• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker track rollers needed

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, anyone have some useable 1" rollers they want to sell I have some to replace. Thanks Marty

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
hey, check out the 542 restoration thread, davenet posted a photo of the flat deck tucker, and in a compartment in the coffin has what looks to be new rollers, that may be a source for your roller needs

are you looking for 10.00 or 80.00 dollar rollers or something in between, there was a guy out of grass valley ca selling brand new rollers he was building for about $80.00?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
hey, check out the 542 restoration thread, davenet posted a photo of the flat deck tucker, and in a compartment in the coffin has what looks to be new rollers, that may be a source for your roller needs

are you looking for 10.00 or 80.00 dollar rollers or something in between, there was a guy out of grass valley ca selling brand new rollers he was building for about $80.00?

I could use about 20 rollers about 10 need to be changed and 10 for spares, the problem ones have the flange worn badly but otherwise ok. is there a fix for that or are they junk?

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 359

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
well you have more than a worn flange issue, the end cap are gone also, thus, when you grease them, the grease just comes out the other end and water gets in and then you have a RUST issue, looks like the grousers may have issues also.

so, 10 dollar or 80 dollar roller?

fyi, no good fix, just paper weights

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
well you have more than a worn flange issue, the end cap are gone also, thus, when you grease them, the grease just comes out the other end and water gets in and then you have a RUST issue, looks like the grousers may have issues also.

thats one I changed already. What does 10.00 roller look like? Between 0-100 0 being like the roller in the picture and 100 like new. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

what do you see wrong with the grousers, I'm a Tucker newbe but a quick study. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
what do you see wrong with the grousers, I'm a Tucker newbe but a quick study. Marty

At this point I would like some cheaper rollers that will work but if thats a pipe dream I will have to do what ever. Marty

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thats one I changed already. What does 10.00 roller look like? Between 0-100 0 being like the roller in the picture and 100 like new. Marty

yes, the roller in your photo is a 10 dollar one,

as a newbie, we can help with understanding the complex issues of the tucker tracks, the grouser looks like it has been welded on, first issue, the grouser is hardened to Rockwell 44 and welding destroys this and next why was it welded on?, the link rollers/spacer that go through the spool need to turn freely, if you can, post more pics of the tracks and rollers. see what advice can be offered,

at one time Clyde, "the tucker man" at the factory had new rollers for sale that they were having made, think they would be good enough to get you on the snow, if I remember they were about 45 bucks each, and if he tries to buy your machine, get other offers first...before you accept.

fyi, I have know of more than one tucker being purchased just for the rollers.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
yes, the roller in your photo is a 10 dollar one,

as a newbie, we can help with understanding the complex issues of the tucker tracks, the grouser looks like it has been welded on, first issue, the grouser is hardened to Rockwell 44 and welding destroys this and next why was it welded on?, the link rollers/spacer that go through the spool need to turn freely, if you can, post more pics of the tracks and rollers. see what advice can be offered,

at one time Clyde, "the tucker man" at the factory had new rollers for sale that they were having made, think they would be good enough to get you on the snow, if I remember they were about 45 bucks each, and if he tries to buy your machine, get other offers first...before you accept.

fyi, I have know of more than one tucker being purchased just for the rollers.

I think the welding on the grousers is ok, someone in the past built it up for wear or to make them more aggressive, I have had the links apart and they still fit snugly without any ware shoulder where the drive roller rotates. I will give Clyde a call, this old Tucker came from Tucker in the recent years as a project from the guy I got it from not running, he got it running and made some improvements now its my turn. I will be using it for cabin transportation give or take 60 miles a year 10 miles at a time. Thanks for the input and the help with the rollers it is much appreciated. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 295

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I think the welding on the grousers is ok, someone in the past built it up for wear or to make them more aggressive, I have had the links apart and they still fit snugly without any ware shoulder where the drive roller rotates. I will give Clyde a call, this old Tucker came from Tucker in the recent years as a project from the guy I got it from not running, he got it running and made some improvements now its my turn. I will be using it for cabin transportation give or take 60 miles a year 10 miles at a time. Thanks for the input and the help with the rollers it is much appreciated. Marty

Called Clyde, got rollers and he didn't even try to buy it. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
good and good, glad you the rollers, does that mean you are good to go, are we going to see you at a jamboree and or???

I think that would be a lot of fun but its hard for me to plan that far in the future right now, the season for the type of work I do is ramping up and I am a slave to it. Have to wait and see. I will read the posts on it again. Marty

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Almost all of mine have weld on additions as well. Any non-snow contact will eventually wear the grousers flat. A couple have the wedge cuts like yours (my welds are amazing given when it was done, and the metal is definitely harder than yours!) while the other pair have a rectangular 'tab' welded on to create the same high point. That is almost a necessity for east coast Tuckers needing to stay planted on ice.

The wear on the links won't occur where the drive roller rotates (the only time it has pressure is the 8-10" while in contact with the drive sprocket). The issue is everywhere else . . .

Attachments

• DSC_0318.JPG
    DSC_0318.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 261

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Almost all of mine have weld on additions as well. Any non-snow contact will eventually wear the grousers flat. A couple have the wedge cuts like yours (my welds are amazing given when it was done, and the metal is definitely harder than yours!) while the other pair have a rectangular 'tab' welded on to create the same high point. That is almost a necessity for east coast Tuckers needing to stay planted on ice.

The wear on the links won't occur where the drive roller rotates (the only time it has pressure is the 8-10" while in contact with the drive sprocket). The issue is everywhere else . . .

you can use well worn parts, till they break when you are 5 miles in the back country and have to walk out, then, have to wait for summer to recover your machine. all caused by using well worn parts...

there are so many stresses at work with a tucker...

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

The links that I have pulled on mine fit the chain snugly and do not have the ware that is shown in your picture. I was thinking about lubing them with graphite to give them some lube without grease as I think grease would pick up dirt and be abrasive? Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
you can use well worn parts, till they break when you are 5 miles in the back country and have to walk out, then, have to wait for summer to recover your machine. all caused by using well worn parts...

there are so many stresses at work with a tucker...

10 minutes after you buy anything its used but used up is another thing. I am an industrial general contractor specializing in food processing equipment ( mostly conveyors) a lot of what I already deal with can be applied to the tracks. I checked all of the track rails and found that they were adjusted like a parallagram . I straightened all of that out and then set tension on the tracks measuring from a common point. On a conveyor when things are out of square the belt or chain doesn't track right and I am sure that is why the roller flanges on the one pontoon were worn so badly and all on the same side as the adjustment was steering the track and the rollers were fighting to keep the track on. Marty

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
10 minutes after you buy anything its used but used up is another thing. I am an industrial general contractor specializing in food processing equipment ( mostly conveyors) a lot of what I already deal with can be applied to the tracks. I checked all of the track rails and found that they were adjusted like a parallagram . I straightened all of that out and then set tension on the tracks measuring from a common point. On a conveyor when things are out of square the belt or chain doesn't track right and I am sure that is why the roller flanges on the one pontoon were worn so badly and all on the same side as the adjustment was steering the track and the rollers were fighting to keep the track on. Marty

excellent, pretty sure you got everything covered.......

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
The links that I have pulled on mine fit the chain snugly and do not have the ware that is shown in your picture. I was thinking about lubing them with graphite to give them some lube without grease as I think grease would pick up dirt and be abrasive? Marty

originally, the links were assembled with no lube of any kind,

you are right about grease and dirt, even with graphite, the link and grouser will still wear, they both are hardened to Rockwell 44

starting with cleaned link shafts and grousers holes for the links, that will do a lot to help them survive more than just about anything