• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone using Open Office?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Win7 laptop that does not have MSOffice on it. I'm not paying the ransom that MS wants for it. Is Apache Open Office worth downloading? If anyone is using it, are there any limitations or issues? I really just need the word processor and the spreadsheet. No need for the database or power point.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a Win7 laptop that does not have MSOffice on it. I'm not paying the ransom that MS wants for it. Is Apache Open Office worth downloading? If anyone is using it, are there any limitations or issues? I really just need the word processor and the spreadsheet. No need for the database or power point.

I've used it for about 6 years now on both the mac and the Win10 machines. Like you never use database or power point.

For home use and light business it works fine, it is free and just as easy to use as Office.

Just remember to change your settings so everything is saved as a .doc or .xls file. The default .odt gives people the fritz when you send them something.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I use it on all my machines. We even use it at the church for our overhead displays when we're playing the music. Normally three of us playing guitar. All 5 singing and one operating the overhead. I prefer it over Microsoft.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just today my subscription for MS Office expired. I downloaded Apache Open Office today and it looks like it will do what I need. I've used Open Office before. This is the first download of it where it was also labeled with Apache.

The MS Office subscription came free with McAfee that I bought a year ago. I tried it and like the product but see no sense in paying $99 a year, every year for the use of the product. Open Office worked for me years ago, I'm sure it will be good for all I need and more. The interface looked much like MS.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use Open Office and have for years. Currently on 10, also on earlier versions. Works just fine.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Libre Office is more current and has better support:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

LibreOffice is the most actively developed[9] free and open source office suite, a project of The Document Foundation. It was forked from OpenOffice.org in 2010, which was an open-sourced version of the earlier StarOffice. The LibreOffice suite comprises programs for word processing, the creation and editing of spreadsheets, slideshows, diagrams and drawings, working with databases, and composing mathematical formulae. It is available in 110 languages.[7]