• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I hate TV remote controls and TV's

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
that have a 5 second delay every time you change the channel. If slows down the process of getting through the line up :hammer::hammer::hammer:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never had that problem either even with a universal remote including the one that comes with Directv boxes. I suggest you check the batteries in it they might be getting ready for replacement.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
right, batteries were my first thought. but with a universal, if its not on the exact frequency as the tv, it can cause that issue, i believe. it could be slightly off, and still work the TV, ive noticed

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Two of my newer TV's do the same thing. It's seems worse if I'm surfer the HD channels.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
It's not your remote or the TV. It's the DVR. When you use a DVR, you are always 5 seconds (or so) behind "live" TV. This is what allows you to pause what you are watching, and also enables error correction and data decompression in the signal stream.

Try using the channel guide instead of "surfing"

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had the surround sound system in our living room die a sad death, I replaced it with the same brand as my TV and my BluRay player. Now its much easier to control everything as the surround sound remote powers all those devices and controls each of them. As things are replaced I tend to gravitate toward making all the components 1 brand (don't really care which brand so long as all are the same) and it seems to make life much simpler.

The other option is the HARMONY brand remote. They are awesome. Takes forever to program them, literally a pain to program but once its done they are the best remotes I've ever found and work the whole system without having to do anything other than press 1 command and it automatically adjusts everything to accomodate the new function command you press. So if you want to play a BluRay disc you simply press 1 button that says Watch Disc and it will turn on the BluRay player, turn on the surround sound, set the surround sound to BluRay, turn on the TV set, set the TV input to your disc player, even set the volume and, if you have it hooked up, can even dim the lights in your room.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am in a hotel with just I am sure cable. The channel switches immediately and shows the new TV channel number but it just sits black for a while. I can't complain it is a lot more channels than I have at home.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am in a hotel with just I am sure cable. The channel switches immediately and shows the new TV channel number but it just sits black for a while. I can't complain it is a lot more channels than I have at home.

Yup, that is exactly what I am talking about. I'm sure it's digital.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Ever thought about changing hotels ? might be easier then changin channels :yankchain::hide::smile:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
My DirecTV does the same thing. Seems like the newer the system, the longer the delay.

I guess there is a buffer for the streaming data to decode or some such nonsense.