• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

abandoned snowcats

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was browsing around the net this morning while watching the olympics. I landed on a site that listed a couple of the old ski hills here that have been closed down for years. Turns out the old snowcats are still there sitting in ruins. I will have to go exploring sometime.

These first two are located at candy mountain.(a hill where I skied as a kid a few times)
Snow_groomer.jpg

newer_snow_groomer.jpg

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
What a waste !!!

Also please in the future please post a warning that the following pictures are very graphic and may upset old guys who restore these machines .
I almost cried .......

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The second one is an old Piston Bully located at the former Big Thunder Ski Hill which has been closed for years it was the site of the 1995 Nordic Ski Jumping Games. The hill was shut down shortly after. The old ski lift and jumps are still there sitting abandoned. Apparently so is the snowcat they used.(ignore the chick doing the cheezy pose as I found this while browsing around. There are links below the picture for images of both hills as they sit today.

6936785540_994a360873_b.jpg

http://matt.wandel.ca/big_thunder/
http://matt.wandel.ca/candy_mountain/index.html

the old trucker

If that first machine was left abandoned in the woods, not fenced in, & has been there for at least 20 + years, would it be free to the fellow that wanted to take it or would you have to go thru legal paperwork ??

jask

If that first machine was left abandoned in the woods, not fenced in, & has been there for at least 20 + years, would it be free to the fellow that wanted to take it or would you have to go thru legal paperwork ??
sounds to me like it was on private property.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
From what I can figure, the first machine is still on the grounds of the old ski hill either at the bottom of the hill near the old ski lodges or about halfway up the hill at a garage area the old ski hill used to have. The ski hill is now privately owned and there is an agreement with the current owner that they will not operate it as a ski hill again. The previous owner of the hill also owned (and still owns) another ski hill here. When Candy mountain hill was shut down, he also owned Loch Lomond ski hill which is a little closer to the city. At the time, there wasn't enough business to keep both hills running so he decided (over a coin toss apparently) to shut down candy mountain in the mid 90's.

I remember skiing that hill when I was 12. Can't recall where the garage was halfway up though.