• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why am I liking this and the results aren't surprising to me. I'm sure that those who don't endorse it all have well behaved children......... :whistling:

Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

TEMPLE, TEX. -- In an era when students talk back to teachers, skip class and wear ever-more-risque clothing to school, one central Texas city has hit upon a deceptively simple solution: Bring back the paddle.

Most school districts across the country banned paddling of students long ago. Texas sat that trend out. Nearly a quarter of the estimated 225,000 students who received corporal punishment nationwide in 2006, the latest figures available, were from the Lone Star State.

But even by Texas standards, Temple is unusual. The city, a compact railroad hub of 60,000 people, banned the practice and then revived it at the demand of parents who longed for the orderly schools of yesteryear. Without paddling, "there were no consequences for kids," said Steve Wright, who runs a construction business and is Temple's school board president.

Since paddling was brought back to the city's 14 schools by a unanimous board vote in May, behavior at Temple's single high school has changed dramatically, Wright said, even though only one student in the school system has been paddled.

"The discipline problem is much better than it's been in years," Wright said, something he attributed to the new punishment and to other discipline programs schools are trying. Residents of the city's comfortable homes, most of which sport neighborly, worn chairs out front, praise the change.
"There are times when maybe a good crack might not be a bad idea," said Robert Pippin, a custom home builder who sports a goatee and cowboy boots. His son graduated from Temple schools several years ago.

Corporal punishment remains legal in 20 states, mostly in the South, but its use is diminishing. Ohio ended it last year, and a movement for a federal ban is afoot. A House subcommittee held a hearing on the practice Thursday, and its chairman, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), is gearing up for a push to end the practice once and for all. She plans to introduce legislation within weeks.

"When you look that the federal government has outlawed physical punishment in prisons, I think the time has come that we should do it in schools," she said.

A joint American Civil Liberties Union-Human Rights Watch report last year found that students with disabilities were disproportionately subjected to corporal punishment, sometimes in direct response to behavioral problems that were a result of their disabilities. Many educators and psychologists say that positive tools, such as giving praise for good behavior and withholding it for bad, are far more effective for discouraging misbehavior.

Those techniques "encourage them to behave well in the future," said report author Alice Farmer. Paddling "makes students lose respect for their teachers."

Rules about paddling vary from district to district, but typically only administrators, not teachers, can mete out the punishment, which is done in private. Usually, a long, flat wooden paddle is used to give as many as three blows across the student's clothed rear end, although Farmer found students who had been hit many more times. Boys are overwhelmingly the target.

Not everybody in Texas is gung-ho about paddling. The practice has been banned in the state's big cities, and its use varies from campus to campus in districts that allow it.

In Alvin, a formerly agricultural city of 23,000 that has been swallowed by Houston's suburbs in the past decade, the policy is on the books but not used in many schools.

"I don't think it's that simple anymore," said Terry Constantine, who added that she hasn't swung a paddle in her 16 years as an elementary school principal there. "We look for our parents to work with us now."

At Alvin High School, where the technique is used, Principal Kevon Wells said he had paddled students about six times this school year. If a student continued to misbehave, he said, he wouldn't do it again. "I'm not into beating kids," he said.

But in Temple, a city just outside Fort Hood that shakes with the air horns of the trains that pass through its rail yards, many residents say they hope that the old-fashioned solution can address what they see as rising disrespect among youth. They say their discipline problems aren't different from those in any other school system in the country: students showing up late for class, or violating the dress code, or talking during lessons. Those habits were unheard of in the days when schoolteachers routinely swung a paddle, they say.

"Back then, you wouldn't throw spitballs, because you were afraid of the consequences," said Darr Kuykendall, a worker for a plumbing supply company.

"A lot of kids have tempers," said Abby Jones, a junior at Temple High School. "Those kids that would be paddled would think of it as a threat . . . and maybe would be better."

Parents also pushed for the change because many paddle their children at home and wanted consistent discipline in the classroom, said John Hancock, assistant superintendent of administration for the Temple schools, who has been an educator for more than 40 years.

"We're rural central Texas. We're very well educated, but still there are those core values. Churches are full on Sundays," Hancock said. "This is a tool we'd like in the toolbox for responding to discipline issues."

Hancock, an urbane, sturdily built Colorado native who wears horn-rimmed glasses, said the school system had banned corporal punishment about six years ago because a state law change made what was permissible uncertain. Follow-up made clear that schools could paddle, he said.
Since the policy was changed in May, the school system has paddled only one student, and that was at the request of his parent, Hancock said.

Many districts, including Temple, which is nearly evenly divided among white, black and Hispanic students, require parental consent before the punishment is given. Temple also requires the student's consent, Hancock said, and the punishment is considered equivalent to an out-of-school suspension.

Residents said restoring paddling is less about the punishment and more about the threat.

"It's like speeding," said Bill Woodward, a graphic designer. "Are they going to give you a speeding ticket, or . . . a warning? I'd speed all day if I knew it was going to be a warning."

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't say that I agree with schools paddling for misbehaving . Tina went to a private school when We lived in Alabama . They asked for permission from the parents to do this .
My position was if they have to resort to this , I should have been informed of Tina's behavioral problems long before resorting to this method . It's called being involved as a parent .

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
when I went to school, back in the stone age, paddling was always used on us. No one was warped by it. It was so common that it became a badge of courage to get pops. We laughed it off and knew that we had committed an error and it was paid for and forgotten except that we all got a laugh out of it. It was much better to get popped than have a letter sent home that we were being bad in school. The coaches usually used a paddle like a flat baseball bat and would use the good old two handed swing. It made for a really red butt which was always good for a laugh in the showers. I consider this much ado about nothing!!!!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't say that I agree with schools paddling for misbehaving . Tina went to a private school when We lived in Alabama . They asked for permission from the parents to do this .
My position was if they have to resort to this , I should have been informed of Tina's behavioral problems long before resorting to this method . It's called being involved as a parent .

Parents involved typically don't have children with behavior issues.

Those not involved are typically the ones that expect others to care for their children.

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
It teaches kids that if someone dresses the wrong way, or says something you don't like, it's ok to beat them. I suspect that every single one of us in this forum would get paddled if we were to say the things we say to a teacher, yet we find a way to work out our differences without violence. I think paddling is a lazy way shut kids up instead of teaching them to be responsible adults.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It teaches kids that if someone dresses the wrong way, or says something you don't like, it's ok to beat them.

I hardly think this is what is meant to qualify as corporate punishment. Of course most will exploit such minor misbehaving to make a point I guess.

I can honestly say when I got mine in school it was well deserved and for much more serious acts of defiance. I also know it worked the majority of the times when used by teachers. I think parents today need to sit in some of the classes and just see what teachers put up with, it ain't just one or 2 bad kids anymore. They all know they can get away with being disruptive and defiant.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Parents involved typically don't have children with behavior issues.

Those not involved are typically the ones that expect others to care for their children.

Then maybe the parents ,or more likely parent should be held to task . :whistling:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Then maybe the parents ,or more likely parent should be held to task . :whistling:

Totally agree! Lack of discipline is a trait handed down from previous generations and some have just gotten too skewed to include very little or no discipline!

Chetdb

Worst thing ever done to teachers was taking away their ability to touch the students... Be it a hug for doing good or a swat for doing bad. And yes there is a line between abuse and beating that cannot be crossed. What happened to personal responceability? The common sense to know the difference between right and wrong?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well as someone that came up in the time not only did our parents lay hands on us but so did the school system usually followed by our parents again I totally approve of it. Respect to me is just another word for fear which is healthy for most. The very thing that keeps all in line with the laws of the land is the fear/respect for the law, knowing if we break it then pain will follow in one form or other. I probably spanked my kids once in their lives but still get respect from them and all 3 boys are stronger and younger than me. They have raised their kids the same way and their kids I'm happy to be around also.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Worst thing ever done to teachers was taking away their ability to touch the students... Be it a hug for doing good or a swat for doing bad. And yes there is a line between abuse and beating that cannot be crossed. What happened to personal responceability? The common sense to know the difference between right and wrong?

Chet ,substitute the word teachers for the word parents ,and We'll come close to agreement . Teachers =math , language ,science ,etc .
Family = moral values .

Chetdb

How about a compromise of saying Both parents and teachers? The thought of being turned in for swatting the behind of one of my kids in public is a real fear.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
How about a compromise of saying Both parents and teachers? The thought of being turned in for swatting the behind of one of my kids in public is a real fear.

Chet , I can see Your point . But, I can't compromise on mine , If the teacher has a problem with My child ,I want to know about it before it results in a stranger administering the paddle . I can promise You that there will be no problems that need to be dealt with by paddling on the teachers part .

Chetdb

When I was in school would much rather of had it taken care of in school rather than at home. Still vividly remember the time dad had been gone for a few days and first thing he did was swat my butttt. " if you haven't done sumthing you thought about it" Have to agree he was right. Swat my buttt with his belt yep. did it turn me into an axe murderer Nope. Punishment does not equal beating. IMHO

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Chet , Your point is well made . My "old Man " made it a point to lecture . These lectures could last up to two hours depending on the violation . There was always a test at the end of the lecture . If I failed it ,the whole thing was repeated from sentence one . It very much instilled in me the notion of consequences for my actions .

loboloco

Chet , Your point is well made . My "old Man " made it a point to lecture . These lectures could last up to two hours depending on the violation . There was always a test at the end of the lecture . If I failed it ,the whole thing was repeated from sentence one . It very much instilled in me the notion of consequences for my actions .
Used a very effective method on my children. First I would explain why they were being punished, then I would administer the punishment(usually 3 licks with a belt). After that it was done. They turned out PDG if an old fart can give his opinion.
Also, every teacher had the authority to use corporal punishment if they felt it was necessary(in writiing). Only question I would ask is what occurred, so I would know whether or not more action was necessary.