• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Canned up a batch of COWBOY CANDY, Hawaiian Style

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Traditional Cowboy Candy is Jalapeño Peppers, often mixed with other peppers, and then pickled in a sweet syrup. Hawaiian style adds some pineapple.

So we had a nice mix of hot peppers, including Jalapeño, Cubano, and Pablano, then added some sweet peppers, pearl onions, and pineapple. Tossed in a little leftover cauliflower, but only because we didn't want to waste it and there was probably a bit over a cup worth of that for the whole batch.

Made up a BREAD & BUTTER style pickle juice and added in all of the pineapple juice we could save. Got a batch of 6 quarts. Simple water bath canning method, no need for a pressure cooker.

NOTE: When dealing with hot peppers its advisable to wear rubber gloves when cutting and packing them because no matter how much you wash your hands if you touch your face you will get pepper juice in your eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4305.jpg
    IMG_4305.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4308.jpg
    IMG_4308.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51

Umberto

I'm pickling beets today.

When I lived in WV the guys I knew canned hot Hungarian banana peppers that weren't for the young. They went well with hot Italian sausage and spagettttt.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like adding the pineapple to hot peppers because it adds a really interesting twist of sweetness (not much) to the heat of the peppers.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I'll admit that you're a better man than I.

I just can't handle HOT peppers. I've eaten them under various names in anything up to melt your fillings strength in various parts of the world and I've never figured out why people want to punish themselves in that way.

About the hottest thing that I can comfortably handle is the TAM jalapeño. It's spicy, one might even say mild, but it gives you the taste without the burn and certainly not the pain of some peppers.

I admit that I'm a woos.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Boy, that looks good. Reminds me of my banana-pineapple-coconut-habanero salsa recipe. I love mixing the sweet with savory and spicey. :thumb: