• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

torsion axles

stevefromcac

it has been a while, but I am back. Steve the crazy Alaskan here, doing obscene things to my st4. This phase started with a 'big wheel' conversion on my 1962 two band. We (the Alaska Track Association) got looking at it and said'why not big wheel the whole thing' ? No more small bogies, shocks, or leaf springs. I have already taken the plasma cutter to the starboard side. We are past the point of no return. Just thought I would see if anyone wanted to chime in. I still have thick skin, and can take criticism.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
All I want to ask is why?

Stock they perform well enough, IMHO. Up in your part of the world, there are parts...

If you need a home for your bogggie tires/wheels and other assorted "bits" I could be your man...

I think with the passage of time, the stock ones (or nearly so) are were it's at. When you modify a 50 year old machine, it is unlikely it will ever be returned back to were it was. Resale suffers greatly in most cases.

JMHO...

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I seen one on here that looked like straight axles under it. not sure if it ever sold.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
here are some thoughts 1 I would use some kind of walking beam on the center tires it will improve the ride over a bunch of torsion axles . 2 you need to think about lifting the adjustment wheel slightly several inches off the ground this will help steering.3 use good molded torsion axles not cheapies that are pressed together with rubber strips from harbor freight.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I seen one on here that looked like straight axles under it. not sure if it ever sold.

attachment%2014.jpg

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
it Just thought I would see if anyone wanted to chime in. I still have thick skin, and can take criticism.

I am interested to see how this works out. Change is good.

giver the berries and post some photos to feed the inquiring minds.

stevefromcac

Thanks for all of the input. Kind of late to turn back now. I will look at the walking beam idea. One of my concerns is how much travel to ask from a torsion axle. I don't know if shorter or longer pivots are better. Figuring it out is part of the fun. Don't worry, none of the old parts went in the dumpster, just in case I am wrong. Ever since I was old enough, I couldn't help messing with things.

'thought of doing that to the sno trac I once had - every time I drove out of the tracks I thought harder about it - lol - those small bogies and ice cleats on the tracks didn't mix well with packed snow on a twisty trail

stevefromcac

We have the front two, the same ones that would be a big wheel conversion on. Went forward swing with those ones. We are still pondering the middle two. I have a walking beam off of the 'Pac Rat' trailers We build to test fit. I am thinking a walking beam attached to a torsion axle would be way cool. Might have to shed some more old steel for that.....

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the pack rat beam as it has a has some resistance in it to limit oscillations.

stevefromcac

We have some time to think about it, as We are at the Mat-Su Outdoors show with one of Our 'runners' this weekend. The general direction We are heading is: no center torsion axle, pac rat walking beam(modified) and a modification to use the same tonsion travel that the pac rat uses. I will ponder the design while I am soda blasting everything under there.