• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Father arrested for carrying out Citizens Arrest of punks

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From our compatriots in merry old England I give you the following:

Father arrested for carrying out citizen's arrest on yobs 'who threw apples at him and his wife' | Mail Online

article-1215025-0685BA06000005DC-784_468x304.jpg

When police failed to help after Roland Digby's house was repeatedly pelted with apples by a gang of youths, the father-of-three tried to perform a citizen's arrest. But instead of the yobs, it is he who has been left facing court. He was arrested and charged with common assault after allegedly placing his hand on a 16-year-old's shoulder to restrain him.

The youth swore at him and a scuffle broke out, so Mr Digby put him in a 'full-nelson' behind-the-back armlock 'to make sure he didn't get away'.
About 15 other teenagers then joined the fray, which ended after several minutes when Mr Digby escaped with a 'clipped lip'.

But despite four 999 calls no officers turned up to his house. When they did arrive five days later, it was Mr Digby that was arrested. The courier driver, 49, said: ' People who stand up for their own rights face a criminal record, while the perpetrators get off. I am totally disgusted by this. The police have just hung me out to dry.

'When I was young, if someone told you to disappear, you would, but now people say you can't touch them or you'll get in trouble. 'I have lived in this town for 25 years and used to run an off-licence. I always complied with enforcing ID checks and I had a good relationship with the police.

'They know me well but I am shocked by what has happened.'

Mr Digby, from Royston, Hertfordshire, says his property had already been targeted twice in a week by youths throwing dozens of crab apples from a nearby BMX bike track.

Despite calling 999 each time, police only turned up hours after the incident, when the teenagers were nowhere to be seen. After a third night of harassment on September 3, when more than 20 teenagers pelted him and his wife Janette with apples as they sat in their garden, Mr Digby called the police at 8.30pm and went to confront the group.

Mr Digby complained to two passing policeman on the way home after he broke free from the scuffle. They told him to go back to the house and wait, but at 11pm he received a call saying no officers would be able to attend that evening. When he was arrested Mr Digby refused to accept a caution and was charged.

He will appear in Stevenage Magistrates' Court tomorrow, but is unrepentant and plans to plead not guilty. He said: 'I don't even know if the kid complained about me or if police finally went to investigate my complaint and arrested me as a result of his story.' The law allows any person to make a citizen's arrest as long as they use only 'reasonable force'. It is understood that the level of force Mr Digby used to restrain the boy will be at the centre of the court case.

None of the youths have been arrested but police are investigating Mr Digby's claims about the apple-throwing and scuffle.

A spokesman for Hertfordshire Police said: 'This is a matter reviewed by the CPS who felt there was enough evidence to bring charges against Mr Digby.

'However, we have not lost sight of the circumstances surrounding this incident which are still under investigation and are committed to resolving the complexities of this case with all parties involved.'​

RedRocker

Yeah, it never would have gotten physical at my place. Those little A holes
would have been Yes Siring while we waited on the cops.