• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

muskeg carrier steering cylinder

timandkim

hello everyone im having trouble with a steering cylyinder leaking on a 1981 muskeg carrier and i was wondering if this is a bombardier part or was it made by a outside manufacturer . any info would be great thanks .
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 427

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i havn't seen one like that on any thing else but any good hydraulic repai facility can rebuid that one for you and usualy for a lot less than the dealer can sell you a new one.

dpaulson

Hi Tim

You should be able to take it apart and measure up for new seals. I thought your muskeg wasn't set up for hydraulic steering. Your cylinders are equiped for it.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
hello everyone im having trouble with a steering cylyinder leaking on a 1981 muskeg carrier and i was wondering if this is a bombardier part or was it made by a outside manufacturer . any info would be great thanks .
Tim

That is a Bombardier part you can get the u cups at a hydraulic shop the double slave is over 700.00 from Bombardier one side is for hydraulics and the other is for brake fluid from the master cylinder

Last edited:

timandkim

thanks that explains why it has hydraulic line on it . how does that work what triggers the hydraulic preasure . i have it at local hydraulic shop but they said they have never seen anything like it they are trying to rebuild it have to see how they make out im not very hopeful . boggie would you know where i could buy a kit to rebuild it and what would the kit cost in comparison to a new one . thanks
Tim

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks that explains why it has hydraulic line on it . how does that work what triggers the hydraulic preasure . i have it at local hydraulic shop but they said they have never seen anything like it they are trying to rebuild it have to see how they make out im not very hopeful . boggie would you know where i could buy a kit to rebuild it and what would the kit cost in comparison to a new one . thanks
Tim

The u cup is all that they normally need unless they are pitted on the walls then you have two options either sleave them or some have had good sucess using JB weld smeared into the inside and then when it cures go inwith a brake cylinder hone and hone it out and the JB will have filled in the pits.
we have the U cups here if you need them they are under 20.00 ea.

timandkim

thats great can you email me your phone number so i can order them from you , even if that shop fixs it i doubt it will last like a factory part so would like to have them on hand thanks
Tim

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks that explains why it has hydraulic line on it . how does that work what triggers the hydraulic preasure .

somewhere on the forums I posted the hydraulic diagram before. the hydraulic side is normally open to tank unless you pull on the hydraulic lever then it will close the hydraulic supply and biuld pressure to the releif valve setting (about 500 psi on a muskeg is all that should be needed ) more on bigger machine the supply is normally a small vickers vane pump run be a pulley on gas engines and by a gear on the diesels