• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Installing 3" schedule 40 conduit

DJMTruck

First time on this forum. I need to install about 100' of 3" schedule 40 conduit so the electric coop will bury the power line from the road to my house. I'll be putting 90° sweeps at both ends & an elbow in the middle. These conduits are 10' long & I'm worried about joining them. The're belled at one end but it's a very tight fit & I need advice on how to join them. Do I just put a 2x4 over the end and pound the heck out of them? How about the sweeps & elbow? Any advice on this project is greatly appreciated! Thanks

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
First time on this forum. I need to install about 100' of 3" schedule 40 conduit so the electric coop will bury the power line from the road to my house. I'll be putting 90° sweeps at both ends & an elbow in the middle. These conduits are 10' long & I'm worried about joining them. The're belled at one end but it's a very tight fit & I need advice on how to join them. Do I just put a 2x4 over the end and pound the heck out of them? How about the sweeps & elbow? Any advice on this project is greatly appreciated! Thanks

The Bell on the end is the coupling. The proper way to cement PVC is to brush the cement on both the inside of the bell and the end of the pipe that goes in. Do both. When done correctly, the glue that seeps out will look like a weld. Yes, a 2x4 is exactly what you use with a small 3 pound beater. Mark the end of the pipe the length of the coupling so you know when to stop pounding on the end of the pipe. You will get a feel for it in time, but you will prolly be done with the project when you do.

The 90 degree turn in the middle is best if the pipe is railroaded. If that is not possible, then purchase a long radius elbow. The pros call them long sweeps.You can also use two 45 degree fittings with a short straight piece like 2-3 feet in between. The intent here is to minimize pulling drag while chugging the cable in the conduit. Use plenty of yellow 77 wire lube.

I've done it a few times in my life. :smile:

Good luck.