• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Smart Phone GPS apps

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Just found a couple apps for iPhones and Android based phones that sound like a must have for any one going out in the back country. IhikeGPS for iPhone and Backcountry Navigator Pro for Android. I tried the Ihike on my iPhone today and it worked great. Best thing about these is they work off your phones GPS signal so they work even if you loose cell service. Both do TOPO maps . For less than $10.00 they are a good safety measure if you ever need it..FWIW.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It may work great but be sure to compare the readings to a real GPS before trusting it.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Tracking error was about the same as my Garmin in-dash unit with external antenna. Another thing to be aware of current USGS maps are way out of date compared to USFS maps

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I tried out the GPS app Sunday on a 30 mile trip on the Grand Mesa in western Colorado. Pretty impressive, accuracy was very good. Would suggest putting on mini iPad or iPad as the small screen size of my iPhone makes it a tad less useful. Or what ever the android tablet would be. Only problem I encountered was inability to download the topo when cell service was lost. Operates like basic level GPS..waypoint and go-to features plus track as well as reverse track. Handles Lat Long, UTM coordinates. I never go out without a real topo map and compass as anything FRED can fail or lose power. All in all worth the $7-8.00 I spent

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 90