Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > DIY Forums > DIY Electrical Forum

Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,164 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wiring a new bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18 View Post
Doc,
Here's what the code says, if you decide to follow it. You might be in an area that does not adopt that.

The circuit feeding the bathroom receptacle(s) must be 20A
The circuit can be used to feed receptacles in another bathroom in the house
The circuit can be used to feed other equipment in that bathroom but can then go no where else

My personal choice is having the receptacle(s) on a different circuit than the lighting. If it trips while I'm in a steamy shower, I still have lights. I also like to have each bathroom receptacle on a separate circuit. They are now selling 1800 watt hair dryers. That's 15 friggin' amps all by it self. Two bathrooms on the same circuit and two hair dryers just ain't gonna work.
Thanks, So far then, I'm good.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice
Talking Re: Wiring a new bathroom

Drive in a 16 penny nail and hang up one of those battery powered touch lights. No code, no problem. Works for the Amish.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 7,028 Times in 3,026 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTC18 View Post
Doc,
Here's what the code says, if you decide to follow it. You might be in an area that does not adopt that.

The circuit feeding the bathroom receptacle(s) must be 20A
The circuit can be used to feed receptacles in another bathroom in the house
The circuit can be used to feed other equipment in that bathroom but can then go no where else

My personal choice is having the receptacle(s) on a different circuit than the lighting. If it trips while I'm in a steamy shower, I still have lights. I also like to have each bathroom receptacle on a separate circuit. They are now selling 1800 watt hair dryers. That's 15 friggin' amps all by it self. Two bathrooms on the same circuit and two hair dryers just ain't gonna work.
Thanks Jerry.
I will have two circuits dedicated to this new bath room. When we had this house built we requested that the builder rough in the downstairs bath. At that time I was mainly concerned with the plumbing for this bathroom. When starting the framing for this project I was pleasantly surprised to find two dedicated circuits right there ready to be tapped into. One will be for lights and one for the receptacles.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor Talk + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Ford4Thought

Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,219 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

What Jerry said. All good advice there. More importantly, it is what the code says and if your area has adopted it, then it must be followed.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Ford4Thought

Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,219 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thanks Jerry.
I will have two circuits dedicated to this new bath room. When we had this house built we requested that the builder rough in the downstairs bath. At that time I was mainly concerned with the plumbing for this bathroom. When starting the framing for this project I was pleasantly surprised to find two dedicated circuits right there ready to be tapped into. One will be for lights and one for the receptacles.
It's not everyday one gets pleasantly surprised by contractors. Good for you.