• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac variator noise

John Lumley

As I currently have the tracks off my snowtrac I ran it throught the gears and there is a noise coming from the variators, its like a rough bearing noise you can't hear it from the front but when in the cab or next to the variators its quite noticable. I always thaught it was the tracks making the noise so never looked into it. In 1st there is no noise, 2nd a little bit, 3rd more and 4th a bit louder. It go's off when you turn the steering from lock to lock or makes a quieter noise. So I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or if the noise is normal? Thanks.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The variator speed increases with ground speed AND with rpm's. In 4th gear the sheeves are actually turning engine speed!

Better take the sheeves off and check the torrington thrust bearings under them. They take the clamping load of the belt pushing against them, as well as reducing friction of the turning shafts. The passenger side is the one that can bother as the grease tube from the zerk on that side can get torn off, and unless you know it, your grease doesn't get to that one....It's the easier to take apart as well. Three bolts on the top hat that holds the sheeve on. Reach up under it, and fallow the grease tube with your hand, and feel if it is still conected to the bearing holder....The holder sort of floats and eventally, it may have torn the tube in half..

Check it out now, not on a trail in the boonies. Now IS the time...

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that would be my guess or one of the berings in the top of the post's if its any thing else you are likely going to be pulling the transmission

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If your running it without the tracks you should be able to tell what side it is by turning the wheel all the way. One side will spin faster.

John Lumley

its not really a massive noise to be honest was just wondering if they should make a bit of noise or if they are meant to run silent?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
John,

They do make noise, but it isn't a raspy or grinding noise, more of a wurrring noise...

While you have the tracks of is the time to look around a bit. Have you made sure the grease lines are attached from the zerks to the bearings at each side of the variator under the hood? The passenger side on mine is torn off the line to the Torrington bearing under the
passenger side bottom variator sheeve. That bearing holder floats, and the line is all that keeps it from turning all the way around, and the line can get pulled apart. I have to put the line back on a nipple, once it is turned to a place where the line can reach the bearing holder. So I have to maually slip the line back on before I can grease it. I have often wondered how many others out there have done this to themselves...

At speed in 4th gear they are not silent, at engine speed, but they don't make any noises that would suggests they are damaged either. I know I feel better after tearing mine down for inspection,, and I hadn't noticed any noise either. I did change my belt at this time however...making an examination much easier as well...

Remeber if you are having an issue under these variator parts, and it wrecks some things, maybe a sheeve, those parts aren't readily available. So to catch a bearing issue early is a very good thing...

I'd check it out while it's in the shop already...for peace of mind if nothing else...

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
look at the berings under the curb side shive i had one missing the hardened wear plate and didn't take long to chew up the shve thank goodness i had a spare for parts also look for chunks missing out of the belt like a snow machine it can make noise