• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New ST4 owner

mtmogs

Greetings All,

Here's a pic of my new snow-trac at the beginning of it's journey today from near Leavenworth, WA to it's new home near West Glacier, MT.

It's a '75 ex British military unit. Kris did a nice job on this machine w/a fresh engine rebuild, new carb, and 24v-12v ignition conversion. Nice guy. Also got to see his earlier '71(?) snow trac w/custom canvas top.

More pics to follow once I get out and start using it!

Attachments

• RIMG0073_filtered.jpg
    RIMG0073_filtered.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 327

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kris and I traded a couple emails while you were considering buying his Snow Trac. I'm glad it all worked out for both of you. That sure sounds like a good unit, I like some parts of the military configuration like the fuel tank mounted outside the cabin on the drivers side storage rail. To me that is a great position for mounting the tank and at some future point I may re-position mine.

If you get a chance someday, it would be great to get some detailed photos of how the fuel line is run from the tank to through the cabin wall. I'm actually curious if they use a different tank on the military units too. Several folks have repositioned their fuel tanks and many more are probably very curious.

I also see you have the military hitch on the front, if you could snap some photos of that and provide some measurements of it so others can duplicate it that would be appreciated. I know Ice Queen in Wales, UK is looking to convert her Utility Company ST4 into a Military configuration so she really needs the hitch information.

mtmogs

I spent a little bit of time today tooling around the back forty in the ST4. It's a blast! I'm starting to get a handle on the different steering characteristics of different surfaces, from powder to ice. I've NOT quite got the handle on NOT stepping on the gas and brake, or clutch and brake at the same time. Those pedals are crammed into a small space. Are Swede's known for their small feet?

Bob, I've attached a few photos and a CAD model of the front hitch. It's not much more than a length of pipe welded to a plate and skewered with a linch pin. I've got the dimensions for the hitch as well (guaranteed to be accurate to within +/- 5"!) and will post them in the near future.

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 292
  • RIMG00096.jpg
    RIMG00096.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 289
  • RIMG00107.jpg
    RIMG00107.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 284

mtmogs

Here are a few shots of the external gas tank, and of where the fuel line enters the engine compartment. The entrance is not too sexy. Just looks like a hole in the sheet metal lined with a rubber bushing. Sorry for the low light shot there.

Attachments

• RIMG00023.jpg
    RIMG00023.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 289
  • RIMG00034.jpg
    RIMG00034.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 283
  • RIMG00055.jpg
    RIMG00055.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 288

mtmogs

Just a few more shots taken at dusk . . .

Attachments

• RIMG00012.jpg
    RIMG00012.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 278
  • RIMG00118.jpg
    RIMG00118.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 283

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

mtmogs

I'll post more photos from our first "expedition" in a week or so.

The red box is indeed the battery box. My guess is that it was placed outboard to accomodate the passenger-side pedestal seat like the driver has.

It's pretty cool having the helicopter loops. I have no immediate plans for using them as such! Kris did mention that they come in handy for hoisting the body after dropping the engine, etc. Heck, maybe I'll build a custom flat deck for the unimog, get a knuckleboom crane, and then just lift the snow-trac on and off. We don't need no stinkin' ramps!

B_Skurka said:
Thanks for the photos!!!

What is the red box on the front right side? Was the battery repositioned into that box? Or is it a storage box?

I see you have the helicopter carry loops on your Snow Trac. Any thoughts of using those?

mtmogs

Snowcat Operations said:
Can you post some picks of the cab? That is pretty cool. I believe Bill at snowtrans made those or something simular.

Will do. Yes, Bill Guthrie either made the cab or had it made. First rate job, right down to the detail of the drip edges.

The only trip pics I have are posted on another thread (http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=80563). I'll put some more up after the next trip, maybe a video.