• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

3 pt hitch snowblower

rico304

Everytime I post about a tractor I'm trying to buy the deal falls through.:toilet: Well, here I go again. I'm onto a 32 HP JD 4300. I was looking at the Pronovost(Puma) 3 pt. hitch snowblower. I've read many good things about them. JD carries the Blizzard, but it goes for a few hundred more. Sounds like the Puma is just as good. Any thoughts? (PLEASE DON'T JINX ME!) HAHA:cool:
What size should I be looking at? I can't find stats on tractor. I'll get manual from owner when I check back in with her this week. I'm looking at 54". There are a couple 60" as well. I'm assuming both will cover my tracks, but the 60 might be much faster if 32hp will run it.
THanks!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a 60" Buhler Farm King with a 24hp tractor with no problem at all. You should be able to run a 72" blower with a 32hp tractor without any problems.

MadReferee

Based on personal observation and some hands on experience, the Pronovost Puma is a much sturdier built blower than the Blizzard. My local dealer carried the Puma when I bought mine and now carries the Blizzard and charges a few hunderd less for the Blizzard but makes more overall margin. The same size Blizzard is lighter in weight and not as well built. Compare the specs and look at them side by side and you can tell the differences.

rico304

Thanks for the quick replies! The dealer I called had a few Pumas on hand and I can pick up next week when I get tractor. I'll call and put one on hold.
If it(tractor) will take a 72" with no problem, would performance be better with a 60", or would it be the same performance with just a bigger blower? I want to make sure it will throw the heavy wet stuff as well.

ps... Bob, I just got off phone and they said it was a done deal. Have I heard that before?????????

THANKS AGAIN!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rico you provided me with photos of the last "done deal" and it seems to me that tractor is now parked in someone else's garage!!!

As for the blower size, I can do nothing more than relate my experiences. But my 19pto HP out of my 24hp tractor powers right through drifts without bogging down. We rarely get more than 8" of snow at a time, but we get drifts that exceed 24" and I've not had any problems. I don't notice the blower throwing snow farther when we have less snow or more snow, but it does seem to throw the snow farther if the snow is slightly on the wet side. Seems like the light snow just blows everywhere but a modestly wet snow will throw 20' to 30' out of my blower.

Blowing snow is about the hardest work you can put an engine through. I have a 4310 which is essentially the same machine. Front mounted 59" blower does just fine but I do have to watch my speed and adjust my speed for the snow conditions. I can easily bog the engine down by going a little too fast.

Hydro transmission is nice for doing this. Hopefully that's what the 4300 has.

I have to constantly monitor engine speed to keep the rpms up and run at full throttle when blowing. I burn 2-3 gallons of diesel fuel when blowing snow. Just for a comparison, when I do steady loader work in the summer, I'm burning about 1 gallon per hour.

MadReferee

I run a 64" Puma on a Kubota B2710 with no problems whatsoever. It goes thru 18" of heavy wet snow with no problems and will throw the snow 25' to 50' depending on conditions (snow + chute angle + engine speed). The Puma has tight clearances between the fan and shroud which is good for blowing. However, it tends to throw everything but stuff (sticks, rocks, hard ice chunks) will get stuck between the auger and fan and pop the shear pin, usually on the pto shaft. It's a brute and well worth the few bucks extra.