• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cnet and Plasma TV's?

P

Pigtails

CNET Membership <newsletters@cnet.online.com> wrote:
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 10:19:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: pigtails82801@yahoo.com
Subject: Are plasma TVs on the way out?

Trouble viewing this mail? Click here to read it online. | Unsubscribe from this e-mail |Manage your Newsletters

May 1, 2008
Dear CNET members,
A recent Crave blog post by CNET News.com staff member Erica Ogg reported that Pioneer is ending its in-house production of plasma panels and will be working with Panasonic to produce panels for their plasma TVs. Wow, that's big news to me! I have always seen rave reviews by experts about Pioneer and how their plasma TVs have always been regarded to be some of the best. Why would Pioneer discontinue manufacturing plasma panels when they are so highly regarded? Well, according to the Crave blog, Pioneer's plasma business continues to lose money and it would be more cost effective to go with a third party manufacturer. That makes sense from a business perspective, but are we getting the whole picture? I mean, to have a big player such as Pioneer outsource their plasma panels to someone else makes me wonder where the future of plasma TVs lies. Is this recent news just the beginning of the end of plasma TV technology (we've all seen what happened when Warner Bros. pulled out of releasing HD DVDs)? Will LCD TVs eventually rule, putting plasma TV to grave? It took a while for LCD TVs to catch up with plasma TVs in terms of size and competitive cost, but look at them now. LCD TVs are getting slimmer with larger displays, yet weigh less, and consume much less energy compared with plasmas. As far as costs go, they have gone way down in price and now it sure seems as if LCD TVs outnumber the amount of plasma TVs in retailers.

Personally if you asked me if plasma TVs are going to be dead soon, I will tell you, I hope not! If they did die, I would be very sad to see them go. Why? Because I love my plasma HDTV. While I do own a LCD HDTV of almost equal size to my plasma, in my opinion the plasma TV picture is far superior to that of the LCD (remember folks this is my personal opinion). While it's not comparing apples with apples, my eyes do tell me what's true. My plasma TV is brighter, the blacks are blacker, and colors are not washed out like my LCD TV. Until LCDs can produce a picture like my plasma, I will say that plasma will be sticking around for a while. Enough of what I think, what do you think? Do you think plasma TVs will be dead soon? Why? I know there are a lot of die-hard plasma TV and LCD TV fans out there and I would love to get your perspective on this. So join us in the latest Screening Room discussion and let us know what you think the fate of plasma TVs will be.

Cheers!
Lee Koo
Manager, CNET community

Got suggestions? Send us an e-mail:
messageboards@cnet.com

This week's hot topic:
Are plasma TVs on
the way out?
With the recent reports that Pioneer will stop making plasma panels, we've started to wonder if plasma technology itself is on its way out. Will plasma still be a factor in 2009, or will LCD take control of the HDTV market? When we asked our members if they thought plasma TV are on their way out, many told us what they thought.

"I hope not..."
"Plasma's are harder to find in stores--but they have such a better picture than LCD's I hope they stick around for a while. Pioneer not making their own glass is a bad sign but the new Panasonic Plasmas are priced low and have great pictures..." (Read more)

--Submitted by: CNET member BrodieB

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Plasma is the ultimate TV that combines the quality of CRT with the profile of LCD. Unfortunately, it's gotten a lot of bad rep in the past from an immature technology and misconceptions. I know a lot of people got turned off by burn-in which is rarely an issue nowadays and having to refill the plasma which is just a straight up lie..." (Read more)

--Submitted by: CNET member thesmilkman

"Plasma not leaving"

"wow...I couldn't believe what I was reading...I do graphic art and CRTs are still king...there is only one LCD that I know of that's better, but very expensive (its a 4 color system)...plasma technically is by far the best for TV...better luminance tracking, much better viewing angle, better gamut and greater usable..." (Read more)

--Submitted by: CNET member hlee

Speak up!
Now it's your chance to tell us if you think plasma TVs is a dying breed that will eventually be on its way out! Speak up; we are all watching closely!
What do you think?

CNET HDTV resources:

• CNET HDTV reviews
• Everything HDTV: CNET's HDTV World
• CNET editors' TV buying guide
• TV blogs
• Home audio & video forum

What CNET members think!
Here are some interesting comments members recently submitted on CNET. Read up on it and chime in with your opinion. Enjoy!

• Is Windows XP good enough?
--Blog submitted by: Michael Horowitz (CNET Blog network)

CNET member georgefl38's response:
"If customers are standing put on the previous version, that means they're not sold on the company's technological vision, and they're no longer lining up as Microsoft tries to lead them to the future." Two comments on this. One, I totally believe that customers are (finally) getting around to not being sold on MS's technological vision, what ever that may be. Two..." (Read more)

What are your thoughts?
• Correcting the violent video game rhetoric
--Blog submitted by: Don Reisinger (CNET Blog network)

CNET member mosion's response:
"solid blog. I'm tired of people expecting the gaming or movie industry to raise their child. These are the same parents who blame public schools for giving their kids bad manners. News flash, your kid is rude because you are rude. He uses foul language because he heard you use foul language around him. He isn't smart because you never read to him and he never sees you... " (Read more)

What are your thoughts?

Weigh in on this week's poll:
If you had only one HDTV choice, which technology would you pick?
(Please click on button to vote)

Plasma
LCD

Vote and discuss it here!
Last week's poll results
What do you miss most about the pre-MP3-download era?

View last week's results

CNET blogs
News, reviews, and opinions from CNET's editors and selected experts... Check them out and post your thoughts on them.

• The future of the iPod
Check it out | Comment on it

• Sharp ready to roll out wireless HDTVs

• FBI's Net surveillance proposal raises privacy, legal concerns

• Critics slam 'GTA IV' without test drive

• Blu-ray player sales down despite format victory

• Lenovo takes a page from the Steve Jobs playbook

Hot products
Along with discussing the future of plasma TVs, CNET members had plenty of new tech products to talk about this week.

Kodak EasyShare V1253 (Black)
CNET member Piz7777 says:
"This camera has more then exceeded my expectations! The pictures are beautiful, the HD video is the best I've ever seen on a cam, and along with the HD dock (bought for only $64 bucks at Circuit City!), this cam is a dream come true! Just make sure you download the free firmware update on Kodak's site to the camera..." (read more)
See all user opinions | Compare prices

Panasonic TH-58PZ750U
CNET member rubenc78 says:
"Panasonic has done a very nice job of maintaining a quality product in its flagship plasma line, and the TH-58PZ750U does not disappoint. I'm sure a Blue-ray or HD DVD player would knock my socks off with the picture quality, but I'm waiting a little while longer before I decide on one. In the meantime, I have a Panasonic..." (read more)
Read all user opinions | Compare prices

Magellan Maestro 4250
CNET member tburns1119 says:
"I reviewed all the top products that Garmin, TomTom, and a few other companies put out and this one caught my eye. First off, the wide screen is great and very clear. The menu is very easy to navigate through and it only takes a few minutes to set up even without reading the manual..." (read more)
Read all user opinions | Compare prices

Ask the editor Live!
Every Thursday!
Got a burning tech question? Each Thursday from 11 a.m. to noon Pacific Time, we'll give you the chance to chat live with a CNET editor. We'll cover a new topic each week, from cell phones to TVs. Get those burning tech questions ready! Check out the event calendar!

The e-mail address for your CNET Community newsletter is janh82834@yahoo.com. Click here to manage your newsletters, including this one.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please unsubscribe.

Privacy statement
CNET Networks takes your privacy seriously. Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we want you to clearly understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of this information. We encourage you to review our privacy policy.

Copyright 2008 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
CNET Networks, Inc.
235 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
U.S.A.

P

Pigtails

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS PLASMA GOING OUT, ESPECIALLY PIONEER?

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS PLASMA GOING OUT, ESPECIALLY PIONEER?

I don't know about them goin out, but I can tell you I am goin LCD for the reasons mentioned plus one HUGE one that was left out.

1) Weight. I don't want to deal with the heavier TV.
2) Energy consumption. I am a tight ass (and not buying the TV myself for that matter)
3) The big one. I have a DVR and a 5 y/o who is destined to wear out the pause button. Can we say burn in? LCD for me please.:thumb: