Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Snow Trac ST4, Kristi, Thiokol/LMC, Tucker, Bombardier & Other Snowcat Discussions > Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum

Snowcat History, Articles, Manuals, Brochures & Recollections Forum Publications, specifications, production information for snow cats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Bronze Member

Lyndon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thiokol - DMC - LMC Company History

I Skiied Brodie ALOT! Broke a Ski There! Some buddies of mine had a band that played at the lodge there. On one of the ocassions that they were playing there I met the owner, sitting at the Bar. He previously had owned a larger Ski area in Vermont(Mt. Snow). He was supposed to have developed the "Snow Fan", and held various patents on what is the current technology in Snow Making. When I met him he was leasing out several units to the Olympics in Japan. His Snow maker required only one hose instead of 2, and had a siginificantly higher delivery rate. This design soon replaced snow makers all over the world. Brodie's LOGO SKI PIN was a little Snoopy Dog on Skiis. And Yes, on St. Patti's day they did dye the snow green a few years. This was quite a nice Ski Area in it's 'hay-day'. I don't remember them ever having Snow Trac's. Mt Snow, Haystack, Okemo, Killington, Stowe, and Mt. Ascutney Did have Snow Trac's and Snow Masters, but only briefly. They wern't used much for grooming though. They were used by the ski patrol and by the employees to take food and drinks to the lodges and restraunts on top of the mountain. Generally there was one guy driving, and the other was hanging out the back with the door open. Probably Noise and Fumes drove the passenger out. After a big snow storm the best place to ski was right in the tracks left by the machines. My lifelong ski partner, Dave, was also a VW enthusiasts, and we noted when they went from the 2 belt tracks, to the 3 belt, then the 4 belt and finally the 5 belt. Back in those days it was 'Normal' to see the snow cats on the slopes. Somewhere along in the mid 70's they must have had a series of accidents, as practally all of the ski area's in Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass, and NY State, resorted to running the groomers at night, and one didn't see them "on the Slopes" anymore. If I still lived in Mass, I'd miss Brodie.