• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VA want to video our home

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the VA wants to have my wife carry he laptop around our home to do a survey to see if any obstructions need changing or adding for my wife. this will be done while they watch. she uses a walker.
this is to see things like adding handrails in bathroom .removing throw rugs stuff like that for my wife.
she'll walk to areas and show them what they are interested in .all done by computer.

we have no problems with them it is mainly for assistance.

it didn't sound like a good thing to do by computer.

jim

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: VA want to vedio our home

I don't understand how they expect her to carry a computer while using a walker. Video would be hard to watch. Overall I think the computer idea is okay but you or someone not using a walker would have to carry it.

I would think a smart phone or a go pro type camera would work a whole lot better than a laptop computer. I would prefer doing it with a computer or phone of some sort to a VA person coming to the house.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

I think there's been a miscommunication/misunderstanding here.
If they want to assess her needs, she wouldn't or shouldn't have to be the one lugging around a laptop.
If you haven't already, call and ask specific questions.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

it is her phone not computer. sorry,i never owned a cell phone
I decided just to let them go ahead with what they want. I don't think they'll see much tomorrow.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

it is her phone not computer. sorry,i never owned a cell phone
I decided just to let them go ahead with what they want. I don't think they'll see much tomorrow.

Now that makes more sense.
I've done home health assessment before.
Generally what is done is, like you said looking at safety issues if they're are any, hand rails secure, the right height near the toilet and bathtub, making sure there are minimal throw rugs, those are usually a big no no.
Outside ramp leading into your home and it's stability, and they're going to be looking at her shoes possibly to make sure they are non-slip soles, no open back slippers, etc.

Good Luck.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had someone come do a home assessment like that. It all boiled down to the fact that our place was too small to accommodate a walker. Our bathroom door was only a narrow 24 inches with no room for expansion. Odd for a house. And the master bedroom was too small to allow for a split king adjustable bed. Along with the fact that laundry was in the basement down a steep stair case I had a hard time navigating.

Canadian eh!!!