• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Chainsaw!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, not exactly new. On my way to the dump this morning I spot a orange chainsaw on a table at a lawn sale.

Hit the binders Butch. Yeppers, it's an old Kioritz Echo 452 VL chainsaw. I loved those back in the day. Couldn't kill them, even if you tried. The guy says I dunno anything about it. Nearest he could tell, it's been sitting in his Dad's basement for at least 30 years. Well, long story short, he wants $25, we settle on $15. I guess I have a project. LOL.

Gotta take it apart and determine what the carb is so I can order a rebuild kit for it and go from there.

Pics to follow. Nixon, are you listening? LOL

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kioritz,

Now that is a name I have not heard in a while. I also didn't know they made Echo brand saws. Do they still? I assume not..

I know these engines from back in the 70's when John Deere was using them in their snowmobiles. They were pretty good reliable engines, and Raider twin tracks used them as well.

I guess you lean something new every day..

Regards, Kirk

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats !Just got two of those running for a farmer down the road about a month ago . Pretty neat and darned near bullet proof ! A lot of the parts are still available .pay close attention to the fuel line . It Makes a long run from the tank ,through the flywheel area . They like to turn into consistency of bubble gum because of e10 fuel .
You can find parts for it at partstree.com ,and ereplacementparts.com.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Kioritz,

Now that is a name I have not heard in a while. I also didn't know they made Echo brand saws. Do they still? I assume not..

I know these engines from back in the 70's when John Deere was using them in their snowmobiles. They were pretty good reliable engines, and Raider twin tracks used them as well.

I guess you lean something new every day..

Regards, Kirk

Kioritz was the parent company of Echo back in the day. Echo is currently under new management but I do not recall the name. Man I was hoping it was a Kioritz Echo when I saw the orange saw driving by. Damned near cut a guy off in my haste to turn around. When I saw what it was, I knew I was not leaving home without it. LOL.

Congrats !Just got two of those running for a farmer down the road about a month ago . Pretty neat and darned near bullet proof ! A lot of the parts are still available .pay close attention to the fuel line . It Makes a long run from the tank ,through the flywheel area . They like to turn into consistency of bubble gum because of e10 fuel .

Thanx for the info Nixon. I knew you would have some inside info. When I get some time I will tear it down and see what I got. New fuel lines, carb kit and plug go without saying. I'll go from there.

Not sure it has ever seen ethanol gas. The story says it has been sitting for damn near 30 years. That pre dates E10 gas. It certainly has 30 years of crud on it. LOL.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Nixon, thanks for those two links. I found some air cleaners for my 1976 Echo Chain Saw that my dealer told me are not available. Me thinks he just wanted to sell a new saw. Bob

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Pull the mffler as well ,and have a look at the piston and cylinder . Also, if the exhaust has a spak screen ,clean it if it's munged up . While you have the muffler off shoot some mix into the cylinder and let it get to the bearings . They're likely dry as a popcorn fart .
Left out one parts source .... Repairclinic.com Sometimes it pays to compare prices at all of them .
If you want , I can true up and do a good grind on that chain for you .

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Pull the mffler as well ,and have a look at the piston and cylinder . Also, if the exhaust has a spak screen ,clean it if it's munged up . While you have the muffler off shoot some mix into the cylinder and let it get to the bearings . They're likely dry as a popcorn fart .
Left out one parts source .... Repairclinic.com Sometimes it pays to compare prices at all of them .
If you want , I can true up and do a good grind on that chain for you .

Thanx man. Looking to start checking things out tomorrow. I was going to help a friend on working on some drainage tomorrow, but it is supposed to be in the 90's so I doubt that will turn into a full day. I may call it a day at noon and come home and strip that saw in air conditioned comfort at my bench.

Funny, I was thinking about those bearings. 30 years is a long time for anything to sit in a barn/basement or wherever it was. Hell, I was 37 years old when that thing last had any pop to it. I had more pop then too. :biggrin::yum:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter

Bullet proof. I don't EVEN want to know how you know that!:hide:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanx man. Looking to start checking things out tomorrow. I was going to help a friend on working on some drainage tomorrow, but it is supposed to be in the 90's so I doubt that will turn into a full day. I may call it a day at noon and come home and strip that saw in air conditioned comfort at my bench.

Funny, I was thinking about those bearings. 30 years is a long time for anything to sit in a barn/basement or wherever it was. Hell, I was 37 years old when that thing last had any pop to it. I had more pop then too. :biggrin::yum:

Well , is it alive yet ?? :whistling: