• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
20180607_231241-614x614.jpg

Very tired Mommy and Kiwi :in_love:

20180607_231217-335x390.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
This morning I drove to the fish farm to pick up 13 bags of fish for the lake. Essentially, it was 300 small Florida bass, in the 3" to 4" range, and thousands of bait fish. I hope that I live long enough to catch something worthwhile.

Spent most of the afternoon putting them in the lake. I only lost a few in transit. Darn, it was hot down there. Not a breathe of wind but I got it done.

After I had cooled off a bit I went over to the farm to work on my S-I-Ls RV. I didn't get much done as my S-I-L wanted to talk. She had a optometrist appointment this morning and got some bad news. She has corneal degeneration and cataracts that is going to need surgery. So, I spent a lot of time just sitting there, drinking coffee, and listening.

When I did get to work I couldn't find the tool that I needed. I have tools at the RV, tools in the car and tools in the shop at the house. I can't keep track of where everything is but it certainly wasn't where I wanted it to be. Ah well!! I got a little bit done and there is almost tomorrow.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Roast Duck 101

There's a world of intense flavor to be discovered when you choose to roast a duck instead of taking the tried-and-true path with chicken. Yet many cooks find duck intimidating.

The reason, in a word, is fat. Ducks wear a thick coat of it, and fatty skin is not a pretty prospect. Not to worry. After using our guide to roasting a duck, you'll have a crisp, bronzed bird ready for carving. Some of the duck fat will baste the meat. The rest of this liquid gold can be spooned off to cook with in the future (think roasted vegetables or duck confit).

A word about the varieties of duck most commonly available: Muscovy very often has a strong flavor that tends toward gamy, while the Pekin, or Long Island, is milder. Whichever bird you choose, it will be a delectable departure from the usual dinner.

Tools and Materials1 whole duck (5 to 6 pounds)Coarse salt and freshly ground pepperRoasted Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips with Chili Powder (optional)Orange Marmalade Pan Sauce (optional)Kitchen shears or a sharp paring knifeRoasting panCarving knifeRoast Duck 101 How-To

1. Line bottom of oven with foil to catch any spatters. Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack in second-lowest position. Rinse duck in cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Use kitchen shears or a sharp paring knife to cut away fatty deposits and excess skin around neck area and just inside the bird's cavity.

2. Cut through last joint of wings to remove wing tips, and place them in roasting pan with neck (which is usually included with giblets by the butcher). Place wing tips and neck in a large roasting pan fitted with a rack.

3. Hold a narrow paring knife almost flat against duck's skin and make shallow pricks everywhere but drumsticks. Don't forget the areas where the thighs join the body. Score skin of breast in a crosshatch pattern. Season inside and outside of duck with pepper and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt.

4. Use a light touch with paring knife to gently crosshatch skin's top layer on breast side to facilitate release of fat. Be careful not to cut all the way through skin into flesh.

5. Place duck, breast side up, on rack in pan. Roast for 50 minutes.

6. Remove pan from oven. Set duck on rack in a sink or over a towel to catch drips. Spoon off excess fat from pan; strain, and reserve 1/4 cup if making roasted vegetables. Tilt duck to drain, pouring juices from cavity into roasting pan. To ensure even browning, turn duck twice during roasting. Use paper towels to lift bird from pan. Return duck, breast side down, on rack to pan. Roast for 50 minutes.

7. Flip duck, breast side up, and roast until duck registers 165 degree on an instantread thermometer, about 50 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Spoon off fat from roasting pan (reserve if desired). Carefully tilt duck, and pour accumulated juices from cavity into pan. Reserve neck and wing tips in pan with juices if making pan sauce.

8. After duck has rested, place it breast side down on a carving board, and cut along both sides of backbone.

9. Flip duck breast side up. Slice along ridge of breastbone to remove meat. When you get to the thigh bone, sever the joint. Remove wings if desired.

10. Separate leg quarters from breast. Slice breast into serving pieces. Sever joint between leg and thigh.

11. Serve duck with roasted vegetables, and drizzle with pan sauce.

80dfc482de93b6899864ae8fa2e4828d.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Roast Duck 101

I love roast DUCK

Also love roast GOOSE

Both have a flavor that is just different enough from chicken that they make for a wonderful meal and are no harder to cook than a chicken. Not exactly like cooking a chicken because both have a lot more fat and both are all dark meat instead of a mix of white meat/dark meat. But while different to cook, neither are actually harder to cook.

And your post reminds me, I have a half dozen goose breasts in the freezer from hunting season ... hmmm

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We actually had duck this past Thanksgiving.
I don't think I could ever eat it again.

Last night when we went down to get them settled, one had jumped out and was running around.
Right over by the sump drain.
That could have been a disaster.

Ty put a board over it.
This evening he's going to make a screen cover.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My intellectual thoughts on this matter from TR's vast repertoire of meaningless things. :yum:

Q: At what time does a duck wake up? A: At the quack of dawn.

Q: What do you call a cat that swallows a duck? A: A duck-filled-fatty-pus

Q: Did you hear about the duck with a drug problem? A: He was a quackhead.

Q: What do you call a duck that steals? A: A robber ducky.

Q: What did Detective Duck say to his partner? A: "Let's quack this case!"

Q: What did the duck say when he dropped the dishes? A: "I hope I didn't quack any!"

Q: What did the duck say when the waitress came? A: Put it on my bill!

Q: What do you get when a duck bends over? A: It's Buttquack

Q: Why are ducks bad drivers? A: Their windshields are qwacked.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Going to do some cleaning in the attic, take the junk to the transfer station, run errands and then throw a couple nice juicy Rib-Eyes on the Weber.

Physio is going well with the foot. My new AFO is working out great and really helped yesterday while brush hogging. No more limp but the SOB still hurts some. Gotta be patient and let the boss run the show. She has it under control and takes no prisoners. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's 12:34pm. I've been on the go since 6am already. First time I sat down today. Went to the gym this morning after kids left for school. Came home. Hooked up the flat deck trailer with side by side to bring it down for some minor custom exhaust work. Home now to rest for a bit and pack my bag for the big scout camp this weekend. I'm bringing the side by side to get around. It'll be fun. Supposed to be nice this weekend.

Oh....I finally have a surgery date for my second hernia. I hit the chopping block on june 20th.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
It's 12:34pm. I've been on the go since 6am already. First time I sat down today. Went to the gym this morning after kids left for school. Came home. Hooked up the flat deck trailer with side by side to bring it down for some minor custom exhaust work. Home now to rest for a bit and pack my bag for the big scout camp this weekend. I'm bringing the side by side to get around. It'll be fun. Supposed to be nice this weekend.

Oh....I finally have a surgery date for my second hernia. I hit the chopping block on june 20th.

I loved my time in the Scouts. Here's a pic of me with Troop #8 Barre, VT. Pic taken Fourth of July 1961. I'm the tall kid on the right and that's my best friend right in front of me. :yum::yum:

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 7.18.21 PM.png

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ty went to the farm store and brought home a 180 gallon horse trough.
And a new waterer.
That should keep them from jumping ship.
:yum:

20180608_204109-614x614.jpg

20180608_204355-614x614.jpg

20180608_205030-614x614.jpg

20180608_213150-474x530.jpg

rugerman

Did some pressure washing til my back told me it was time to stop, cooked ribeyes on the grill, now it’s time to put my feet up and chill.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Busy day.
Lots of this and that.
Rained, Ali went to a dance recital.
On the way home she's picking up KFC for late dinner.
I'm watching the kiddos.
Right now they're watching Trolls for like the 82nd time, while I try to get laundry caught up.
Ty has had four tows with the wrecker and one with the flatbed.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
initially, my thoughts say 'accomplish'-- & then i'll un-mute my television & get stuck watching e! channel-- screw dishes & chit-- don't judge-- get that popcorn & we'll binge-watch while typing as one--:eatdrink:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Busy Sunday morn so far.
Ty has today off (yeah right).
Just as brunch is ready, he gets dispatched to Grand Rapids (Ohio not Michigan).
Fog related crash.

Maddie went to the potty all by herself! Lol
God I made such a fuss over it.
Hopefully this is it! She's 3 and should be trained by now.

Ty trapped a coon and drowned it.
The damn thing somehow opened the porch door and got in the unbaited trap.:yum:
He's got a pic of it on his phone.

Meanwhile, brunch anyone?

20180610_095004-768x768.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Ty trapped a coon and drowned it.
The damn thing somehow opened the porch door and got in the unbaited trap.:yum:

I said they were smart. :thumbup::thumbup: Thankfully, not too smart.

I went out the kitchen door last night about 10:30 and the smell of skunk would gag a maggot. I grabbed a searchlight and the 20 gauge and went looking. I found it about 50 yards out in the yard. As soon as the light hit it, it started running towards me. I shot it at about 30 yards. Strange how I can hit a running skunk at 30 yards at night but I can plain ol' miss a 300 pound hog at 130 yards, standing still, in broad daylight, with a rifle. I need more practice!!!!

Anyhow, I wasn't going to mess with the skunk last night so I got up early this morning to get rid of it. I dumped it 'way down the back 40 and then headed out to feed the new fish in the lake. I haven't seen any floating on the surface so I suppose that they've made it through the last three days.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of the day but I promised myself that I wouldn't feel guilty if I just did nothing. Hey, even God rested on Sunday!!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ewwww!!!!!
After it got in the trap, it reached through the cage and ripped open a bag of trash intended for the burn barrel.
:ohmy:

I guess it was on it's back, a big one.
Pic is hard to see well.

received_1818968581526494.jpeg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My intellectual thoughts on this matter from TR's vast repertoire of meaningless things. :yum:

Q: At what time does a duck wake up? A: At the quack of dawn.

Q: What do you call a cat that swallows a duck? A: A duck-filled-fatty-pus

Q: Did you hear about the duck with a drug problem? A: He was a quackhead.

Q: What do you call a duck that steals? A: A robber ducky.

Q: What did Detective Duck say to his partner? A: "Let's quack this case!"

Q: What did the duck say when he dropped the dishes? A: "I hope I didn't quack any!"

Q: What did the duck say when the waitress came? A: Put it on my bill!

Q: What do you get when a duck bends over? A: It's Buttquack

Q: Why are ducks bad drivers? A: Their windshields are qwacked.

Have you heard about the duck who bragged he could fly upside down?

He Quacked Up!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What is it with these sons of mine and raccoons lately?
One traps and kills them the other says, awww look what we found!

IMG9540201.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, It looks like Kiwi is keeping an eye on all the others!

:smile:
He does somewhat.
He's beginning to take on a gray colour more than brown now.
The largest yellow boy is the leader of the pack.
He's turning white more and more every day.
I call him Pekin boy. Lol
They all grow more every time I look at them.
We're going to get a cedar coop for outside.
The farm store has them for around 300 bucks.
Caged windows, nesting areas..like a duck hotel. :yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Had fun!
Took the grandies to an indoor playground.
God was it loud after the kids really started pouring in.
20180612_134239-614x614.jpg

20180612_135655-614x614.jpg

20180612_134751-614x614.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Today I am both anticipating and dreading Ali having her knee surgery tomorrow morning.

I love a challenge, but think this is going to come with a few.

Otherwise, a good day is planned.
Everything is caught up as far as housework, plans for the coming weeks ahead, etc...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Understand the anticipation and dreading at the same time. I'm doing the same thing. Surgery next Thursday morning. After what happened to me the last time I have a right to be nervous about it.

Today was the gym program again at 9am. I'll be done that next weds until September. After the gym I stopped by the ford dealership to try out a 2013 f250 crew cab with only 17k km on it so like new. Nice truck and good price but sadly, my back wouldn't handle it. I could feel every crack and bump in the road right in my back. I'm going to guess a brand new f150 will end up in the driveway before too much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.