• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

4 rules of gun safety ... going to bury a friend tomorrow

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just found out that my friend, Robert Anderson, aka 'CIGAR BOB' died last week in hunting accident. He and I used to shoot together and we'd often meet at our shooting groups Meet & Shoot days. He used to show up with an igloo cooler full of cigars. Tall thin guy with dark hair, glasses, a Glock and often smoking an expensive Peterson Pipe and giving out free Romeo y Julietta cigars.

His job changed 2 years ago and has not been to a Meet & Shoot for a couple years, but I did get a chance to sit and smoke a cigar with him a couple months ago. I've known him for about 20 years. He helped me start up the "Open Carry Cigar Nights" at my cigar lounge which grew from 15-20 people at the start to standing room only with lines out the door into the parking lot.

Turned 53 years old last week. Went deer hunting with some of his buddies. One of the guys was cleaning/clearly his gun, had the barrel pointed toward Bob, shot a slug though his neck and killed him.

Tragic to lose a friend, doubly so because of the circumstances.

Wake is today in South Bend, funeral tomorrow.

RIP Bob Anderson, aka CIGAR BOB

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am sorry for the loss of your friend, especially to something as stupid as this seems to be. Cleaning /clearing the gun....

Think about it. So many times it hapens while "cleaning" a firearm. Clearing the barrel on the other hand is done when hunting.. Why anyone would have their finger on or near the trigger while doing this is clearly not thinking. I am quite sure they feel bad about what has happened. But it will not make any difference to the fallen.

Regards, Kirk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn. So sad. :( Condolences Bob.
I dare say neither family will ever be the same after an incident like this.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
That is so sad. Every cleaning/clearing "accident" I've ever heard of turned out to be preventable; someone did something
very wrong to cause the discharge. No matter how badly the one responsible might feel, a charge of negligent homicide would
not be out of line.

My deepest sympathies to you, the family, and all who knew and cared for your friend.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear of your and his family's loss, Bob!!
Any gun should ALWAYS be treated like it's loaded. Special attention needs to be paid to where the weapon is pointed even if you know it's empty, it's just a good habit to develop.
Mike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. That is tragic. Sorry for your loss.

Rule #1 I learned when handling guns was to cycle the action at least three times before putting a gun down to make sure there is nothing in the chamber then check the the action. Make sure the safety is on. And ALWAYS treat every gun as if it is loaded and ready to fire. I also never point my barrel at anything unless I intend to shoot it. If you're gonna clean your gun, make sure the thing is empty.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I started shaking when I heard the news this morning. Now I'm just angry. There was no reason for this!

Leni

No there isn't. Even I know to be sure the gun is unloaded. It's not enough to pull the clip. There can still be a round in the chamber.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
That's sad. There is a saying with power come responsibility. People need to realize that.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Open actions/chambers can't kill. Muzzle awareness is the #1 rule.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, that is so sad and unfortunately, it is so easily done.

I had an accidental discharge about 25 years ago. In my case it wasn't my finger but a button on the shooting jacket I was wearing that caused it. Fortunately the muzzle was pointing at the ground 2 feet in front of me. To this day I can still remember every millisecond of the whole incident.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I am sorry for your loss....prayers.

Never forget sometimes shit just happens sadly.