• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac vistors over the weekend

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
Even with no snow you still can have a snow trac Adventure!
Mike and his Wife drop by and spent some time getting to know Anchorage
coming and Going after picking up their new toy
Great people just too short of a visit!
back to work on mine
And I did have an operating snow trac till Doug show up
that another story and pictures to come

Attachments

• DSCN7197.jpg
    DSCN7197.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN7200.jpg
    DSCN7200.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 361

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes more stories please!!

Glad you got to meet our other forum members! I had the pleasure of introducing those two to their very first Snow Trac ride on an Iowa farm.

They are some of the best of people to! :biggrin:

Wish them a safe travel when they decide to come home for me... :flowers:

Regards, Kirk

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like you have about the right amount of snow in the ICE box for the snow track. Hope it doesn't melt before they get it home.

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
It's organic non GMO snow can only be had in Alaska! Last forever with no artificial preserves!
It's one of our state secrets :yum:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. and Mrs. Sqrwil,

I wood be checking the tightness of the lugs on your trailer every so often, That type has a tendency to get loose and the wheel come off. Done there, been that.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike has missed out on some outstanding weather 70 degrees sat likely going to be that way again today.

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
Suprise over-night guests ! Mr. & Mrs. Redsqrl are nearly home with the Sno-Trac ! Stopped in Minnesota , we had a great evening with many stories of their adventure ! Great to see one from Alaska make it's way to the lower 48 :clap: We did not get to tryout my Submarine but always fun to to hang-out with Fourm members . They have had a great adventure and it makes me jealous to hearabout it and determined to go on our own trip soon ! I have met some GREAT people on this Fourms/Fourms for sure!! ~~night-owl~~ ST#2018

Attachments

• redsqrl.jpg
    redsqrl.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 255

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
night -owl did he give you a lesson in coiling a electrical cord the correct way?
he ought to do a u tube thing on that!

night-owl

GOLD Site Supporter
I have learned that from a carpenter, he did show me a picture of a new use for a high lift jack and gave me a tip on the best way to remove unwanted undercoating from a project I am working on, he is very resourceful, glad my Sno-Trac did not eat him at the Clowder in the Powder!! ( see Clowder pic's) ST2018

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's organic non GMO snow can only be had in Alaska! Last forever with no artificial preserves!
It's one of our state secrets :yum:

I used that line while giving out snow cones at a "youth outdoors event" we represented the local snowmobile club, pushing our state required safety course and just general info on how the trail system works in WI.
we offered three flavors of snow cone. cherry, blue raspberry and plain"
we actually handed out two plain out of the 350 total served. ( it was identified and natural and preservative free)
it was 97 degrees, humid as it should be, and kids hopping on the snowmobiles (with signs that said not to) and grooming machines as the vinyl black seats were cooking in the sun was hilarious,

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. and Mrs. Sqrwil,

I wood be checking the tightness of the lugs on your trailer every so often, That type has a tendency to get loose and the wheel come off. Done there, been that.

Oh yes, I am an experienced budd wheel tow-er, Ironically the trip was all about the Alcan Highway and my desire to drive it some day.

I had aligned another (rented) trailer up for the tow and when it dawned on the retailer what his trailer was about to endure his rate went way up.

The trailer in the photo is a very tired, home-made, car trailer that has served me well through my off road, truck pulling, rally car racing, Ice house moving days.
The load on the way up was loaded by a putz (me) and the heaves in the road warranted slowing a bit more than i did. Here at one of the stop and go trafffic back ups on the highway evidence of another *issue* is obvious to everyone but the tow-er guy.
I kept saying to lisa that something is going on with the trailer but just couldn't find it during morning walk arounds and fuel stops.

Attachments

• stop light.JPG
    stop light.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 143

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Surprise over-night guests ! Mr. & Mrs. Redsqrl are nearly home with the Sno-Trac ! Stopped in Minnesota , we had a great evening with many stories of their adventure ! Great to see one from Alaska make it's way to the lower 48 :clap: We did not get to tryout my Submarine but always fun to to hang-out with Fourm members . They have had a great adventure and it makes me jealous to hearabout it and determined to go on our own trip soon ! I have met some GREAT people on this Fourms/Fourms for sure!! ~~night-owl~~ ST#2018

Nearly home! that is a great quote. no true-er words spoken. we had made it Up to alaska in four nights. and for the life of me we kept falling behind on the ride back down. days kept getting shorter and the clock seemed to run faster. Lisa received word that her start date on a new position was moved up a week and we needed to get her home a week earlier than expected, swapping towing stories with experienced folks was very enjoyable rewarding experience for sure.
arriving in Alaska thinking we are nearly there was a funny experience; overcame some drama with the trailer,
crossed the border with a load of lumber and random building material,
got used to not having a usable cell phone service
we look up at the GPS and it states *arrive at destination in 20
:48...... that thing is mistaken* technology, bahh who needs it.....

The photos are from a sony cyber shot that was not capable of taking a 6' fall to the floor (fuzzy)

Nearly Home

Attachments

• DSC04179.jpg
    DSC04179.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC04172.jpg
    DSC04172.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have learned that from a carpenter, he did show me a picture of a new use for a high lift jack and gave me a tip on the best way to remove unwanted undercoating from a project I am working on, he is very resourceful, glad my Sno-Trac did not eat him at the Clowder in the Powder!! ( see Clowder pic's) ST2018

High lift jack (handy-man in North East WI):
On the way up stress in the van in regards to fuel stops was mounting and full lunch stop was warranted, we pulled into Watson lake, Looking for my requisite non-franchise mom and pop food place, Kathys fit the bill perfectly, I did a walk around of the trailer, lisa went ahead to secure a table and start the process of: Drinks, food, Desert Today?...
After a great lunch, we were back in the van headed north, I spotted a fuel pump; I had learned to not pass those up.. I pulled in and fueled up, secured some road food and bought a Yellow fuel can to bring an appropriate amount of reserve fuel along with us. This reserve was to ease the * where is the next fuel stop* conversation with the navigator.
It was there at the fuel stop that the trailer let out another clue to my feelings of *something isn't right with the trailer game*. This game was like a chess game. the trailer displayed a move, I countered a thought.
But the trailer put me in check. the tongue of the trailer broke, with a thud the load of lumber was on the ground. The co-driver walked east, I walked west upon our return we had a fence post, a block of cedar, and a metal T-post.
I jacked up the trailer and went looking AGAIN for some indication of what was failing on the trailer. the gravel truck stop was very rutted, the trailer had bottomed out on the back left, putting all the weight on the hitch, the axles offering no support. Look at the stop light photo to see that corner sagging.
I strapped the frame up and went looking for a welder.
I found three in town, two of the machines were too busy with work for the upcoming holiday, or unwilling to weld on the chassis... the third gentleman offered to call a portable welder service.
I secured a few pieces of angle Iron so when I did find/rent a welder I could make the repair myself.
The handy-man went to work so I could get around town with out a loud schreeching dragging sound that certainly gain some unwanted attention. when it was clear nobody in town was going to help out, I wandered down the road gingerly on the throttle. I found a shop that had plenty of evidence of my people laying around the yard and inquired about welding, Upon seeing the project, OH you have chassis damage, I'll call a tow truck" "that's unsafe"
Where is the navigator time to GO!...... Plan A was out.
Plan B, Buy a new trailer.
Long story short the Jack repair held up all the way to White horse and my confidence came back as well.

Attachments

• DSC03895.jpg
    DSC03895.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 133

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
YES, we made it.

Thanks to a variety of members, this was a rich and rewarding experience.
there was a trail of halibut falling out of a white van across 3500 miles of by-way:
Time was spent and stories swapped with many a creature.
There were:
Awehell snow
svedka
3512b
niteowl
cootbruce
Yeti

that list reads like a cast of characters, Ironically they are !