• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

5,000 Volt Can Crusher

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Why? Do not ask. Just be happy he is on our side.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocVqsdDQG8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- 100uF 5Kv Can Crusher[/ame]

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I use to work at a govt facility that charged a bank of 4ft high capacitors to 50K volts and 3M amps, then dumped it in uSecs into a device that slammed an aluminum plate into warheads. Fun. Scary. But fun.

UNCLAS

Many of the activities in Dual Revalidation maintain system knowledge to examine aging effects and develop supporting science, technology, and training crucial to maintaining the system in the long-term. Testing includes warhead hydrodynamic tests and magnetic flyer plate vulnerability testing. Complex three-dimensional computer models of physics package (DOE) and the re-entry body structure (DoD) are being exercised and benchmarked against test data from the development program. Critical test data from the development program and other related weapons tests are being recovered and preserved. Lessons learned from the W76/MK4 Dual Revalidation program will have applicability for the dual revalidation of other nuclear weapon types.

Magnetic Flyer Plate - A DSWA facility that uses the opposing magnetic force between two conductive sheets pulsed with a large current to drive one of them against the surface of an object to be tested; this provides a simulation of some of the nuclear weapon effects that might impact a reentry body.

Title: Magnetic Flyer Plate Technology
Abstract: A magnetic flyer plate impact can be designed to accurately simulate the x-ray induced stress profile in a re-entry body (RB) heat shield very near the irradiation surface. With the accurate simulation of the near surface stress history all subsequent vehicle responses must then be a good representation of those induced by the nuclear threat. A Mag Flyer impact at atmospheric pressure is the highest fidelity simulation shapes the induced stress wave profile. A major limitation on the accuracy and repeatability of magnetic flyer plate experiments is that the load magnitude and temporal history are sensitive functions of the flight distance. When operating in air, the desired loading conditions can only be achieved with short flight distances and the normal RB tolerances limit the accuracy of the experiment. This proposal presents unique experimental solutions that allow the flyer plate distance to be significantly increased while maintaining the desired load magnitude and temporal history. These changes decrease the sensitivity of the magnetic flyer technique to flight distance changes due to experiment assembly and/or within tolerance dimensional variations and eliminates a major limitation of the magnetic flyer technique. The feasibility of using alternate gases and modifying the capacitor bank to tailor the "gas spring" response to allow larger flight distances will be examined in Phase I. Butthead's analyses have determined that the flight distance can be doubled by the use of an alternate gas such as neon. Capacitor bank modifications that modify the ringing frequency of the bank and/or shape the current pulse will also be examined because achieving constant flyer velocity at early times also facilitates the use of large flight distances. A Phase Ii program plan will be developed that describes the necessary modification to the DTRA Mag Flyer Facility to implement gas spring technology and the required facility characterization program. The gas spring technology will decrease the sensitivity of mag flyer techniques to dimensional tolerances of the test articles and will significantly increase the Mag Flyer Facility capabilities to meet specific experiment requirements in terms of peak stress and specific impulse. Additionally, load uncertainties will be reduced. The improved facility will provide a cost effective AGT capability for selection and hardness evaluation of new materials and the certification of modified systems.

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I use to work at a govt facility that charged a bank of 4ft high capacitors to 50K volts and 3M amps, then dumped it in uSecs into a device that slammed an aluminum plate into warheads. Fun. Scarey. But fun.

UNCLAS

Under duress I once observed a semi-mechanized facility that was 726.4 feet high and 1,244 feet wide, took 4.5 years to build has over 15 generators that generate more than 4 BILLION kilowatt hours a freakin year and exceeds 9 acres of space.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Under duress I once observed a semi-mechanized facility that was 726.4 feet high and 1,244 feet wide, took 4.5 years to build has over 15 generators that generate more than 4 BILLION kilowatt hours a freakin year and exceeds 9 acres of space.

Sorry pally, you can't win.

Another place I worked...50 acres of space, generates heat hotter than the surface of the sun, blast waves eqivalent to a nuclear detonation, largest continuous pour of concrete in the world, enough concrete and steel to make *classified* homes and *classified* cars, uses enough power in 2hrs to supply a *classified* city for *classified* years.

Large Blast/Thermal Simulator
The Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) operates and maintains the Large Blast/Thermal Simulator (LB/TS), a state-of-the-art test facility. Originally it was constructed to simulate the blast and thermal conditions of a nuclear explosion in an environmentally safe manner. The LB/TS became operational in October 1995. In the last few years the simulator's capability was expanded to support anti-terrorism missions. The facility is capable of handling 20 nuclear simulation tests and at least 20 anti-terrorism tests annually.

Located on 50 acres in the northwest corner of White Sands Missile Range , N.M. , it is the largest and most unique blast and thermal simulator in the world. It is capable of testing full-scale military systems such as armored vehicles, missile launchers, communication shelters, radomes and aircraft. Nuclear simulation customers can test their systems using thermal or blast conditions, or a combination of both. The LB/TS is available to Department of Defense agencies, other U.S. government organizations, companies and allied government experimenters at a reasonable cost.

The blast simulation is produced by the release of heated, pressurized nitrogen gas into the 176-meter long, 20-meter diameter expansion tunnel. The resulting blast environment strikes the test object with a planar shock wave. Eight thermal jets located just before the target section of the LB/TS produce thermal simulation. By using the thermal simulation, a target is exposed to extreme radiant heat before the shock wave arrival, simulating the heat generated by a fireball from a detonated nuclear weapon. The simulator's integrated data acquisition system measures and digitally records over 200 channels of environment and target reaction data. The customer uses this data to evaluate their system for survivability and vulnerability from a nuclear detonation.

The LB/TS is also used to conduct anti-terrorism testing. It now has the unique ability to use high explosive detonation cord to test the survivability of material used for the outside walls and windows of buildings (the curtain wall) against simulated terrorist threats.

The LB/TS has been maintained to ensure that the basic system is operational and most tests can be performed without delays or problems. However, not all capabilities are currently available and recent increases in potential requirements in the areas of anti-terrorism and full-scale military systems have emerged. The expected increase in utilization rate will require advanced planning and scheduling from both the customers and DTRA to assure that needed capabilities are available without conflicts or delays.

The LB/TS capabilities are a result of more than 10 years of cooperative research and development between DTRA and the U.S. Army Research Laboratory. The LB/TS receives some additional support from the U.S. Army White Sands Missile Range, Test Directorate, Range Program Office.

Defense Threat Reduction Agency

DTRA safeguards America and its allies from weapons of mass destruction (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and high yield explosives) by providing capabilities to reduce, eliminate, and counter the threat, and mitigate its effects. This Department of Defense combat support agency is located at Fort Belvoir, Va., and operates field offices worldwide.

:mrgreen:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry pally, you can't win.

Another place I worked...50 acres of space, generates heat hotter than the surface of the sun, blast waves eqivalent to a nuclear detonation, largest continuous pour of concrete in the world, enough concrete and steel to make *classified* homes and *classified* cars, uses enough power in 2hrs to supply a *classified* city for *classified* years.

:mrgreen:

I met Megan Follows, shook her hand, and then gave her family a bottle of very fine wine. I spoke to Jay Lenos personal assistant. I met a VERY good friend of President Bush 41 and had a fantastic conversation with her that lasted over an hour. I met the 6th Doctor AND kissed Sarah Jane Smith!
Ive saved 4 cats from being out in the elements. Ive spoken to the person in charge of putting Anne of Green Gables on DVD after the 1st pressing which was a pixilated disaster... I told him about proper compression and encoding and was behind the 2nd and MUCH improved pressing on DVD.
William Shatner spoke to me on his forum. I (ironically) have caught 3 drunk drivers by calling into the police within the last 5 years. I have talked one person out of suicide. I also won 2 dancing contests... one of them was for the Chicken Dance.

Top that :smile:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
"I", use to light the burn barrel in our yard and could melt pop cans by the dozens... ran completely on trash... should apply for a patent of some sort...