• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB Variator assembly from a Snowtrac

Veedubfreak86

Title is pretty clear, Really just need it to start working on replicating it, it's the biggest piece of the puzzle

Thank you for your time

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the transaxle is a big part of the steering are you wanting the castings that go on it?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well here is the full disclosure:

I too have been re-engineering the application of the Variator. I intended to utilize a 5 speed Automation trans axle from a VW Passat with a 1.8L turbo engine.

Blame the FF member Louis for my desire.

If another member was headed in the same direction I would be willing to help.

I have a seasonal truck that goes to and would be willing to move items to el cajon. I am not making any promises, but I will have an automatic transmissioned snow trac before I mark a spot to be buried....

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think my transaxle needs a rebuild I hear it wine some. so i'm looking forward to seeing the auto one.
don't forget about reversing that gear.
jim

jask

You can add me to that list as well! my iteration is being planned around Subaru engine / transmission parts.... Thanks Louis!!! ;) I have been using this project as justification for acquiring all kinds of "toys" for my shop.

VWfreak - If you are planning on making more than one of your design you should talk to a few machine shops about the cost of the splined shafts and bevel gears required.. that and the cost of foundry work for the variators and housings will make that unit Svedka has for sale (with all those parts ) look like a bargain.... and you will have a testbed for your project.

Veedubfreak86

I too have been re-engineering the application of the Variator. I intended to utilize a 5 speed Automation trans axle from a VW Passat with a 1.8L turbo

Is there a reason you picked the VW transaxle ? are you set on this engine trans combo ? would you be willing to consider the Subaru boxer engine and trans ?

I think my transaxle needs a rebuild I hear it wine some. so i'm looking forward to seeing the auto one.
don't forget about reversing that gear.
jim

Jim, the VW passat/Audi A4 transaxle and the subaru transmission do not need anything flipped. Only mod to the subaru is converting AWD to FWD and that only takes a few hours and good Tig welder.

Sounds like we need a new thread in modifications instead of classified. But one last post here for me. There are sources of variator's of the type we need. Still have to make it fit..
One such
http://www.ptp-industry.com/en/vari-phi-types-a-b-l.php

Thank you for the link and I will start a new thread once i have parts in had and am able to make progress :D

Veedubfreak86

You can add me to that list as well! my iteration is being planned around Subaru engine / transmission parts.... Thanks Louis!!! ;) I have been using this project as justification for acquiring all kinds of "toys" for my shop.

VWfreak - If you are planning on making more than one of your design you should talk to a few machine shops about the cost of the splined shafts and bevel gears required.. that and the cost of foundry work for the variators and housings will make that unit Svedka has for sale (with all those parts ) look like a bargain.... and you will have a testbed for your project.

I have a few connections on small run/one off foundry work with a local guy At work we will 3d print parts and use the printed parts to make lost wax / PLA to do casting we have done a number of intakes and custom inter cooler bends to accommodate turbos builds. I would like to due a proof of concept before i start talking to a foundry to do runs as i don't like getting to many people involved until i am ready to move forward.

Also i See Svedka stuff for sale and if it was in the lower 48 within a day or two drive i would have already bought it but once you add shipping expense and buying site un see it makes me a bit nervous as to what i am truly getting.

AdkSnowcat

The one fellow installed the GM Ecotec engine into his SnowTrac. That sure looked interesting! It didn't sound like an expensive engine either. It did sound pretty terrific running!!!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Some useful information about the Variator
It is built around a standard bus transmission. Since it is installed backwards, one needs to swap the ring gear around in the transaxle so that you get 4 forward speeds and one reverse instead of the other way around.
The Transaxle is the "Platform" around which the Variator is constructed. The 2 axels were standard VW. Old style are "Paddle Type", the later ones are splined. They get cut down, a keyway machined in, and new splines on the end to carry the small sprockets. The all important castings for left and right tower assembly, it's associated shafts, the bevel gears, and the Pulleys (Chives), are not VW. Tower Shafts are not especially hard steel, bearings and seals are American (SAE) sizes. The 4 top chives, are cast iron. there are only (2), The top on the left is the same as the bottom on the right. The two sliding "cap" that they attach to are right & left, so different. Everything else is flat plate, except the "C" casting, (ST25). The hardware is "stock", the Thrust Bearings and their associated seals are available from several bearing manufacturers.

Veedubfreak86

Some useful information about the Variator
It is built around a standard bus transmission. Since it is installed backwards, one needs to swap the ring gear around in the transaxle so that you get 4 forward speeds and one reverse instead of the other way around.

I fully understand this concept when i rebuilt a trans axle for a friend back in high school i put it in backwards, with the reverse being so low we could almost get it to pull the front wheels off the ground and that made it a little better knowing i had to take it all apart again :/

The Transaxle is the "Platform" around which the Variator is constructed. The 2 axels were standard VW. Old style are "Paddle Type", the later ones are splined. They get cut down, a keyway machined in, and new splines on the end to carry the small sprockets.

I was wondering if this was what had been done, thank you for confirming