• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Umberto CZing in...

Umberto

I have a Browning over and under skeet made in Belgium. The man who owned it lived at the beach and kept it in a closet. When he passed his son brought it to my husband. It was a mess but I could hold it steady. At 6' with my long arms most rifles are too heavy for me. I talked him into buying it for me. We took it to a hobby gunsmith to see what he could do. Did not recognise the gun when he gave it back to us. He charged only $20 because he loved working on a magnificent old piece.

Sweet! I'll relate the story of my 26" but not tonight. I love guns with a story behind them.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Browning over and under skeet made in Belgium. The man who owned it lived at the beach and kept it in a closet. When he passed his son brought it to my husband. It was a mess but I could hold it steady. At 6' with my long arms most rifles are too heavy for me. I talked him into buying it for me. We took it to a hobby gunsmith to see what he could do. Did not recognise the gun when he gave it back to us. He charged only $20 because he loved working on a magnificent old piece.
Me too. But when I said that to her, she punched me. Should I have chosen other words??:brows:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hows about a pic of it Leni?

Umberto

Back in the 60's a lumber CEO from Morton, WA went to Scotland for the Glorious 13th (?) driven grouse shoot. He took two Model 12's with him which was not kosher. Only double guns were allowed so they took him down to the local gun store and he bought a pair B guns. When he passed his wife took took his guns to Chet Paulson's to be sold. My friend, Cook, dad heard these guns were there and bought them. He gave one to his son and a few years ago sold this one. He'd taken it to a gun shop in Yakima and had it back bored and chamber's lengthened to 3". I've never shot a 3" shell in it though, never felt the need for pheasants. It's one of the easies shotguns to shoot that I've ever owned. I took it to South Dakota a few years ago and did well. It's a great skeet gun and the Mod. barrel smokes them.

DSCN1474.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice story and good looking gun. It brought back memories too. To let you know how some things stay the same, when I used to go bird hunting in Scotland in the late 70's and 80's the same taboos regarding types of guns were still in place. Even an O/U was slightly looked down on as being acceptable but "not quite proper".

Umberto

Nice story and good looking gun. It brought back memories too. To let you know how some things stay the same, when I used to go bird hunting in Scotland in the late 70's and 80's the same taboos regarding types of guns were still in place. Even an O/U was slightly looked down on as being acceptable but "not quite proper".

Yup, O/U guns are common for English driven bird shoots now. A proper S/S has priced it's self out of the reach of most common shooters. Even Spanish and Italian Best Guns are quite pricey.

Umberto

I often wonder who folks are - this is me. I used to hunt MD and DE for ducks and geese till the deer hunters took over my buds waterfowl club. We shot these geese at Aunt Mary's Farm not too far from Dover Downs. The one I'm holding up gave me a run across the muddy corn and dinged it in the head just as it got to a creek. A dog would have been nice, you bet. That was the last big run I got before I got my knee replaced.

525191477WPSZQx_ph.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Umberto

My brother was a bush pilot in Alaska and owned a flying service called Bush Air out of Merrill Field. I used to go up every year and we'd fly to several rivers, land on the beaches of Cook Inlet and fish for silvers, chums, and dollies. He passed away in 2008 while I was on an antelope trip to WY. Den said he'd wait for me to get back but He had other plans.

The other guy in the picture is Vik, executive chef at the Anchorage Sheraton at the time, and a great guy.

JohnampVik.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Always wanted to get to Alaska. Had a trip planned a couple years ago but then had to cancel out because my sister announced she was getting married and I went there (England) instead.

Umberto

I drove up in 09 to scatter his ashes, the run was poor so never went fishing. I drove by myself and pushed it but next time will take a whole summer and have some fish shipped home. Going to Alaska is like going to Euro, you can't see everything in 2 weeks let alone a summer. I want to drive to Prudho Bay and fish along the way.

England and Scotland are on my bucket list.

Umberto

This is a nice coho I got on Polly Creek. It's across the inlet from the Kenai and known for razor clams in the inlet.

alaska1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]