• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Report Your Snow Depth

Briarpatch

SnowOps, I wished !!!! That storm is way south of where we are! I am hoping that the Snowy Range and Laramie gets some snow soon. We only have about 5-6 inches of snow at 9,000 feet.

Briapatch

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We got a storm that passed through the past few days that dumped 15-20 inches on us. Looking like we're actually gonna get snow this year unlike last season.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie, those Chinese characters in your signature say "Don't drink too much coffee." I think you already know this, though. If you want, I can produce a stranger signature for you. Something you even wouldn't want to write in English on these forums.

It's funny how one translator will say one thing and another something else it really says "the coffee is on.":)

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple-a-few feet just south of Silverton, CO (Coal Bank Pass). Temp hi 20s to lo 30s midday.

Roadside Snowbank
Coal_Bank_Pass_CO_1.JPG

Arriving On Site (wish I had my snowcat, took about a dozen snowshoe trips to get all my gear here)
My_Office_1.JPG

Clearing a Few Feet of Snow
My_Office_3.JPG

High-Tech Gear-Crap Installed
My_Office_2.JPG

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple-a-few feet just south of Silverton, CO (Coal Bank Pass). Temp hi 20s to lo 30s midday.

Roadside Snowbank
Coal_Bank_Pass_CO_1.JPG

Arriving On Site (wish I had my snowcat, took about a dozen snowshoe trips to get all my gear here)
My_Office_1.JPG

Clearing a Few Feet of Snow
My_Office_3.JPG

High-Tech Gear-Crap Installed
My_Office_2.JPG

OK Bob what keeps those little tubs from flooding? and how long do those batteries last or are they solar? Is that a little data logger in there? What kind of vibration are you monitoring? or are you secretly monitoring for sasquatch
movements? you know you may find some Yetti tracks over the top of one of those someday. as it is being pulled by a Thoikol, Sorry Al just had to put a dig in. :yum: :yum:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
OK Bob what keeps those little tubs from flooding? and how long do those batteries last or are they solar? Is that a little data logger in there? What kind of vibration are you monitoring? or are you secretly monitoring for sasquatch
movements? you know you may find some Yetti tracks over the top of one of those someday. as it is being pulled by a Thoikol, Sorry Al just had to put a dig in. :yum: :yum:

Pretty much watertight, but things are rarely completely watertight so there's a bilge pump at the bottom (couple more feet down). This site has two 80W solar panels and two 100AH batteries. We normally run one panel and battery, but this site is in shade most of the time. It's a seismic datalogger with external hard drive. The part numbers for bith units are taken from an old John Deer tractor and it's baler. The designer is an antique tractor nut.
www.kinemetrics.com
www.kinemetrics.com/PDFs/q330.pdf?newsid=111

We tried to detect Yetti recently, but it was so light and fast that we missed it. We should have better luck with a slow and lumbering Thiokol as our equipment is more geared toward long-period earth-shaking events, but parts falling of Snot Tracs may also be easily detectable. :moon:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
@100 miles SW of Bel Air, same thing, 4 inches, 18 degrees

Jim

NW Indiana 6 inches, 4(F) degrees. We have a snow advisory for tonight :applause: so we have some hope for another 6" of snow if all works out well.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Pretty much watertight, but things are rarely completely watertight so there's a bilge pump at the bottom (couple more feet down). This site has two 80W solar panels and two 100AH batteries. We normally run one panel and battery, but this site is in shade most of the time. It's a seismic datalogger with external hard drive. The part numbers for bith units are taken from an old John Deer tractor and it's baler. The designer is an antique tractor nut.
www.kinemetrics.com
www.kinemetrics.com/PDFs/q330.pdf?newsid=111

We tried to detect Yetti recently, but it was so light and fast that we missed it. We should have better luck with a slow and lumbering Thiokol as our equipment is more geared toward long-period earth-shaking events, but parts falling of Snot Tracs may also be easily detectable. :moon:

Good one Bob. Good one. :pat:

We are expecting 7" of snow today.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well as of this morning we have 12-14 inches on the ground and now it cleared off and it is -22F without the windchill. The high Today is maybe 10F
:smileywac

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie.....sounds like you guys got about the same snow as us. I'm only about 8 hrs north of you. We're getting the same cold snap as you.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie.....sounds like you guys got about the same snow as us. I'm only about 8 hrs north of you. We're getting the same cold snap as you.

You must be close to my fishing hole. Dogtooth lake south and east of Kenora ? We try to get up there once or twice a summer. :thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
(RUTH NV) 6" and still falling from Heaven! SLC was a disaster zone with all those damned rice burners crashing every mile or too. At first I thought I was at a Kristi snowcat convention but realized that there are not that many Kristis!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, after a few storms passed through the area the past few weeks, here's what we've got so far for snow. Just to the south of us, they got allot more(seems all the storms kinda hung around Lake superior and we just got the tail end of them) On the level, there's probably 1-2 feet so far.

boat001-1.jpg

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Enough to get the smaller Yamaha snowmobiles out and play a little. Probably 12+ inches on the average. The wind the first of last week stacked much of our base in hard drifts that was out in the open meadows. The last several days gave us about 10 inches additional. We were able to see a herd of elk off the snowmobiles yesterday. We took a couple of quick pics and left them alone. We live in an area where they bunch and mate before hard winter drives them to lower elevations.
P1010036.JPG

P1010042  PZ Snowmobilie.JPG

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Some parts about 18" to 24". My house about 18" I'm at 7,000 feet roughly. I went Snow Shoeing for the first time today and LOVED it. I was at about 8,000 to 9,000 on the hike. Oh Ive had Snowshoes on around the microwave sites and such but never went hiking like I did today. I just found a new hobbie!

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 426
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 415

socal4t12

southern california got between 8 and 20" in the last 2 days for the mountains in the angles and san bernardino forests. mammoth showing 24" of fresh at the base this morning. hope there is alot more on the way. another storm is rolling in 10 days from now.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
taken 10 minutes ago.............

105_0307.jpg

picture does not do the snowfall justice........I could barely see across the street when I took the picture..........looking forward to my first snowcat ride of the season this saturday......I plan on a full day of trail-packing with just the machine(no drag behind)

srexecmark

26" at my place near the crest of the Washington Cascades. The weather bureau has issued a winter storm watch for Friday and Saturday (12/14-15) for an additional 12-14". Tucker weather!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Elk City, Idaho
8:30AM
4101 feet elevation

21 degrees ,snowing lightly, 8" base

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Currently, no snow. It just missed us the other day.

There's a winter storm watch in place for all of W. NY and PA starting Saturday night and through Sunday night with accumulations of a foot or more.
Unfortunately, I need to drive almost 300 miles right through all of it on Sunday. (from the Rochester NY area West through Buffalo, South (through the snow-belt area) to Erie PA then due S. towards Pittsburgh)

I'm not looking forward to that drive... Already unpacked the van and re-loaded everything in the truck so at least we have 4wd.

yellowpine O.T.S.

Five feet of setteled snow and counting at 7600msl(Profile Pass) more accumulating as I type. All is well here in Central Idaho now that the worst fire season since 1910 has passed.
Cheers and Happy Holidays, KIF