• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Calling Tucker Experts! Need help identifying my Cat for sale

heavydsparks

I purchased this Tucker during the summer from an auction. It came out of Reno. Looks like the serial number plate was removed by the previous owner when they painted it. I believe it is an early 70's 442 but cannot confirm. It has a GM 250 straight 6 engine with 4 speed trans.

The tracks seem to have been replaced because they seem newer than the cat. They are also wider than any other Tucker tracks I have seen (although my experience is fairly limited).

Here are some specs on it:

Max Length from end to end of tracks- 215"
Max width- 111"
Max height to highest point -96"

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. I have had it up to my cabin in the Farmington Utah mountains multiple times, runs like a top and floats on the powder. Has around 1100 hours on it.

I am either going to sell it or I will be converting it to a much more family/passenger friendly Cat...just don't want to bastardize if someone else is interested in it as-is. Located in Salt Lake City and I can help arrange shipping anywhere. Asking $12,000 OBO.

Here is a walk around video on youtube: http://youtu.be/rGtdoE1UyF0

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/picture.php?albumid=323&pictureid=2020

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that one has been around here before I believe the previous owner lives in Fairbanks now and has started collecting nodwells. the tracks are an aftermarket conversion and look pretty cool on that machine if I were to get tucker feaver that one might be on my list of have to have toys.

heavydsparks

Thank you for the info, Don. That makes more sense about the tracks.

If you happen to stumble across any old threads regarding this Cat, please post up the link. I've tried a search with no results.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Date of manufacture in the early 70's is probably spot on ('68-'73?) and definitely a 442 upper. Running gear is the big question mark. I've seen this one several times over the years and it's the only one out there (documented anyway). This could be one of Tuckers first (the first?) units with all rubber running gear. Or a test-bed for the wide track 1600 series to follow. Or, it could just be a more recent homemade set-up to replace a steel pontoon rig with a version of the newer rubber tracks. Regardless, it appears that if it wasn't factory, it was very well done given how long it's been around. Tough to tell without that ID plate, or back tracking thru the previous owners. (If you would, please take some pics of the running gear since it's never been posted in detail)

With that being said, I don't know what you get for average snow at your camp, but if it's deep, you will be hard pressed to beat this. That is a HUGE contact patch with a very low psi. You would have plenty of leeway for adding on a passenger compartment. Chop the back wall off, move the fuel tank to the outside and build a passenger compartment that can meet your needs of getting people, gear, food & beer/wine to your camp! You already own it, now make it functional for you.

That's what I'm going to do. While I can keep myself good company, it's a lot better cruising with friends!

Edit: posting was jammed up and came up late. Looks like Don had the answer to the running gear. Still would like to see them in detail. And I believe the only time it was on here before is here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=68429&highlight=float+on+water

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I did a quick search but found nothing I have seen these conversions posted several times in the past I believe they were fabricated up in main. they look well engineered
this has been the only ready to run example I have seen my mouth waters every time I see it

teamster

That machine was owned by hwy20, he responded to a post about some seats for sale. He called it a X between pontoons & tracks. Someone smarter that me can probably track him down.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Check the serial on the transmission and motor. Might get you a better idea
If year. Same grill as my 68

I believe your Tucker has a track conversion that was made by a company long gone called "Sierra" or "Sierra Conversions". I think Davenet is spot on with model and possible year range. I might be able dig up an old ad for the company in my stash of old Ski Area Management magazines from the early to mid seventies.

Cool rig - the tracks look good on her!

Aha! I found the ad.

The company was called "Sierra Engineering" located in Sparks, Nevada. They advertised the conversion at $5,483 plus freight in the spring of 1973. They stated the kit would fit any Sno-Cat with a 3/4 ton axle and the tracks were 36" wide for an overall machine width of 9'-3".
I need to fire up my scanner and post a copy of the ad - it's pretty cool with pictures of a converted 442 in their yard.

heavydsparks

Wow! You guys are incredible. The amount of knowledge and information that is available in this community is astounding. Thank you very much.

The machine runs does amazing in deeper snow but the larger tracks are definitely a workout for the tiny GM 250 engine. Pretty much impractical to transport me and my family. Having said that, I have decided to move forward with a conversion. Tucker purists may hate me for it but I ask that everyone keep an open mind. I will be starting a new thread and will provide you all with the link for anyone that is interested.

teamster

I wouldn't be to concerned about others "in this case". Some of us have never left anything alone that we've ever bought. We are always trying to improve it, even if only in our own minds. Take in consideration everything you need & have at it, as long as the machine will take the power or whatever. Good luck.:clap:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
its a cool rig just replace the chevy motor with a 12 valve cummins from a pick up and build the cab to suite your needs you will have one hellof a machine.

jp11

I agree. The tracks on these things represent what's 'different' about them all. The motors are hardly even thought about. I would think it 10 times easier to motor swap than take off a perfectly good set of tracks.

That being said.. I'd make sure I didn't put too much motor in. Stick with something close in HP to what the original driveline had for HP used with it.

JP

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My recommendation is to go with both Don and JP suggestion. four cyl. Cummins. Less weight and less torque to tear stuff up. I put a four cyl Isuzu in a 443 thirty five years ago and have had no failures in any of the drive train or problems with frame breakage. Cummins sold these engines before they had their own. I added a turbo to normalize it at altitude and have been most satisfied with this unit. Very easy on fuel budget.

Attachments

• DSCN1661.jpg
    DSCN1661.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 351