• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The affordable care act is working.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you shitting me? I might have read the rest of the article but you lost me on item #1, which is complete BS.

Further down. 85% of those signed up are paying less because others are picking up the tab. The other 15% are presumably paying more.

Welcome back, Mak

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
On the new Health Insurance Marketplace, insurance companies are finally competing for consumers’ business – and consumers are winning

I guess thats why my insurance went up $190 a month....... total BS article

it even takes credit for savings 2010............. before obamaCAID existed

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For some that don't pay so much or nothing at all ...... and then there are the 40 million that still don't have it!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you shitting me? I might have read the rest of the article but you lost me on item #1, which is complete BS.
the part of this statement that isn't true is the if they get sick insurance should be just that if you have a catastrophic event the insurance will help you cover it and premium's are affordable. the way it is now is insurance is more of a maintenance plan to help you afford a visit to go see the doctor and the premium's reflect this for those of us who pay for it. we had a doc up here wouldn't do insurance each visit was 70 bucks he had more work than he could handle which is why he isn't around he couldn't even take a week off he really needed some extra help.

mak2

Are you saying insurance should only cover catastrophic events?
the part of this statement that isn't true is the if they get sick insurance should be just that if you have a catastrophic event the insurance will help you cover it and premium's are affordable. the way it is now is insurance is more of a maintenance plan to help you afford a visit to go see the doctor and the premium's reflect this for those of us who pay for it. we had a doc up here wouldn't do insurance each visit was 70 bucks he had more work than he could handle which is why he isn't around he couldn't even take a week off he really needed some extra help.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
by definition what does insurance on your car cover. yes I know now there is stuff like aaa for towing and tire repairs. your standard insurance only covers damage you do or encounter. insurance company's are now selling warranty type stuff too but your insurance isn't going to cover an oil change or tune up. the point I wanted to make if insurance only covered un expected stuff it could be much more affordable one of the reasons health care is so expensive is it has become expected insurance will cover every visit weather you are working up to the co pay limit or already at it. what has been crammed down our throats would have been handled better by a public health clinic and if folks opted not to wait in lines than they could buy an insurance plan that would cover them for that like your auto insurance you get what you choose to pay for not what you want at others expense. some times my writing isn't all that good I hope I was able to make my point correctly, but to me what we are all seeming to pay for is a body maintenance plan. that only makes insurance company's rich and because of the high premiums the consumer expects to use it for every visit. IE if I break a leg that would justify an insurance claim but if I go in for flue or a cough I feel the doctor should hand you a fair bill for you to pay.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you saying insurance should only cover catastrophic events?

I'd say that my insurance should cover whatever I want it to, tempered by my abiity and desire to pay for it. All that after I have done my research and negotiated with the insurance companies.

I'd say you should have the right to do the same.

mak2

Then if you crash your motorcycle and end up in the ER and you did not negotiate for that? Who should pay then?
I'd say that my insurance should cover whatever I want it to, tempered by my abiity and desire to pay for it. All that after I have done my research and negotiated with the insurance companies.

I'd say you should have the right to do the same.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I like your point jimbo the way things are now you get what the government wants you to have and if you cant afford it comes at others expense. my point I was trying to make if you cant afford it and you need the taxpayers help it should be bare bones just like your bare bones liability you get for your car if you decide you cant pay or don't want to pay for comprehensive.

mak2

Who is going to pay for your healthcare if you don't have any or not picked the care you need? And by the way, car insurance and healthcare insurance are different.
I like your point jimbo the way things are now you get what the government wants you to have and if you cant afford it comes at others expense. my point I was trying to make if you cant afford it and you need the taxpayers help it should be bare bones just like your bare bones liability you get for your car if you decide you cant pay or don't want to pay for comprehensive.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Then if you crash your motorcycle and end up in the ER and you did not negotiate for that? Who should pay then?
You're presuming (accusing?) Jimbo is ignorant, and not smart enough to insure himself against catastrophic incidents like a motorcycle accident. I don't think you're presenting a realistic scenario to counter his desire to negotiate his coverage within his financial ability, and would suggest you present another scenario to make your point. JMHO.

mak2

I accused Jimbo of nothing except not being able to predict the future. What should we, as a society do, if Jimbo guesses wrong and does not get the correct coverages on his ala carte policy?
You're presuming (accusing?) Jimbo is ignorant, and not smart enough to insure himself against catastrophic incidents like a motorcycle accident. I don't think you're presenting a realistic scenario to counter his desire to negotiate his coverage within his financial ability, and would suggest you present another scenario to make your point. JMHO.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I accused Jimbo of nothing except not being able to predict the future. What should we, as a society do, if Jimbo guesses wrong and does not get the correct coverages on his ala carte policy?
I beg to differ. The scenario you presented implied that he was not smart enough to insure himself against a catostrophic accident if he were able to negotiate on his own behalf. You said nothing about prognostication, but implied lack of knowledge to adequately insure himself, and them having his medical costs rest on someone or something else.

mak2

Just for the record, this is the kinda crap that keeps stuff stirred up and runs normal people off this forum.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Just for the record, this is the kinda crap that keeps stuff stirred up and runs normal people off this forum.
So you feel my challenging your statement is a threat to "normal" people enjoying lively political discussion? That's too bad, but it's not really a problem, since there aren't many "normal" people here on FF. :brows:

Have a nice day. :flowers:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
The ...almost total lack of NORMAL folks is what makes this place sooo inviting!!!!:smile:

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If I owned a motorcycle, and I don't, then I would have negotiated for motorcycle insurance prior to the crash possibiity. That's the point.

OTOH, if you crash your motorcycle, and you don't have insurance, why is that my responsibility?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
just for the record I have been trying to figure out how the un insured are getting over free. when I had my first child it cost me 15 grand which was a lot of bucks back then after buying formula and diapers I was unable to meet the payment obligation to the hospital. they sent me to a collection agency I paid every cent back plus interest. if you don't pay up when a bill is sent it goes to collection and them blood suckers get it out of your asse. so I don't see how the un insured is getting over. i feel it is more of making things equal for the dopers or uneducated. equal to those who have the skills or education to negotiate with an employer for a group plan and if the. hell idon't see those elected officials in Washington ditching their plan for obamacare. also once they are back in the private sector I'm willing to bet they wont sign up for obamacar either. in order to be compliant with Obama care my company's plan is in the toilet now but still cost as much.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there may be some good in it. for me and the guy I work with it has just made health care a bigger pia

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Mak2, tell our son, who works for a big corp, that it's working. As soon as obamacare was rolled out the co. dropped their health insurance.
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My Medicare Supplemental insurance increased 10% for 2015, my Part D drug plan is inreasing 14% for 2015. Both way above the posted cost of living inreases according to the Gov't as COLA was increased by 2% or so.

So maybe someone could explain to me the affordable part of the NObamaCare plan and how it pertains to the everyday citizen who was promised in 2010 that costs would actually be going down once this plan was implemented? Oh, wait a minute, turns out Gruber was the only one involved in the formation of NObamaCare that actually told the American people the truth. We really are stupid for allowing this are we not?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
So you feel my challenging your statement is a threat to "normal" people enjoying lively political discussion? That's too bad, but it's not really a problem, since there aren't many "normal" people here on FF. :brows:

Have a nice day. :flowers:

HEY!! I resemble that underhanded remark. You watch it there fella!! :yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Ya tell me about the affordable part…
It would cost half my income for the least expensive plan and if I can't afford that, the state will attach my real estate that I worked 20 years to pay off the mortage. In ten years, they will own it and I'll be homeless ? ? ! Nice plan !

Just trying to hold out till I'm 65.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

But you are wrong, Mak, I can predict a lot of my future. Here are some predictions:

I'm 76 and had a vasectomy years ago. I will never need prenatal or baby insurance.

I will never own a motorcycle. I will never need motorcycle insurance

All my kids are over 50. No chance either will be living with me until they are 26.

I will never again climb rock faces, skydive, kayak class 6 rivers, or race cars.

I will not be involved in the lumber business. I don't need high risk labor insurance,

OTOH, I am 76. I will need to cover problems associated with getting old.

I'll be able to pay for this with the money I save by not buying lumberjack insurance unless the government forces me to buy insurance for lumberjacks.

Mak, another question. I've got a friend. He has 4 homes, a couple of businesses, 3 high dollar autos. Other than liability, he has no insurance, none. He feels he is of sufficient wealth to self insure and saves millions doing so.. He's a billionaire. I feel he can self insure.

Should he be required to buy AHC? Wealth redistribution does not count. His charitable trust distributes more money in a year than you and I will make in a lifetime.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It's my opinion that Jimbo would be in the same boat as if you invested heavily in a single stock, then lost it all because you guessed wrong. But liberals feel that they have all the answers to solve the challenges of our society, and few of their solutions involve personal responsibility for one's actions. Nobody is going to bail you out if you lose your investment, especially based on warning of caveat emptor when it comes to investing. But liberals pick how individuals should be treated, thus negating personal choice in the matter of health care. I need not remind you that ObamaCare was passed by a single political party at the wishes of Dear Leader, eliminating any dialog to the contrary. It's a terrible solution to how we approach health cafe, and was a takeover of 1/6th of the economy...which was the intent all along.

What should we do? We should listen and weigh all options from all sides before trying solutions, not just take over because you can, which is what the democrat super majority did. As we saw in the midterm elections, the chickens are coming home to roost, and even the liberals are seeing the error of their ways as they are being replaced in significant numbers, and there are still people who are not, and will not be covered by healthcare...by design.

FWIW, just because the government publishes a propaganda piece saying it's working, does not mean it's based in fact. I remind you "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan...If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." This lie came from the head of the government (along with other blatant lies) that we are encouraged to trust. All we trust is that we cannot believe anything that comes from his lips or his pen. But keep believing what you choose to believe, and ignore the facts when they are proven. It's the liberal way.

jwstewar

Yeah, tell me how Obama care is working, my premiums have gone up every year and now we have to pay a nice sum of money before they will ever pay anything. And this is all because our insurance was "too good" before and the company was going to have to pay a fine for it. Yes, Obama care is working my ass!!!1