....(yasuie or some thing like that) You remember the name I hope?? Anyway this is getting me curious as heck. It could have use in my business as well as pleasure....And be able to talk to you...:brows:

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you would need a vhf to use irlp the yaseu ft101 is a great hf rig as for a using it for buisness if you want to live by the letter of the law get a commercial radio and have your ham channels programed in to it than use a comercial frequency you are licensed for for buisness the alinco radio you see a is easyly converted to work in comercial bands but is not type accepted for that so you would be in violation of the law but a lot of people do it so the same radio can be used on company channels as well as for ham use

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Isn't that like the cross link that you can set up with your own radios? I think that is what it is called.
Yesterday I was in a large river canyon and was surprised to get an nearby echo link and phone patch. usually I use the local SAR 50 watt repeater and just get out about 50 mile radius. I keep mine close because I am always alone while cutting wood with my side by side.
One of the SAR guys loand me that radio . Kind of neat ,I had a local AM talk radio on and other channel waas scanning the bans.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
yes it is but find one that cross bands from 6 to 2 .tempature inversions and valleys can cause cool ducting effects to on vhf also if i loose a radio on this system i replace the radio with another. with a crossband system if you lase a section of the system you replace the whole system

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
we have an extensive vhf system but in the country there are some holes mostly right out of town 6 meter is not as terrain sensitive so hopefully less holes

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How did you make out on the repeater?
do you have any echolink ?
Jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i have not deployed the repeater yet as i have not had the time but it bench tested good

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Jim i don't use echo link as irlp works fine and kl7m has an echo link bridge on the alaska reflector. you just need to conect to kl7m