• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker on gravel

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Just wondering....

How do 80's model Tuckers with belted tracks handle driving on terrain other than snow? I know you don't want to steer them if you are not moving, but I am talking about driving them on dirt, gravel, grass, etc. Let's say I am heading up the mountain and there are long stretches of the road where the snow has melted and it's mud and/or gravel. Is that a problem? What if you were going to drive it for quite a ways like that? Thanks for the insight!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rubber belts and metal parts have been advertised for sale for use in all surfaces. there are snow trac adds with the machine on sand.
My experience:
I found the smoothest ride for my model 2000 tucker was on loose gravel.

I have run my thiokols and snow tracs in clay and sandy loom soils and they surprise me how they dont pick up mud for quite a while but once they start picking up soil it gets ugly fast.

I never got the tucker in mud, but I imagine that would have been a dirty deal at any speed over a crawl...

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker grousers dont have much clearance between the pads a piece of gravel gets between them something has to give sometimes the steel will break or the rock may break . I would not run one in gravel any further than necessary . Just my expierience.

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never had a problem running on pavement,I found the faster I went,the smoother the ride. As far as gravel or rocky terrain,I went pretty slow,just adjusted for the rocks. I haven't sustained any growser damage yet. Bare patches are pretty common one place I frequently go.

aksnocat

If you've got an earlier belt/steel grouser Tucker - the ones with the nylon running strips across the top of the track carrier - as opposed to the later top-side idler wheel style, you'll quickly do damage to the rubbing strips if you run in sand or gravel, in the same way you trash the hyfax on a snowmobile when you run it in sand or gravel. If you've got the newer style top idlers I don't think you'll have much of an issue.

Just my $.02...

jp11

Ground looks like a rototiller has been over it. I moved it outside so I could have the floor room for the scissor lift. Radiant heater going in.

Attachments

• IMGA0359 copy.jpg
    IMGA0359 copy.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 266
I've gone through mud, water, swamp, gravel, and of course, snow and ice with my 1344 - as a swamp buggy, I doubt many machines would compare - people with expensive ATVs, just THINK they have an all terrain vehicle - lol - ice, gravel, and hard pack creates such a rough ride, even at a crawl, I can't imagine it's easy on the tracks or fittings - unless it's mud, snow, or loose sand, I'd keep it at a crawl, and stay away from it as much as possible