• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ebay Scams getting better!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi everyone, do NOT fall for this scam.

I've seen it a couple times, but this one is probably the best example that I've seen so far. It comes via regular email.

IMAGE #1 -- Arrives by Email:
It looks like a "seller" has sent you something and is asking for feedback. But if you click on the Respond Now button, it takes you to a fake ebay sign on screen. The fake sign on screen looks very real. You enter your data to sign into your ebay account . . . and you have just given the scammer all the information he needs to steal your ebay account!

IMAGE #2 -- Screen you get directed to in your web browser if you select the Respond Now button:
If you use Firefox, it will alert you that the sign on screen is a forgery. But if not, then take a look at the second image below. Look at the URL. That is not an Ebay URL!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    90 KB · Views: 224
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 226

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Are they targeting you on auctions that you have won, or are they just sending out blanket emails hoping that you will respond? I haven't gotten any recently, so I wonder if that is because I haven't been active on eBay recently.......

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No its just a random email. I did not buy anything from this particular sell. I think they are just out spamming. Probably figuring people will respond because they didn't win???

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gosh, I must appear to be a huge sucker because I get so many of these attempts to steal from me that I think it's causing a complex. I told my wife last night that on any given day, I have no less than 10 attempts from people to steal from me. It's really beginning to piss me off. There must not be any "down side" for these criminals so they keep getting bolder and better. So far the only place that has stolen from me (and I eventually got it back - but they are still fighting) is the credit card company Capital One. They are like these asshole little email scammers, but worse; they do it on a corporate level. I caught them 6 times last year trying to add a "finance" charge to my bill; even though I've never in my life carried a balance on any credit card. I caught them twice last year trying to charge me a $25 annual fee; even though my card has no annual fee. Basically, I see that it is their policy to cheat and steal because they have no "down side". I'd bet that most of the time they get by with the theft and, when caught, they simply chalk it up to a mistake.

I have to admit that MS "Live OneCare" program works pretty well with phishing, viruses, and catching spam email as well as spyware. The problem is that I still have to go through all the damn "junk" email to make sure that no real email got dumped. So, for me, it's still annoying. As I said, I get about 10 attempts to steal from me each day on average.

What are they going to do when some frickin' little computer geek steals somebody's life savings and that person hunts down the computer geek and tortures him for a week before finally killing him? A prosecuting attorney may find a jury to be rather understanding to the guy who had his life's savings stolen by some cyber criminal. I wouldn't kill one, but if I had somebody succeed in stealing from me, I just may pay them a visit and make sure that everytime they went to stand up, for the rest of their life, they'd remember what happened when they stole from me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is another version of the Ebay Scam to steal your identity. Rather than deleting this one I figured I would post it as a warning to others who might not be familiar with what some of them look like. This one is NOT one of the better ones I have seen.

On this one, look very closely at the "from" and "reply to" email addresses . . . elay, not ebay.

Also notice that it was not sent to me, but was sent to "undisclosed-recipients"

Also if you read the text, it says that the guy "vmason" sent me the merchandise, but it identifies the "vmason" as a potential buyer.

Also, notice the date, it was sent on May 9, but inside the graphic it says the auction ended on May 9 at 18:56 BST (what the heck is BST?) but Ebay runs on Pacific time, and 18:56 would be a few minutes before 7pm TONIGHT, and also states that the message was sent while the listing was active. How could he send me my merchandise after the auction, yet still respond while the listing was active, and simultaneously also be a potential buyer????

This is also from the SAME person who tried this scam before.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 186