• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Axles, bearings and such

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll relay my recent experiences and hope a good discussion happens with the folks on here. I had to get both front axle/spindles made for my 1450. The spindles are 5150 steel that's non-hardened, welded into some 4" square tube.The spindles are made a couple of tenths of a thousandth over for the 2 press fit bearings, since the bearing can't spin on the new 5150 spindle. They go on fine when you tighten the spindle nut. I'm wondering what type of steel was used in the Thiokol/DMV cat frames. Also, was it common for them to have forged spindles with slip fit bearings, or were they non-hardened. I had to do some quick homework to find out why my new bearings were going on so snug. I wonder if anyone has some experiences or knowledge to share.
Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• 20170908_122505_resized.jpg
    20170908_122505_resized.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 232

Snowy Rivers

Most spindles of this type are just TOUGH rather than hardened.

Bearings on these types of set ups are a very close SLIP FIT rather than a press fit (usually) Thiokol did NOT use exotic anything in their machines,

The frames were pretty much off the shelf tubing, angle and formed sheet steel.

The new assembly you show in the piccy should be just fine, and likely better than the factory made ones.

The one concern I have is the 5150 steel...Although a very good steel, welding it can be tricky to avoid cracking at the welds during the duty cycle (usage)

The gussets can create stress risers, especially at the sharp ends.

Did you preheat the spindle prior to welding ??? and then post heat gradually allowing the part to cool off ???

I am willing to bet that the original spindles were made from 1018 cold rolled bar and machined to the needed specs.

As I mentioned, these guys did not spend big $$$$ on stuff.

The relative light weight on these spindles also takes away the need for anything special.

Cold roll steel bar, although not great still offers some pretty good strength in this application.

Last edited:

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
You're right. I called the shop and they used 1018. Don't know how I got stuck on 5150...

Snowy Rivers

Sweet.

I was in the machinery building bizz for many years and we did a fair amount of our own heat treating and such in house.

The 5150 or any good heat treatable steel would be fine if the axle was pressed into the structural member and retained by a nut on the back side.

Welding on heat treatable steel can be done, but the process can be tricky and cracking later on is a real possibility.

You should be in great shape now with the new assembly/s

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your build.

:clap::clap: