• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1965 Thiokol 601 Budget Restoration/Resurrection

PradoTDI

great project. unbelievable what a couple tires taking air do for the attitude.

are your old grousers just fatigued to failure?

The air made it SO much easier to move, too. Two people can easily push it around.

All of the grousers that were on the bottom where it was parked are badly rusted and filled with dirt. Many others have stress fractures around the drop centers. I figure that few would be worth saving, so I might as well replace them all to prevent failure in the backcountry.

PradoTDI

Question for the Thiokol gurus here: I was reading through some literature on the 4T10 Trackmaster and it said they used hardened grousers. I'm assuming the same would be true of the 601. Does anyone know exactly what kind of steel and hardening process was used? Initially I planned on just using generic 1.25" mild steel tubing to make new grousers, but perhaps I need to look at stronger options? Either that or increase the wall thickness of the tubing to compensate.

Also, does anyone know where to find an operator/maintenance manual for a 601? I've been scouring the net and have come up empty so far.

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Question for the Thiokol gurus here: I was reading through some literature on the 4T10 Trackmaster and it said they used hardened grousers. I'm assuming the same would be true of the 601. Does anyone know exactly what kind of steel and hardening process was used? Initially I planned on just using generic 1.25" mild steel tubing to make new grousers, but perhaps I need to look at stronger options? Either that or increase the wall thickness of the tubing to compensate.

Also, does anyone know where to find an operator/maintenance manual for a 601? I've been scouring the net and have come up empty so far.
Contact Dan Gates of snowcatservice in SLC for the manual. He may also know about the grousers.

vintagebike

This 1958 Trackmaster 4VL, any early Thiokol ancestor, was on its way to being fully polished by the previous owner in the high desert of Northern California.

Attachments

• E052C342-3553-4285-9768-B60F16BD9BE5.jpeg
    E052C342-3553-4285-9768-B60F16BD9BE5.jpeg
    955 KB · Views: 142

PradoTDI

Any luck on finding a manual for the 601? I am in need of one myself.
Unfortunately not. I have been scouring the internet off and on ever since I bought the cat and have come up empty handed every time. The closest I got was a manual for a Thiokol 4T10, but the drivetrain is substantially different and it wasn't much use. I tried emailing Snowcat Service in Salt Lake but never got a reply, perhaps a phone call would be better.

Sweet looking 601, by the way. Was yours one of the three that were for sale in CO a few months ago?

PradoTDI

This 1958 Trackmaster 4VL, any early Thiokol ancestor, was on its way to being fully polished by the previous owner in the high desert of Northern California.
That looks great! I like the semi-polished look, it seems like it would be a lot easier than keeping a mirror finish like some of the older Airstream trailers. I am hoping to be able to soda-blast the cab of mine inside and out, I have been wanting to experiment with different blast medias to find one that produces a nice finish on aluminum.

fritz

Unfortunately not. I have been scouring the internet off and on ever since I bought the cat and have come up empty handed every time. The closest I got was a manual for a Thiokol 4T10, but the drivetrain is substantially different and it wasn't much use. I tried emailing Snowcat Service in Salt Lake but never got a reply, perhaps a phone call would be better.

Sweet looking 601, by the way. Was yours one of the three that were for sale in CO a few months ago?
Yes she was one of the three. I may have a line on a manual, if I do in fact get ahold of one I would be more than willing to share it here. All in all I'm pretty impressed with the mechanical shape of this 601. Recieved full maintenance. Records for her during her time at fish and game. The guy I got her from is super cool and has been very helpful sharing his knowledge

PradoTDI

Yes she was one of the three. I may have a line on a manual, if I do in fact get ahold of one I would be more than willing to share it here. All in all I'm pretty impressed with the mechanical shape of this 601. Recieved full maintenance. Records for her during her time at fish and game. The guy I got her from is super cool and has been very helpful sharing his knowledge
That would be fantastic! I have searched all over, even for a pdf copy of a manual, but haven't even been able to determine if such a document even existed. Most of the drivetrain and mechanical aspects are pretty straightforward but having service specifications and wiring diagrams would be especially useful.

fritz

That would be fantastic! I have searched all over, even for a pdf copy of a manual, but haven't even been able to determine if such a document even existed. Most of the drivetrain and mechanical aspects are pretty straightforward but having service specifications and wiring diagrams would be especially useful.
Agreed. I would just like to know more about the intended specs for things like track tension air pressure and whatnot

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter

Might be a good idea to call Dan at Snowcat Services, he is a full time fire fighter and the snowcat business is on the side, so it sometimes takes him a bit of time to get what you need. But with my experience he has always been very helpful and followed through, just have to be patient. He had the manual for my 62' Spryte 201 and one for its Ford 170 engine.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr moose has it spot on, having met him and toured his enterprise, let him know you are a contributor here at FF's he takes care of forum members.
MIke

Snowy Rivers

BIGGER IS BETTER.......
The OC12 is definitely a beefy box.......
I have never seen an OC15 in person.

The 15 could handle some really herky power plants for sure...

Maybe a cat diesel with minimal worries....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
IF by chance you ever considered a 300 CID Ford 6 cylinder I have an extra one available.
I think it is 89 model year, 4.9 liter TPI engine. Approximately 90k miles taken from a pick up truck.
Altitude compensated, high torque long runner intake manifold, split exhaust manifold. The last incarnation of the fabled Ford inline 6 series.
$500 with wiring harness. I know you have a baler motor. This engine was intended for Brad at Minnesota Outdoors owner who just passed.
PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:

PradoTDI

Prado TDI,.... I think if you search "601 RESTORE" by weatherby , it should answer most of your questions on restoring one of these things. (y)
Wow, 601 royalty has shown up! I read through your restoration thread a couple of times after I first bought the snowcat, and will definitely bookmark it for reference when I start serious work on mine. One question does come to mind: do you still have the die for pressing new grouser backing plates? Quite a few of mine are pretty rough and need to be replaced.

PradoTDI

IF by chance you ever considered a 300 CID Ford 6 cylinder I have an extra one available.
I think it is 89 model year, 4.9 liter TPI engine. Approximately 90k miles taken from a pick up truck.
Altitude compensated, high torque long runner intake manifold, split exhaust manifold. The last incarnation of the fabled Ford inline 6 series.
$500 with wiring harness. I know you have a baler motor. This engine was intended for Brad at Minnesota Outdoors owner who just passed.
PM me if you are interested.
That is very tempting, and I would definitely take you up on it but I am currently pinching pennies to finish up school. Thanks for the offer though!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, 601 royalty has shown up! I read through your restoration thread a couple of times after I first bought the snowcat, and will definitely bookmark it for reference when I start serious work on mine. One question does come to mind: do you still have the die for pressing new grouser backing plates? Quite a few of mine are pretty rough and need to be replaced.
That weatherby had a weak moment about a year ago or so...... He was being all mature and stuff and cleaning out clutter.....It was an timing thing. so yes the tooling is not lost to the scrappers. I have a bunch to make myself and we can chat about logistics. Im in WI 54913 The backing plate tooling is not far from my seated position.

weatherby

That weatherby had a weak moment about a year ago or so...... He was being all mature and stuff and cleaning out clutter.....It was an timing thing. so yes the tooling is not lost to the scrappers. I have a bunch to make myself and we can chat about logistics. Im in WI 54913 The backing plate tooling is not far from my seated position.
Well, there ya go Prado TDI, ......Redsqwrl took the words right out of my mouth lol lol ...Yeah the die still exists but redsqwrl has it.

PradoTDI

That's great to know! My summer project time got taken up by some issues with my LandCruiser project and rescuing a 1965 Volvo, so I didn't get the time to work on grousers that I had hoped to, maybe this winter I can launch into it. I still need to take a close look at the tracks and figure up how many grousers and backing plates are salvageable.

Snowy Rivers

Having tracks sitting on the ground for extended periods really takes a toll on them for sure.....The UV from the sun, plus heat, water ...repeat...is tough on the rubber belts too.....
Years of hard use is tough on even the best grousers, and over time there will be stress cracks in the high load areas.

Your plan to build new grousers is likely the best idea.......Maybe save any old ones that still seem good as spares to make a repair in a pinch...

Good luck on the project.....

PradoTDI

Sadly no, I currently don't have access to shop space to work in so there's not much I can do. With the onset of winter I keep thinking about the snowcat and scheming how to get some space to work on it, but I haven't come up with a feasible plan yet.

fritz

Sadly no, I currently don't have access to shop space to work in so there's not much I can do. With the onset of winter I keep thinking about the snowcat and scheming how to get some space to work on it, but I haven't come up with a feasible plan yet.
Sorry to hear that. I've been wrapping up odds and ends on mine so she can run this winter, but I do need to layout a plan for her future. I would like to rebuild the full cab at some point soon

PradoTDI

Sorry to hear that. I've been wrapping up odds and ends on mine so she can run this winter, but I do need to layout a plan for her future. I would like to rebuild the full cab at some point soon
That's exciting! Hopefully you can get some good hours in the machine this winter. When you go to rebuild the cab feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to provide photos and measurements of mine for reference.

fritz

That's exciting! Hopefully you can get some good hours in the machine this winter. When you go to rebuild the cab feel free to let me know, I'd be happy to provide photos and measurements of mine for reference.
Thanks, I would appreciate that. I haven't decided if I want it back to stock. Solid cab, or if I should do like pickup topper style for the back, so it's enclosed but can be removed. I know for sure bigger windows for the rear are a must, it's awfully dark in the cab as of now