• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Quick trip to the cabin

mtmogs

Took a trip up to the cabin on Sunday in the snow trac to clear a few tons of snow off the roof and then had some fun skiing. Here's some stats: On the way in did the 7 mi trip of around 600' elevation gain in 35 minutes for an average speed of 12 mi./hour. Did the downhill trip back in 22 minutes for an average speed of 19 mi./hr. Didn't seem like I was going that fast, except for the bouncing along on some stretches on the way back. The scary thing is that I probably could have gone just as fast uphill if it wasn't for watching the heat of cylinder head #3. I was restricted to using 3rd gear most of the time. The cylinder head temp gauge is a must have for these VW engines in my opinion but, a word of warning, your eyes will be glued to it most of the time. I'll remove the oil cooler from the fan shroud before next season and I expect a big improvement in cooling. 19 mph up hill would be convenient.

Sorry for the poor pictures, the first two are panoramas made from video motion stills, the last reminds me I still need to fix the wipers! I started calling them "wifepers," use that one at your own risk.:

Attachments

• atcabin1.jpg
    atcabin1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 265
  • wiper.jpg
    wiper.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 263
  • cabin_pano.jpg
    cabin_pano.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 269

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
It is amazing how much snow will sit on a metal roof at that angle... You would think if would slide off before that. My cabin has a pretty steep pitched roof I put on, so it would slide off, but it doesn't...

I did find that if you "Walk" under the eves, it has an automatic release system that allows the snow to come off at once when you are standing within range....

Attachments

• DSCN2481.jpg
    DSCN2481.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 264

NATO123

Banned
Took a trip up to the cabin on Sunday in the snow trac to clear a few tons of snow off the roof and then had some fun skiing. Here's some stats: On the way in did the 7 mi trip of around 600' elevation gain in 35 minutes for an average speed of 12 mi./hour. Did the downhill trip back in 22 minutes for an average speed of 19 mi./hr. Didn't seem like I was going that fast, except for the bouncing along on some stretches on the way back. The scary thing is that I probably could have gone just as fast uphill if it wasn't for watching the heat of cylinder head #3. I was restricted to using 3rd gear most of the time. The cylinder head temp gauge is a must have for these VW engines in my opinion but, a word of warning, your eyes will be glued to it most of the time. I'll remove the oil cooler from the fan shroud before next season and I expect a big improvement in cooling. 19 mph up hill would be convenient.

Sorry for the poor pictures, the first two are panoramas made from video motion stills, the last reminds me I still need to fix the wipers! I started calling them "wifepers," use that one at your own risk.:
Can you give more puctures?

mtmogs

My thoughts exactly. We have an almost flat roof above the bedroom upstairs and that's the one we are usually concerned about,not this one that is a 12:12 pitch. The picture shows the south facing roof, but the north side is completely clear. What seems to happen is that at some point there was a bit of melting, and water percolated down and ice crystals formed on the metal down toward the eaves. That didn't happen on the shaded north side. I checked on a friends cabin nearby, and his south-facing 12:12 roof slid. The only difference is that he has light colored roofing as opposed to my dark brown. I think the light color kept his roof cool enough so there was no melting and freezing at the eaves. I don't imagine winter time melting is a huge issue for you! There, do you think I analyzed the situation to death yet?

That's pretty funny about the "auto release!" Been there, but the stuff that's up there now isn't going anywhere until spring or until the cabin is warm inside. Busted the friggin' roof rake on it.

It is amazing how much snow will sit on a metal roof at that angle... You would think if would slide off before that. My cabin has a pretty steep pitched roof I put on, so it would slide off, but it doesn't...

I did find that if you "Walk" under the eves, it has an automatic release system that allows the snow to come off at once when you are standing within range....

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I don't imagine winter time melting is a huge issue for you!

Well we went from almost a month of -50 and colder to almost three days of almost 40 above zero... then back down to the current -10 or so and slated to get colder. My roof sits pretty much against the winter sun's rays so I don't think the color has much to do with mine. I did put the solar panel to where it gets the most sunlight for the shorter days. The sun pops up over Mt. McKinley for a few hours on the shortest days in winter and I wanted to get the most of it.

But twice I have walked around the cabin and had the snow slide off... I really can't believe how much of that stuff you can get down the collar of a coat either...

There, do you think I analyzed the situation to death yet?

Nope, just need more photos to verify the sun theroy...:yum:

mtmogs

I really can't believe how much of that stuff you can get down the collar of a coat either...

I *hate* it when that happens, especially when it works its way down into your shorts somehow. After breaking the roof rake and a shovel yesterday, my wife said "You're becoming more like an Eskimo every day. Why just today I think I've heard you use 50 different curse words to describe snow."

GSSD06

I started out to make a quick trip to the radio site, but a few small snow drifts made it take a little longer.

The good news was that we did not have to open the gate (01), but after a few miles through the trees the affects of the high winds and heavy snow fall here in Western Washington (02) became apparent in the open clear cuts.

At first it was fun enough, especially watching the passengers get more and more nervous (03), then a good place to hug the bank, reach out the window and grab a tree limb for extra support (04) and it got less fun.

So, before we cut any more trees out of the way, let's walk ahead and see what's in store around the corner (05).

Attachments

• 06 Check Ahead.JPG
    06 Check Ahead.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 05 Check Ahead.JPG
    05 Check Ahead.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 04 Hug The Bank.JPG
    04 Hug The Bank.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 03 Drifts.JPG
    03 Drifts.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 230
  • 02 Drifts.JPG
    02 Drifts.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 01 What Gate.JPG
    01 What Gate.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 230

GSSD06

As you can imagine, not much reason to try and climb this drift (06) when it gets even steeper (07) (08). Especially since it is going to get a lot warmer and the snow will be pretty slushy in a couple of hours.

No problem (09) the radio site is only a 1.6 mile snow shoe away and it is a nice day for a walk (10).

Maybe that blade, bigger tracks, and a few more horsepower would come in handy some days.

Attachments

• 07 Check Ahead.JPG
    07 Check Ahead.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 08 Check Ahead.JPG
    08 Check Ahead.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 217

GSSD06

Here are the pictures of the radio site (09) and the surrounding terrain (10).

Attachments

• 09 There It Is.JPG
    09 There It Is.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 10 Nice Day for a Walk.JPG
    10 Nice Day for a Walk.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 225

GSSD06

Sometimes fun is like beating your head against the wall, it feels good to stop.

Here are some pictures of a trip in January when the weather was less than hospitable.

You can see how much ice was still on the towers, it was much worse the week before we got there.

A tower fell over and we went up to put in a temporary antenna.

It was the first time I had snow packing between the frame, tunnel, and underside of the top of the tracks.

I may make one or two special backing plates for each inside belt out of a piece of angle that will clear the snow away as you drive.

I see the Tucker 2000XL has one of these on each Terra track belt.

Attachments

• Ice on Towers.JPG
    Ice on Towers.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 182
  • Collapsed Tower.JPG
    Collapsed Tower.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Temporary Antenna.JPG
    Temporary Antenna.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Cleaning Tracks.JPG
    Cleaning Tracks.JPG