• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi with bad engine

Nickpkts

I just acquired a Bombi with a siezed engine, otherwise every thing else is in excellent shape. I am looking for some advice, it currently has a four speed trans. Has anyone had any luck converting to an auto trans? or a bigger engine?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I just acquired a Bombi with a siezed engine, otherwise every thing else is in excellent shape. I am looking for some advice, it currently has a four speed trans. Has anyone had any luck converting to an auto trans? or a bigger engine?
the ford 2.3 l engine i under stand works well in the bombies pick up an engine tranny combo from a pinto or mustang 2 car or get a more moderen version from a early 90s baby ranger or mazda pickup with efi if you want to be creative than there is the 22r and re toyota engines the denotes efi and in the mid 80s gm up dated the iron duke 4 cylender with tbi 400
any of the fuel injected models will have much better preformance than there carb counterparts.

Trailgroomer

Can you tell me what engine you have in that Bombi now I am looking for some parts and you may be able to help. Thanks

brent

One thing to keep in mind, I do believe the original Bombi engine was a industrial engine and not the standard car/ Pinto engine.

I doubt the V4 would fit in the Bombi, pretty tight quarters. The 2.3 industrial with the auto is what they put in the BR100+ which was the newer version of the Bombi. Industrial versions are available in airline support equipment etc., although just about any 4 cyl would work.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you tell me what engine you have in that Bombi now I am looking for some parts and you may be able to help. Thanks

That engine was use in several machines. One part source is an older Bobcat skid loader.
Jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Some Bombi has Diesel engine. I'm curious to know which one they are used ?
i can't remember which model it was but they were perkins 4cylinders in the side walk machines i used to work on they were also a hydro static drive. if you wanted a small diesel look at an isuzu product from a chevy badged npr truck those isuzu diesels are like the energizer bunnys they keep going and going, and the chevy products used a a mounting ring flex plate that would accept GM transmission's

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
another good engine swap that might not cost too much would be to get a kubota diesel out of a bobcat the kubota engines are reliable simple to work on and rev to a nice high rpm te only down fall would be hooking it up to a transmission but kenedy engineering would be able to make you up a custom adaptor kit to bolt to a transmission of your choice

good luck

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Some Bombi has Diesel engine. I'm curious to know which one they are used ?

they used the perkins four cylinders in many Bombardier's
to name a few SW48 sidewalk plow 4.236 perkins non and turbo Muskegs older non turbo 4.236 newer had turbo,BR60 had the 4.236 Perkins BR60 plus had turbo BR110 had the 4.236 turbo SV252 had both 4.236 turbo and non turbo the DT stood for Diesel turbo SV300 (301) some had 4.236 non turbo The old GT1000 had 4.236 non turbo non tubo was rated at 78HP and the turbo was 110-115 HP there was more but you get some ideas

Sylvain

Site Supporter
benz9 and I went to see a Bombi, I think I will stay with my first idea, find a Br100.

I think BR100 is stronger than the Bombi ?

brianf

the br100 and bombi are pretty well the same machine,br100 is a little bit wider so you had more wide track options, and if you get the br100+ it has a 2.3l and auto trans, but almost every other part is the same on both machines,

Sylvain

Site Supporter
Thanks brianf - Someone told me the BR100 and + not sure how you call that, I think is " the frame " are thicker. I saw the difference on two different " tub " ( I mean the metal frame under )

brianf

frame is wider and longer on the br100 than bombi, front axles are a little longer so you can run wider inner belts on tracks, , a little stronger mount at back for hitch,but frame tub is built the same way and seem to crack at almost same spots, but personally I like the br100+ with auto,cab style has better vison, and machine has a little better storage,also 2.3l parts are still easy to come by, the 1.6l parts are getting a little harder to find,

Dick

I put a mercedes 240D motor and auto trans in mine it uses 3/4 to 1 gal of fuel an hour dragging snomobile trails only complaint is it will go way to fast if tou want it to

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This topic comes up often .do you think some type of rev limiter would be a good investment for the stock engine?