• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Motor in Bombardier:Front or Back?

Nubee

I am in the process of rebuilding and restoring a 1978 Bombardier muskeg carrier that's in pretty rough shape. I had to pull the motor out to get to the gears and thought I would move the motor to the back to keep it from being front heavy. Now I am getting conflicting advice as to whether the motor is better in the front or back. I am new to this and would appreciate any opinions.
Thanks.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It depends what you plan to do with the machine.
With no load the Tractor style (center engine) will be better balanced fore and aft.

If you want to have a dump body on the back or often carry lots of cargo, the front engine, Carrier style would be better.

I prefer the center engine Tractor because it's easier to get at the differential and well balanced in snow.

http://www.safetyoneinc.com/specsheets/bombi.muskcartrac.1.html

Nubee

I am thinking of going with the tractor style engine in the center. I am looking for photos or a diagram that shows how to couple the motor and transmission to the front differential. With a perkins diesel and a 5 speed New Process transmission it doesn't leave much room for a driveline.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Where are you located ? Maybe someone has one near you.

Here is a picture of my owners manual. I believe it shows the Chrysler engine. I'd be willing to do some measuring for you but mine has a 318 and a 4 speed so I'm not sure it's the same.

Attachments

• PIXMuskegCthru.jpg
    PIXMuskegCthru.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,162

Nubee

I am in Alaska. I haven't found anyone with a similar rig yet. Still looking. Thanks for the photo of your owners manual. I am not sure it will help since my motor is a Perkins diesel and seems a lot larger than yours. Also your engine seems to set lower in the tunnel-mine sets higher on the deck which changes the length and angle of the driveline. Thinking about mounting the engine back in the original position.

tin knocker rob

i know this has nothing to do with your diss. but does any one out there have any pics or drawings of the driveline in a j5 . I'm looking at getting one but since i really don't know that much about them Ide like to start rounding up as much info before hand so i have idea of what I'm getting myself into to do a power plant conversion .

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is the Perkins the four cylinder? The six is a large heavy engine for a somewhat small Muskeg...

Regards, Kirk

tin knocker rob

i dont know.. hopeing to find out more about it on wendsday .. i saw it tucked up by a barn last week when i was on the road, didn't have a chance to look at it and its about a 6 hour drive out to where its at.. to me it actually looks bigger than a j5..and it looks like it has an inclosed cockpit.its yellow and looks like a small school bus on tracks..lol... but my co workkers told me its a j5.. i had never seen one before, but we have a lok of tracked drilling rigs around where i live, here in newfoundland.. once i saw it i said to my self "man that the project for me.. i dont even care if it runs.. lol we got alot of back woods around here , beats a atv or snow mobile as far as im concerned.. ide likandlee to get my hands on some technical drawings of teh from drive line so i can understand how it works.. and what kinda power it can handle any help or input would be great

thanks

rob

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Rob, welcome to this forum !
Does the machine look like this one ?
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=51570

The drivelines are similar in Muskeg Tractor (shown above) and in the J5 and in the B12 shown in that link.

Kind of hard to collect parts until you are surer about what you're lookin' at :smile:

Last edited:

tin knocker rob

how much power could a j5 front drive system and tracks take.. i got some skills when it comes to fabrication and sandwiching in power plants im a licenced automotive technican and sheet metal fabricator.. ide stuff a small block chev in there if i could get away with it..

the old trucker

i dont know.. hopeing to find out more about it on wendsday .. i saw it tucked up by a barn last week when i was on the road, didn't have a chance to look at it and its about a 6 hour drive out to where its at.. to me it actually looks bigger than a j5..and it looks like it has an inclosed cockpit.its yellow and looks like a small school bus on tracks..lol... but my co workkers told me its a j5.. i had never seen one before, but we have a lok of tracked drilling rigs around where i live, here in newfoundland.. once i saw it i said to my self "man that the project for me.. i dont even care if it runs.. lol we got alot of back woods around here , beats a atv or snow mobile as far as im concerned.. ide likandlee to get my hands on some technical drawings of teh from drive line so i can understand how it works.. and what kinda power it can handle any help or input would be great

thanks

rob

Welcome Rob. I think you are talking about the yellow J5 that is by the side of the barn in Parsons Pond, left side of the highway when your travelling toward St. Anthony. It is owned by a fellow, his last name is Payne. It's been there for a long time now. There were pics of it on Kijiji awhile back. Last I heard the price was down to $2,300.00. Where abouts are you from ??

the old trucker

I live in Pasadena. I got my Bombardier B12 frame from a fellow in Springdale. Cog Pelley. Are you looking for a J5 to rebuild or one that is ready to go ?? Did you try Josh Toms in Rattling Brook ??
OT.

tin knocker rob

always good to know some one around who knows a bit about them.. i just moved there, they guys I work with know those fellas.. I'm looking for one on the cheep to do some serious mods to.if it runs get some use of it this winter and spring and have it as a summer project when I'm home .. got a friend out in flowers cove whos going to stop in and talk to the guy in parsons pond.. she might know him... hows yours coming along.. got any pic's

bigs

I am Put together a Bombardier Muskeg Tractor M77, looking for a three man cab for it. the machine is in very good shape. I got it from the State of Michigan Conservation with less then 1000hrs on her used for spraying. Would like to put the original cab on it. If someone know or is taking one off for a fire fighting unit, Please let me know. I will post pic of her coming soon.

samwe

I am in Alaska. I haven't found anyone with a similar rig yet. Still looking. Thanks for the photo of your owners manual. I am not sure it will help since my motor is a Perkins diesel and seems a lot larger than yours. Also your engine seems to set lower in the tunnel-mine sets higher on the deck which changes the length and angle of the driveline. Thinking about mounting the engine back in the original position.

Where in AK? I am in Eagle River and have a Muskeg project also. Planning a Chevy 4.2 inline 6 for it.

The motor is in the front for a reason so you have deck space. You can put the motor where you like. You just will lose deck space. M-5 Bombardier Muskeg Tractor is a 3 man cab with the motor behind the cab. We had 35 mixed models. The S-model Muskeg Carrier is very handy, just that they are front heavy.........Joe

northeastheavy

While we are on the subject of Bombardier bodies!! I have had a BR-60+ and now have a 252-d skidozer, Is the platform the same for both of these?? Did they put the 252-d cab over the engine for deck space and on the BR60+ put the cab on the other end of the platform with a hood over the engine and no deck space. Or is the BR-60+ platform Just a SW-48 platform on steroids, with a bigger cab, wider tracks???
What difference does it make in the snow when your drive sprockets are at the rear or in the front, which is how the 252-d and BR-60+ also differ?? Both drivetrains are the same?

Attachments

• IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 272
  • img_1463.jpg
    img_1463.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 230

northeastheavy

I did know a guy who put a 350 in J-5. He would only say you do not want to hit it too hard. I believe the differentials are rated at about 210 hp.

Hey Pixie- how are things up north??

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
in ww2 the m29 weasel originally was front drive like armor of the time. they found it would preform better in a rear drive configuration so the ring gear was swapped around, and the drivers compartment was moved from the middle to the front of the vehicle. as for front drive verses rear drive I believe there is less wander on a controlled differential on in rear drive configuration and also it appears to be more efficient. by pushing rather than pulling. the down side is in theory rear drive would want to push the front end into the soft terrain and front drive would want to lift it up. also in theory rear drive would work better for towing and front drove maybe not as well. idon't know the real answer maybe they make machines both ways to satisfy theh buying public I own 2 machines both front and rear drive I have no preference.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
boggie would be the one who could say if they are the same.

I gathered somewhere that rear drive sprockets turn a little better, especially with a 'trailer'. But most groomers end up with ram steer anyway.

Hey, NEH ! I've just been out plowing with my Skidozer :smile: Love the old gas engine. ( My plow truck wouldn't start today: diesel )

northeastheavy

I would think with the sprocket in the front it would climb up on the snow better as it is higher and with the sprocket in the rear, the front looks like it pushed through the snow. Should really be like front and rear wheel drive in a car.
Pixie- Just fixed 2 plows, of course the skidozer plow was off!!
always something to fix!!
Do like the perkins diesel. we should have a drag race!!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Looking at the pictures of the BR60 and Skidozer; I think the engine is more centered in the BR60. It seems further back from the end of the frame but also the wheels seem further apart. Wonder if the # of grousers is the same ?

NEH...I don't know about a drag race... we'd have to handicap for short/mismatched grousers :flowers: ....Does yours have high/low range ?