• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Birds hitting windows

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
It seems as if my house is a magnet for birds . most of the bird strikes Ive had have been to the windows that are under our porch . Is there a way to stop, or at least minimize this ?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
You need to install a CIWS.

ciws11.jpg

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
nixon said:
It seems as if my house is a magnet for birds . most of the bird strikes Ive had have been to the windows that are under our porch . Is there a way to stop, or at least minimize this ?

In one word:confused2: . Mattress:yum:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon,
We have that happen quite a bit. It happens more when the window is shadowed. The birds don't see the glass and think they can fly right through the opening. The one we have the most trouble with is on the front of the house. That window is 9' wide.
I've heard you can get some bird decals to put on there and it may help. I've also heard tape strips work well too.

mak2

One boinked itself to death on the passenger side window of my pickup truck right in my driveway in front of my kids. Thought it might have knocked itself out so I picked it up to put it in a tree and its neck was obviuosly broke. It was deader that a door knob in seconds.

P

Pigtails

We have problems like that in the summer up here on the mountains. Not too much in the winter time. If it starts to get real bad I'll close our lace curtains for about 1/2 a day, or until the sun is in a different direction. At least with the lace it still lets some light in. :eek: And the birds don't seem to think it is part of the forest with the reflections when the sun is shining in the window.

Cityboy

Banned
Even more effective: Tape a picture of Junkman to your window. Guaranteed to frighten birds, cats, children and Jehova's wittnesses away from your windows.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey John,

Are the birds whacking themselves into the glass because they don't see it or do you get the same bird making repetitive whacks from a close distance because they see their reflection?

If the latter, good luck... I have had the same problem for a year or more. I tried taping a pic of an owl to the glass. Didn't do a thing.

I purchased an owl decoy and have had mediocre results. It works for awhile if the owl is placed within a few feet of the window and you move it every couple days. After that, it's just something else for them to land on before making their window strike.

Mrs. Zoom had a Christmas decoration in the window for awhile. It was a 24" star with lights around the perimeter. That seemed to work as long as the lights were on all day.:(

In my case, it's also the same bird from day-to-day. I believe the best answer is 22 shotshell.:hide:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the ideas folks . I'll try some of them . anything to stop the carnage :)
Brian it's not the same bird . it's everything from Humming Birds,robins in the spring ,and summer , to Doves and Falcons in the winter . I have full length porches on the house . Most of the strikes occur in the windows under the porches . Maybe hanging something from the eaves of the porch will work .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it's not the same bird, you may have luck with an owl decoy. Just put it where they can see it while on final approach. It should make them turn.