Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > DIY Forums > DIY Electrical Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 7,027 Times in 3,025 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough
Default No power in one room

For no reason I can think of I have no power in the master bedroom. So I flip the breaker to no avail. Rest of house is fine.

Before the power when off I adjusted the ceiling fan down one speed and clicked the remote for the TV and DVR boxes to come on. Then the power went off. So I've unplugged the power strip from the wall that is for the TV and DVR, and I turned off the master wall switch for the ceiling fan & light. Flip the breaker and get nothing. I thought maybe one of those two had shorted out and was causing the blip.

Breaker does not appear to be tripped. Do breakers simply go bad out of the blue? Our house was built in 98, so we are coming up on 20 years old. I've never had this happen before and looking for the best way to trouble shoot the issue.

I considered shutting off all power to house and swapping out one breaker for another 20 amp to see if that was the issue but figured I'd ask here first. I have added a whole house generator so hoping if I shut off power to the house that the generator would not automatically kick on. Never tried shutting off since it was installed a couple years ago.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor Talk + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,380 Times in 616 Posts
waybomb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: No power in one room

Pull the breaker toggle all the way off, and then all the way on. Must go all the way off to reset.

Next step, pull the cover, and check for voltage between the load side of he breaker in question and the neutral strip (where all the white or bare wires go) with a VOM or wiggy.

Don't worry about turning the main off. Just do not touch anything inside, and you will be a-ok. Wear some dry shoes and stand on cardboard. Some light gloves as well. Check your life insurance policy.

Or, have some fun. Have your wife by to observe, and stick the meter connections in, and start shaking like a leaf. Will be great.

As you unscrew the cover, use your other hand and gently apply force to keep the cover on in position. Then put down the screwdriver and screws, and with both hands, pull the cover straight off. Do the opposite going back on.

Then if that checks out ok, turn that breaker off, go to the bedroom, and pull the closest device cover (switch or duplex) to the main panel off - that's probably the shortest run for wire and where it first enters the room. Tighten every connection. Then do the same at every device. Look for burn marks or loose connections. If any of the wires in the boxes are connected with wire nuts, tighten every one,a dn tug on the wires to make sure the wire nut has grabbed them all.

Tell us what you find.

I'd rather be burning gas up at an alarming rate in Plain Vanilla.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybomb For This Useful Post:
Doc  (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,403 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

I've had something similar happen before. Turned out to be the wires going in to the breaker were loose

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
Doc  (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 PM

OhioTC18 is on a distinguished road

Doc, it could be a loose connection at the breaker or at any one the outlets or switches. I would pull out the first outlet and check for a loose connection, then go to the next. If the wires are "quick wired" into the back of the outlet you might find the problem there.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,164 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18 View Post
Doc, it could be a loose connection at the breaker or at any one the outlets or switches. I would pull out the first outlet and check for a loose connection, then go to the next. If the wires are "quick wired" into the back of the outlet you might find the problem there.
Yes, a good many "quick Wires" melt when overloaded. Using a space heater would do it
Quickwire is a receptacle that has the wires stuck into holes in the back, This makes a very small connection for power. Long term use and the heat at that small contact point melts the copper.
I never wire that method. Always loop the screws on the side.
Black to Brass white to silver, ground to green.

It most often happens with the first duplex in the chain,* but it could be any one of them. Also, if any circuits are in the attic you may have a fried mouse or squirrel up there. Or, just a loose connection in a junction box.

*Having said all that, look for simple. Before you tear into things be sure the circuit doesn't have a GFI that is tripped. I install these in the first duplex on virtually every circuit in my construction. A small yellow light on a receptacle will indicate a momentary ground contact. Press the reset.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Forum Admin

Thanks all. Finally got around to checking this. Wife is tired of extensiuon cord from other room ran to the bedroom.
At breaker box all seems ok. Tested power from set screw on breaker to ground strip in the box and all is a-ok.

Checked first and 2nd receptacle and both are tight under screws, not quick wired thank goodness. Checked wire nuts and all were tight.

How can I tell if the breaker is bad? Close to the first receptacle I have a light switch connected to a ceiling fan / light ....I suppose the problem could be at either of those also?

I'm hoping the breaker is bad since it does not reset but when on I have no power in the bedroom. If I have to keep checking outlets next it's taking down the king size monster bed to get to the outlet way behind it....then I'd have to move a huge dresser. Hoping not to have to go there.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Disconnect the wire at the breaker. Then trip the breaker.
If it resets with no load, change the breaker.
If it does not, then I'd guess you have a short somewhere.
Hang any pictures lately?

Old 01-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thanks all. Finally got around to checking this. Wife is tired of extensiuon cord from other room ran to the bedroom.
At breaker box all seems ok. Tested power from set screw on breaker to ground strip in the box and all is a-ok.

Checked first and 2nd receptacle and both are tight under screws, not quick wired thank goodness. Checked wire nuts and all were tight.

How can I tell if the breaker is bad? Close to the first receptacle I have a light switch connected to a ceiling fan / light ....I suppose the problem could be at either of those also?

I'm hoping the breaker is bad since it does not reset but when on I have no power in the bedroom. If I have to keep checking outlets next it's taking down the king size monster bed to get to the outlet way behind it....then I'd have to move a huge dresser. Hoping not to have to go there.
Sounds more and more like a faulty or burnt breaker. If you can test power then disconnect the black wire from the circuit at the breaker. then try turning it on. from the brass screw(where the black wire was connected test to neutral. Then test to ground from the brass terminal You should read 110 volts AC.

If you don't et voltage change out the breaker. Eazy Peezy.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Ford4Thought

Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,218 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Hard as hell to trouble shoot this without at least a set of voltage testers. That way right off the bat you can determine if you have power on the load side of that single pole breaker.

Go to your local electrical supply house and get one of these. They are about 20 bucks. Every home owner should have one. Just touch the tip and a wire or screw and it will beep if there is power.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-N...rds=tic+tester
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2017-01-09 15.02.47.png (108.8 KB, 56 views)
FrancSevin (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Bronze Member

jimbo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

The simplest way to check the breaker is to pull two and switch them.

When I have a problem like this I start at the outlet furthest away and work backward toward the source rather than start at the box and work the other way.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Hard as hell to trouble shoot this without at least a set of voltage testers. That way right off the bat you can determine if you have power on the load side of that single pole breaker.

Go to your local electrical supply house and get one of these. They are about 20 bucks. Every home owner should have one. Just touch the tip and a wire or screw and it will beep if there is power.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-N...rds=tic+tester
I prefer a Wiggy. It tells you the voltage. Also useful to check continuity. No settings just probe and read.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

A wiggy is a nice device since it has a solenoid in it that vibrates when voltage is present, so you do not necessarily need to look at it. Especially usefully when ringing out a live 480vac circuit and you want to keep your eyes on your hands.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 PM

A non-contact voltage tester is useful, but not inside a panel. They will sense voltage 2-3" away so it's hard to tell if you picking up the beep from the suspect breaker or the one next to it.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybomb View Post
Disconnect the wire at the breaker. Then trip the breaker.
If it resets with no load, change the breaker.
If it does not, then I'd guess you have a short somewhere.
Hang any pictures lately?
No, we didn't hang any pictures anywhere close to that room lately.

But I was trying to say the breaker does not 'break' with this problem. I can turn it off, and back on easy enough but it never resets to off on it's own.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
A non-contact voltage tester is useful, but not inside a panel. They will sense voltage 2-3" away so it's hard to tell if you picking up the beep from the suspect breaker or the one next to it.
I don't have one of those but it would be handy to pick up. I have a little tester with a light that is close to my hand so very easy to watch hands and see the light.

But since the breaker is not breaking if a short were at the end of the chain and the light switch is off I should see power in the closest outlet when I have the breaker set to on, shouldn't I? I am keeping it shut off unless I am testing.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
No, we didn't hang any pictures anywhere close to that room lately.

But I was trying to say the breaker does not 'break' with this problem. I can turn it off, and back on easy enough but it never resets to off on it's own.
So you're saying the breaker does not trip off (short circuit) when you turn it back on?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
So you're saying the breaker does not trip off (short circuit) when you turn it back on?
Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. lol it didn't trip when power went out and does not trip when I turn it off and then back on.
I'll try swapping breakers tomorrow to see if it's a bad breaker. Hoping that is it.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,400 Posts
MrLiberty is on a distinguished road

call an electrician......

What we tolerate today our children will embrace tomorrow
Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
call an electrician......
I tried that also ....tried 2 local ones. Neither even bothered to call back.

Switched the breaker with another 20amp one. Both breakers work dang it. So much for an easy solution. Neither breaker trips when power is turned on to the no power room. But ... the end of the wire in the breaker that was going to the bedroom was dark, not near as shinny as the wire from the breaker I switched it with.

Calling an electrician. Not comfortable with whatever the hell is going on. Any of you guys make house calls?

Other Fun Forums:

The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
MrLiberty (01-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Large Member

Big Dog has a spectacular aura aboutBig Dog has a spectacular aura about

Did you hit all outlets on the circuit with a fluke meter?

"No law ever prevented a crime" ...........

The MLR (Men's Locker Room) is now open! PM Big Dog for access ....